SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Stuff to Buy and Sell

Notices

Stuff to Buy and Sell Classified ads for anything Segway-related accessories, products and sales.

Old 05-14-2003, 02:51 PM   #1
Sleepy
Sleepy is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Default Custom Seg LED Headlight Bar!

I've been getting impatient for Segway LLC to come out with their headlight accessory.
One of my buddies at work is designing and marketing a light bar for mountain bikes, and volunteered to make a LED light bar for my Seg!

I was just wondering how many Seg owners out there might be interested in something like this. It'll be 12-16 high intensity white LEDs that go across the front of the handle bar.
If there's enough interest, he might invest in some cool plastic enclosure for it, custom for Segs.

I'll post pics when I get it installed.

If you have any interest in it, please post a comment here. I think the unit with battery pack would be around $100 or so.

Thanks,
Alex

Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 03:49 PM   #2
KonaSegway
KonaSegway is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Hi Sleepy,
I've also been waiting for an official Segway light, in the meantime I'm using a headlamp from Home Depot and it works real well ... price is about $12.
The only problem I see with a light on the handlebar is that it'll probably interfere with the front bag.
See photo at :
http://www.konasegway.com/photos/2segs.jpg

close-up :
http://www.konasegway.com/photos/headlamp.jpg

Aloha,
Sam

http://www.konasegway.com
KonaSegway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 04:25 PM   #3
Stan671
Stan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I have found that low level (meaning near the ground, not dim) lights work better with the Segway to help spot cracks, heaves and cliffs on sidewalks.

I have two lights mounted on my Segway. One is on the control stick at the bottom of the round part and the other is on the top by the handlebars. This is a good variety of lighting angles to better highlight irregularities in the roadway or sidewalk.

I was thinking of making a light bar that mounts on the front of the platform. It would need to be low profile so that it does not get in way going up stairs.

And/or I was thinking about lights that mound on the top or top-front of the fenders.

Stan Dobrowski
Stan671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 04:50 PM   #4
Sleepy

Thanks for the input.
A light bar on the platform sounds like a great idea!
...maybe 6 LEDs on each side of the "SEGWAY" logo.

-Alex
Old 05-14-2003, 05:17 PM   #5
RAG1247
RAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud of

I installed a cateye stadium III light (metal halide, 3 hours run time, 3500 candlepower). a bit pricey (349) but well worth it because it allows you to be seen and you can see the road far enough to avoid trouble.

also use three red led w/velcro under back of unit

had shop make split bracket for mounting and rechargeable battery mounts in water bottle bracket. (if anyone wants a drawing let me know)

http://www.sonyguy.com/catseyehead.jpg

Richard
Ft. Lauderdale

Richard
Ft. Lauderdale

[img=left]http://www.sonyguy.com/stars_rag2.gif[/img=left] If you can’t change the people around you, change the people around you
RAG1247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 06:12 PM   #6
Stan671
Stan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to all

When I ride a night, I attach a small red blinking LED light to the back of my shirt collar. I got it for $10 in some store and it has a clip that works perfect for grabbing my clothes.

I prefer the idea of the red tail light up high in the air rather than down by the platform or wheels.

Stan Dobrowski
Stan671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 01:01 PM   #7
Sleepy

Update:
The prototype should be done on Monday.
My buddy isn't working on the battery pack. So that's my job for the weekend.
I'm probably going to go with Li-ion or NiMH. I'm going to size it for 1.5-2 hours of life, since I doubt that anyone will be riding a Seg at night for more than 2 hours at a time even with the rumored Li-ion pack for the Seg.

Also, I was thinking... blinking red LEDs attached to the screws that hold on the handle bar grips.

-Alex
Old 05-17-2003, 12:49 AM   #8
Deviant
Deviant

5 yr Member

Alex, I like oversizing batteries so that they don't have to drain down more than 50%, to increase their lifespan.

I'm looking forward to seeing these lights. We want pics! (then prices....)
Deviant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 03:07 AM   #9
Sleepy

Deviant, thanks for the suggestion-- that's a good point.
It looks like the parts won't be in until later next week. So it might be a few more days before I get the prototype rigged up. Also, my buddy wants to laser cut the PCB to fit the front of the Seg better than just a rectangle. So I owe him a trace of the front of my Seg on Monday.
The latest concept for the prototype is a single PCB that fits under the front trim/bumper, with 6 LEDs on either side of it. It'll be within the profile of the wheels so they don't hit stairs when climbing up or down.
I'll post pics ASAP.
Old 05-22-2003, 04:37 PM   #10
Sleepy

Here's pics of the prototype board.
It's just wired up to see if the electronics work. I think the package will be much smaller in the final version.
The light coming off the LED's is a blueish white. It's a lot brighter in person than it looks in the pics.

http://www.geocities.com/zeek71/