SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 09-25-2002, 11:45 PM   #1
Brooster
Advanced Member
Brooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to all

5 yr Member
Default The Chicago Thing

It's been a week since the news story broke of the City of Chicago leasing six Segways for a three-month trial.

Not one word has been said in the media here since the Sun-Times article of 9/20 ... and no sightings have been reported. Not in the parks, not on the lakefront bike path, not in the downtown area, not at the airports.

Nothing. Daley got his ride. Did he reneg on the deal?

Your Chicago reporter,
Broo

Edit: GyroGo tells me to be patient. Well, okay ... yep, it's only been a week.

Brooster
Brooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 12:18 AM   #2
ftropea
ftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member

Hey, if everything happened in a week.. why would I need to have a retirement plan? Right? RIGHT?! :P

Yeah.. who knows. I wouldn't be concerned, although I know it's tough to be patient

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea
ftropea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 12:39 AM   #3
Brooster
Advanced Member
Brooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to all

5 yr Member

It's killin' me, Frank. LOL

I'll say it again ... once you ride the thing, you'll be on a "high" for a week. You'll want one. You'll at least want to see one.

Brooster
Old 09-26-2002, 12:46 AM   #4
ftropea
ftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member

Hey, am I not enthusiastic enough!? Now you want me to actually ride one? Are you nuts? I'll probably leave my wife for Ginger

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea
Old 09-26-2002, 01:16 AM   #5
Brooster
Advanced Member

5 yr Member

NO, don't do THAT, Frank ... especially after what we heard about your wife (former model, gorgeous, obviously a wonderful gal, etc.) ... Ginger can wait! LOL

All the best,
Broo

Brooster
Old 09-26-2002, 03:25 PM   #6
ftropea

5 yr Member

Any progress in Chicago since your last message? :P

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea
Old 09-26-2002, 04:01 PM   #7
Brooster
Advanced Member

5 yr Member

Not that I've seen, Frank. There were a ton of TV trucks out at O'Hare this morning at 7am, but I doubt it was Segway-related ... I'll keep watching the newspapers, the TV Web sites, and keep watching the lakefront bike bath, but so far ... not a thing. I'd really think that if they didn't want to use them on the sidewalks, the lakefront bikepath would be one of the more obvious choices. They could get out and interact with the public, and they could really get a good test of the distance capabilities of the machine ... there are milepost markers.

Brooster
Old 09-28-2002, 02:23 AM   #8
Brooster
Advanced Member

5 yr Member

Still no sightings (that I'm aware of) and no word in the local media.

Brooster
Old 09-29-2002, 01:34 AM   #9
Brooster
Advanced Member

5 yr Member

Another day gone by, with no word ...

As I said on the DC today, I'm beginning to wonder if the lady cop's comments in the 9/19/02 Sun-Times article (see the "Mayor Daley" thread on this board) didn't rub the New Hampshire folks the wrong way ... causing them to recall the machines and scratch the whole program. That'd really be a shame. I can see how that might happen, but let's hope that's not the case. I've sure been looking forward to seeing them personally, and reading/seeing good things in the media.

Let's hope the six machines are still here, and that we will indeed see them being used. Again, as I suggested on the DC, perhaps one Segway is now in the mayor's basement--and he and his buddies are doing laps around the pool table, yuking it up.

In the meantime, I hope you've all seen Casey's news post about the Toledo, Ohio test. Two months, 20 machines, with very specific assignments for all 20. This is the way a test should be run. Thanks to Casey for the article.

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs...9270068&Ref=AR

Brooster
Old 10-02-2002, 07:49 PM   #10
Brooster
Advanced Member

5 yr Member

Well guys, I'd hoped to have something to report by now, but it's now nearly two weeks later ... and there's not been a word in the media. I have to think this program has quietly been scratched.

Brooster