SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > New Member Introductions

Notices

New Member Introductions Welcome to our community! Come in and introduce yourself to other members!

Old 07-27-2008, 09:50 AM   #1
mymirage77
mymirage77 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Peoria, IL - New Segway Owner

Hi everyone,

My family and I recently took a Segway tour that was offered on the Peoria area river front and had so much fun that I decided to get a Segway of our own.

I live about 12 miles from my workplace but no safe way to use for my commute. The highways don't have any shoulders so I don't see how I could use it safely but having said that we can use for short rides in our neighborhood and I think it would also be fun to take to other places where we can glide.

Looks like in this forum and when I google this that some people you encounter may be segway haters. So much intolerance in the World. I'm an avid exerciser and in great shape so I didn't get the segway for mobility issues (at least at this point in my life) but it was just so much fun and such a natural way to travel. I bet if a few of those segway haters actually rode one then they would likely change their minds. Nothing against biking or jogging as I do that as well but it just puts you in such a good mood when you glide.

Hope to learn more as I am new to this.

John
mymirage77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 10:13 AM   #2
4rmgt
4rmgt is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

John,

Congrats on joining the family. Yes there are those that are less educated and tolerant than others. I have found most people to be curious more than anything.

If you are ever up near Chicago, drop me a line and we can go for a glide!

Personal sites:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
4rmgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:09 AM   #3
mymirage77
mymirage77 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Thanks for the invitation and I may take you up on it. My oldest son is attending classes as Northwestern up in Evanston. Oddly enough I have yet to see a Segway in Chicago. That includes downtown and Evanston. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places and I haven't really spent any time on the lake front.

Do you wear a helmet when you ride your segway? I know that it is likely a personal choice but I was just curious.
mymirage77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:48 AM   #4
4rmgt
4rmgt is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I use my helmet most of the time I am on a glide. I have to admit, it I am just running a few blocks to the bank, sometimes I won't put it on, but normally I wear it.

WITHOUT a DOUBT, if I hit the lakefront path it is on. I have seen to many incidents. Mainly Cyclists thinking they are Lance Armstrong and trying to go 25+ MPH on a path meant for walkers, joggers, etc everyone.. So you shouldn't be going that fast there.

Personal sites:

4rmgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:50 PM   #5
BarryT
BarryT is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Hi John!!!!!!!!!!!!! You've just found a great place to hang out, learn , contribute, and everything else segway. Have fun man!
BarryT is offline   Reply With Quote