SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 09-30-2002, 10:53 AM   #1
n/a
n/a is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member
Default Recent news...

A number of articles have come out in the last few days that are worth looking at:

http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pb...9280843&Ref=AR

Quote:
quote:Starting next year Californians could be zipping along sidewalks on electric personal assistive mobility devices under a bill signed Saturday by Gov. Gray Davis.
Quote:
quote:Segway has built an assembly plant in Manchester, N.H., that is designed to produce 40,000 transporters a month by the end of 2003.
Apparently they are willing to tell us what they plan to produce by the end of 2003, but not what they are producing now. Is that because they are not producing very many?

Quote:
quote:Torlakson's bill takes effect March 1 and will sunset on Jan. 1, 2008.
Will March 1 be the date for the consumer model launch I wonder?

http://www.unionleader.com/articles_...?article=14512

Quote:
quote:Plans call for consumer models to be made available in a few locations late this year or early 2003. The price will be somewhere between $3,000 and $5,000, he said.
Hopefully the price will include the extra gear required in some states.
n/a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 03:51 PM   #2
n/a

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:“They’ve become a little more commonplace,” agreed Shane McDonough, manager of Margaritas Mexican Restaurant. Most of the Segway riders come in at dinnertime, riding the machines right to their tables.

“I don’t agree with them riding them into the restaurant, but I know why they’re doing it; they want to sell it,” McDonough said.
Hope there will be more tolerance for this sort of thing in the near future. It would alleviate the storage/security problem.

We know about drive-in restaurants, I wonder who will be the first to open a Segin-restaurant?
Old 09-30-2002, 04:56 PM   #3
muckle
muckle

5 yr Member

>> Manchester police, however, report no problems with Segways. No collisions. No pedestrian accidents. No tickets. <<

Oh, my. We may have to talk rollin, cheney & groovy off the ledge!
muckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 04:58 PM   #4
CephasH
CephasH

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:
Quote:
quote:
“I don’t agree with them riding them into the restaurant, but I know why they’re doing it; they want to sell it,” McDonough said.
Hope there will be more tolerance for this sort of thing in the near future. It would alleviate the storage/security problem.

We know about drive-in restaurants, I wonder who will be the first to open a Segin-restaurant?
But where do Segways get stored once they are inside the restaurant? I can see that if a party of 6 rolls in on Segways that there is going to be a crowding problem around their table. A riderless Segway has the footprint of an extra chair. The storage problem hasn't been alleviated, just moved to a new venue. McDonough has a legitimate gripe. This is going to be an ongoing issue at restaurants, theaters, reception areas in offices; anywhere that you are going to dismount and take a seat.

Regarding Segin-restaurant: Don't push your luck and try the drive-thru window at Wendy's in the US. They have a formal policy of not taking orders from pedestrians, skaters or bicycles. Something about liability and not wanting them to get squished by cars. Bet that it will extend to Segways.
CephasH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 05:18 PM   #5
CephasH
CephasH

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by muckle

>> Manchester police, however, report no problems with Segways. No collisions. No pedestrian accidents. No tickets. <<

What could they ticket a Segway for?
And what will happen to the first Segway/DEKA employee who does generate serious negative Segway publicity? I hear Kamen has a pretty short fuse.
CephasH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 05:49 PM   #6
ziggystardust_
ziggystardust_

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CephasH

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by muckle

What could they ticket a Segway for?
And what will happen to the first Segway/DEKA employee who does generate serious negative Segway publicity? I hear Kamen has a pretty short fuse.
since segway riders are regulated as pedestrians I imagine the same infractions would apply, so a ticket could be issued for things like jaywalking (jaysegging?).
ziggystardust_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 05:52 PM   #7
ziggystardust_
ziggystardust_

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Lawrence
Apparently they are willing to tell us what they plan to produce by the end of 2003, but not what they are producing now. Is that because they are not producing very many?
evidently, also note that the statement you quoted shows what the factory will be capable of producing by the end of 2003 (once the facility has been fully ramped up and staffed), not what Segway plans on producing.
ziggystardust_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 07:33 PM   #8
4Seg
4Seg

5 yr Member

Quote:

A number of articles have come out in the last few days that are worth looking at:

Quote:
quote:Starting next year Californians could be zipping along sidewalks on electric personal assistive mobility devices under a bill signed Saturday by Gov. Gray Davis.
Quote:
quote:Segway has built an assembly plant in Manchester, N.H., that is designed to produce 40,000 transporters a month by the end of 2003.

Quote:

Quote:
quote:Plans call for consumer models to be made available in a few locations late this year or early 2003. The price will be somewhere between $3,000 and $5,000, he said.
Does anyone remember my TIQ/Segway p-series predictions?
March 1st lol

If we could only be resellers...

See the Segway clips! http://www.stlsegway.com/movies
4Seg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 07:35 PM   #9
4Seg
4Seg

5 yr Member

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
prediction was also made on this forum as well. Did anyone read about the case study to be conducted in CA? The p will need to be available and legal to do the study.

If we could only be resellers...

See the Segway clips! http://www.stlsegway.com/movies
4Seg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 07:57 AM   #10
n/a

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:evidently, also note that the statement you quoted shows what the factory will be capable of producing by the end of 2003 (once the facility has been fully ramped up and staffed), not what Segway plans on producing.
U are right Ziggy, the fact that "Segway has built an assembly plant in Manchester, N.H., that is designed to produce 40,000 transporters a month by the end of 2003" does not meant that they have plans to do so. But in the context I interpret it as they "hope" to do so or anticipate a potential need to be able to produce at that magnitude. For all we know, "designed" simply means that they have enough space to expand production if needed.