PDA

View Full Version : Owners' Roll Call (Archive Only)

Blinky
11-25-2003, 07:58 PM
[u]Early Segway Adopters!</u>
Let's keep a running list of new Segway owners here. If you are a new Segway HT owner, place your SegwayChat name, city/state, date/time (include time zone) and print number (date/time of return confirmation email from Amazon.com) of purchase, a quick quote how you will be using/riding your Segway, and your Segway personal website or *BLOG (if you've got one).

*SegwayChat hosts personal website/blogs (journals) for any SegwayChat member that requests one. Email me at: segwaychat@segwaychat.com with you SegwayChat member name and state you would like to start a blog.

We will be monitoring this thread and updating THIS post. Just post your info and we will add it to this post.

If you aren't a SegwayChat member, what are you waiting for? Register Here (http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/policy.asp)

TOTAL SEGWAY HT OWNERS: 718

Welcome newest member Ahoy / Villa Park, CA!

TOTAL CONTEST WINNERS: 9/30

Winners of the Early Delivery Contest (EDC) are in red. (Thanks Cosmo for the suggestion.) I apologize if I missed anyone. Please send me an email and I'll be sure to make the changes.

[list]
[8] GlideMaster / Chicago, Il. 11/18/2002 06:35:56AM CST Print # 1050
quote:"Just wanted to state that mine will be used to go back and forth to work now and then. Also to run errands in my neighborhood. I also want to take it out west when I go skiing, it would help in getting around not in skiing."<div align="right">Website: http://www.segwaychat.com/photos/weskifm</div id="right">
[8] Greenbean / (no location) 11/18/2002 07:10AM Print #324
quote:no quote...
[8] 4Segway / St. Louis MO 11/18/2002 7:46AM CST Print #380 quote:"Plan to ride the Segway to many sporting events and happenings in the downtown St. Louis area. Living and working here makes Segway ideal for almost any commute."<div align="right">Website: http://www.stlsegway.com/</div id="right">
[8] Sleepy / Santa Clara, CA 11/18/02 10:02AM PST Print #340 quote:"I don't really have a need for a Segway, and I'm
still going to use my car to commute to work (7 miles away). So my gliding will pretty much be limited to going to the grocery store or cafe down the street, and maybe on the golf course if the kick stand doesn't get too annoying. But the Segway is a cool piece of technology, and I like to support stuff like that."
[8] Lazarus / Western Massachusetts 11/18/2002 12:24PM EST Print #760
quote:"I plan to use my Segway to eliminate the awkwardness and stumbling caused by multiple sclerosis. I plan to use it to grant me the grace of movement I think I would have if not for the ms!"
[8] Paddleboy / Kailua Kona, Hawaii 11/18/2002 1:58PM HST Print #847 quote:"Cruising around town and giving rides to the tourists. :)"

[8][/e] Jameskk / Spartanburg, South Carolina 11/18/02 4:14PM ET Print #845
quote:"I plan to have fun getting around my neighborhood at first.. but sure to find practical uses over time."
[8] Brooster / Chicago, Il. 11/18/02, 9:39pm CST 11/18/2002 Print #1869quote:"A great Christmas gift from LadyBroo! If it proves practicable, I may use mine to commute to work in downtown Chicago one day. In the meantime, I'm going to use it for short errands, visiting friends, and exploring neighborhoods of Chicago that I'd otherwise probably never visit in a car. It'll be a great way to get to know my city and its people in a whole new way. We'll put it in the back of the car when we're camping, or just visiting state parks for a day. I've often been on hiking trails and wondered ... if I'd had just a little more time, what I might see around that next bend. I may use it to find an out-of-the-way fishing hole. As time goes on, I'm sure I'll find all sorts of neat applications. I can't wait! :)"
[8] RAG1247 / FT. Lauderdale, Fl 11/18/2002 & 11/27/2002 Print #1339 and #2107
quote:will use for short trips to downtown and also maybe take on boat when going to places such as bimini bahamas, etc
[8] Steve1501 / Nashville 11/18/2002 8:36 CST Print #979quote:"I am a bankruptcy attorney in Nashville, and my plans are to use the Segway to get back and forth from Court. The Court Officers (US Marshals) have said that I can park it at their station right before I walk through the metal detector. It was really nice of them to agree to do that."
[8] Drucilla / Fort Worth, TX 11/18/2002 9:16AM Print #1001quote:"Like most of us,I have waited a year for the opportunity to purchase this wonderful machine and the time drug by like a glacier over tundra..I don't know how i will get past the next three months before they begin to ship...congrats to everyone who has ordered so far.."
[8] Lookforward / Los Angeles, CA Print #1274
quote:I'm here in los angeles, california, where i'll be zipping around my neighborhood and the beautiful old buildings in downtown l.a.--"...a crowded metropolis begging for better transportation options"
[8] Tlane / Minneapolis, MN 11/20/2002
quote:"Plan on using it daily on two commute routes in Minneapolis. A seven mile loop & a 9 mile r/t."
[8] J10 / San Diego, CA 11/26/02 Print #2339quote:I bought a Segway as my contribution to help pull us all a little closer to a better way of living.
[8] Wayne / Minden, La. 11/24/02 Print #1687
quote:"Plan on using Segway Chariot to ride at work and take to the drag races to ride around in the pits. And just to give my neighbors something to talk about."
[8] Hodgepoj / Dallas, Tx 11/25/02 10:58AM CST
quote:"As I said in my contest essay, I plan two primary uses for my machine: as part of an exhibition on the history of wheels at our hands-on science museum, and to enable my wife (who suffers from COPD) to travel outside the house without getting short of breath."

[8] Cosmo / Los Angeles, CA 11/28/02 10:28 PT Print #2381
quote:"Initially I plan to use my HT for fun and cruising in the SoCal sun :)"
[8] Emanresu(John) / Kingsport, Tennessee 11/29/02 8:30 CSTquote:"I'm going to zip around the jobs I do in my landscape and Irrigation business- saving energy for the actual work!"
[8] Flashgoirl and pt / Seattle, Washington 11/18/2002 at 10:43 PST Print #628 quote:"plan to ride it anywhere they'll let me :)"<div align="right">Website (pt): http://www.bookofseg.com</div id="right"><div align="right">Website (flashgoirl): http://www.segwaychat.com/photos/flashgoirl</div id="right">
[8] axiotek / Boston, Il. 12/04/2002 Print #2222quote:"Can't wait to take delivery. Now I have more choice in my mobility between bike, public transit, feet and Seg (in no particular order), since I don't own a car." <div align="right">Website: http://www.segwayboston.org/</div id="right">
[8] Sailor / Oakland, CA 12/04/2002 10:25PM PST Print #2307quote:My Segway will be used mainly for commuting. Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) won#8217;t allow bikes on their morning trains through San Francisco, so the Segway was the only reasonable alternative. I estimate it will save 121 hours of commute time year for me.
[8] RobbW / Santa Clarita, CA. 12/05/2002 Print #2147
quote: "I was worried about leaving my car at the train station because it has a lot of gear in it so I am driving 90 miles RT every day from Santa Clarita to Downtown Los Angeles. The Segway will allow me to leave my car at home and travel the 3 miles to the train from my house, and the 4 blocks in LA to my job! After doing the math, I found that the Segway will pay for itself over the life of my auto loan!"
[8] Sidsway / Atlanta, GA. 11/18/2002 Print #910 10:42AM EST
[8] Frank A. Tropea (ftropea-SegwayChat Admin)/Brooklyn, NY.12/12/2002 9:10:39 PM EST quote:"I'm not only SegwayChat.com's Admin, I'm also a client!" :)<div align="right">Website: http://www.SegwayChat.com</div id="right">
[8] Ron / Falls Church, VA. Print #2319 quote:"Think the next 3/4 months is going to kill me....is there any out there from Va.???"
[8] Halon / Mt. Laurel, NJ. 11/18/2002 11:00PM EST Print #977 quote:"I plan on using my segway for the short trips to my local convince stores, and possibly for neighborhood watch my community will be starting in the near future."
[8] Alan Travis / Phoenix, AZ. 11/19/2002 6:54PM Print #734 & Print #2166quote:"95 % of the reason I purchased my SEGWAY was for the chance to meet Dean Kamen and see his house and operation. I have been a Type A , student of engineering for most of my 48 years and I enjoy complex mechanical devices. I will let my Sony AIBO ride my Segway. Thanks for creating this forum."
[8] Paulding / Medford, Massachusetts 11/18/2002 9PM EST Print #664 quote:no quote...
[8] Jgassor / Lake Forest, CA. 11/19/2002 2:13PM PST Print #1354quote:no quote...
[8] Deviant / Houston, TX 12/7/2002 Print #1837quote:I had told my wife before about the area code, day of week, and time of my expected call (lots of SC research), so when we saw it on the CallerID, we knew. She listened in and said that it sounded as if I had been running. I don't recall being so nervous/excited before - I really was shaking. Now, more waiting until my January visit.
[8] Stevew / San Francisco peninsula 12/11/2002 Print #1879quote:El nino has kicked in big time in California! Just wish Segway's poster shipping container was as waterproof as the Segway itself. Will use my HT for trips around hilly Belmont, CA., about 30 miles south of San Francisco. Now awaiting that training schedule, May fly to LA if it gets me rolling sooner.
[8] Phil / Pass Christian, Mississippi Print #1577quote:Will use the Segway to move around town, the mall , etc really interested in the tech of it
[8] Jwood / Portsmouth, NH quote:no quote...
[8] Wheelie / Villa Hills, KY 11/18/02 9:50AM Print #350quote:"I plan to use the Segway HT to make the one-mile trek to my mailbox everyday. Sensing that my dog is worried about the possible loss of our walks together, I am teaching him to "wheel" instead of "heel" (at a very safe distance, of course)."
[8] JJstafford / (no location) quote:I had changed my lifestyle such before the Segway was invented that I don't really need it - but it's such a beautiful bit of technology that I thought rationalized ordering one by considering that it might be useful in our old age. I'm only 57. -- I thought my rather radical mother (only 80) might use it. No. She's a real walker. -- What touched me the very most in this thread was the comment from the individual with MS. I'd gift mine to someone with MS and such motivation. Bless you.
[8] Paulding / Medford, MA 11/18/2002 Print #644quote:no quote...
[8] Stutoonz / Rose Valley, PA 11/19/2002 quote:Didn't win the contest, so I guess I'll have to wait a bit to rec'v my Segway. I'm 71 and looking forward to riding my Segway around Rose Valley, PA (near Phila.) and taking it down the seashore to our summer home and riding it there on errands and just for fun!
[8] pam / Niceville, FL 12/02/02 8:42AM Print #2215quote:"I'll use it to go back and forth to work, the library and the store - and maybe, just maybe, let others try it out <G>. Hey, I"m on Frank's video!
"<div align="right">Website: http://www.segwaychat.com/photos/pam</div id="right">
[8] Terryp / Kenmore, WA(Seattle area) Print #973quote:"I have an ideal commute for the HT - 6.5 miles of paved bike trail. I usually make the trip on a recumbent, but will now have an alternative. I can travel horizontally or vertically! For neighborhood trips - barber, groceries, bank, etc., the HT will be perfect."
[8] Tak / Wausau, WI. 11/18/2002 8:00AM CST Print #383quote:"Being a bit weak and loving nature walks, I look forward to a whole new lease on life."
[8] MrTechno / Chicago Area 11/19/02 Print #1454
quote:"For over 15 years I've made new technology an important part of my business and my life. The Segway HT keeps me balanced on the cutting edge.
[8] Jane Jetson / Seattle, WA 12/30/02quote:I got a chance to try the Segway 12/10 through a program at work. Five minutes later -- I was hooked! I'm getting it through an early adopter program at work, not Amazon, so there's no print number. I can hardly wait -- the Segway soooo satisfies my inner :)

[8] The Turtle / Knoxville, Maryland Print #461quote:"I have unit number 461, an i-Series that's had the EPROM upgrade. It is (as far as I know) the first and possibly still the only HT in private hands in the state of Maryland (I live here, my wife lives and works there). Right now, I use the HT primarily as a gadget... I live 60 miles from work, so it's kind of impossible to commute on it, but I do use it at work to run down to get lunch or go over to the store. I've shown probably 60 or 70 people how to use the thing and am factory-trained, including how to train others. I will shortly be putting up my Segway page at the link below (but it
ain't there as of this writing). Thanks!"
[8] Linc2000 / San Diego, California 11/18/2002 12:00PM EST Print #1423
quote:I just got to talk about the Segway on CoastToCoastAM.com on the radio (January 2, 2003 about 1:15 AM PST). Apparently George Noory was not familiar with the Segway or the ibot. However his guest Joseph Jacobs knew about them. Segway had demo rides in San Diego. I stayed around most of the day and kept asking for more rides. The Segway people were very gracious in putting up with me all day. I am excited about getting delivery of my own Segway. Has anyone developed a sport that would be played on the Segway? Does anyone know how many Segways will delivered the first week of March? Congratulations to the contest winners who got to travel back to New Hampshire and meet with Dean Kamen and his team. linc2000@msn.com
[8] Karamozov / Levenworth, KS Print #1944
quote:"Any town that doesn't have sidewalks doesn't love its children."
- Margaret Mead
<div align="right">Website: http://www.segwaychat.com/photos/karamozov/</div id="right">
[8] Agbaar / Seattle, WA 01/06/03
quote:"I live in the Seattle, WA area, and it's intended for commuting to and from work (luckily, I live in range) as well as the usual fun reasons that I'm sure everyone has in mind. :)"
[8] Toybuilder / Pasadena, CA 01-05-2003 Print #2253
quote:I'm a big believer in alternative motorized transporation. I was a happy 2-stroke 50cc moped user until that died. I can't quite bring myself up to riding a full motorcycle in regular traffic, though. The Segway seems like the perfect idea for riding safely among people on sidewalks. I plan primarily to commute to/from work and to make small side-trips to places between work and home.
[8] Detrbear / (no location) 01/12/2003 01:06 AM Print #1790
[8] Lyle C / Miami, Florida Print #315
quote:Going to ride my segway to work every day
[8] Budsvet / Charleston, WV 11/18/2002 Print #1380
quote:"Was able to ride one model yesterday at the Charleston WV car show. Great ride but not as good as my C5 vette on a mountain road."
[8] 2totango (Ken Wood) / Seattle, Wa 11/19/02 Print #1269
[8] Across04 / St. Louis, MO 12/5/2002 06:35:56AM CST Print #2361
[8] Mzokc / OKC, OK 11/19/02 01:11PM CST Print #1428
quote:It's a quick glide to the state capital, downtown, baseball stadium, sports arena, convention center, library, museum, concert hall, stage center, Myriad gardens, art shows, parades, home tours, civic center, jury duty, memorial, medical center/health club, post office, bank, supermarket, bakery, fast food, bus station, train station, Jaguar/Mercedes dealer and the Bricktown canal and restaurants. At work, our wilderness trails can eliminate the lunch time drive.
[8] Peter iNova / Glendale California Print #2071
quote:digital photography eBook(s) author. I think these things have a potential use as camera dollies, too. How about a SteadyCam + Segway?<div align="right">Website: http://www.digitalsecrets.net/glidewalk/Home.html</div id="right">
[8] Segway Long Island / East Rockaway, NY 11/18/2002 11:37AM EST Print #611
[8] Glidester / Vero Beach, FL 12/25/2002 Print #1902
[8] Wheels / Tujunga, CA 11/18/02 Print #992
quote:"My wife left me but, what the hell, I'm getting a Segway" Life is Beautiful ! (just kidding honey).<div align="right">Website: http://www.segwaychat.com/photos/wheels/</div id="right">
[8] Defenbaugh / (no location) Print #912
quote:My wife didn't leave me but she might as well have. Wouldn't talk for a while. My HT will transport me to and from work--approximately a half mile. Also, it will be used for my enjoyment.
[/e] Jacksonshaw / Long Beach, Ca Print #701
quote:Received my E model today(02/12/2003). Will be using same to inspect Aircraft on Airports. Also completed Segway Technician Training.
[8] BruceWright / Sherman Oaks, California 02/16/03 2:00PM Print #2970
quote:Going to use it for commuting to work a couple of days a week, and short trips to local errands. Also for fun and recreation.
[8] Jillmac / Southern California
quote:I want to walk my dog again!!!!! I am chomping at the bit for the arrival
[8] Jlcasey / Bartlesville, OK. 11/18/02 1:38PM Print #1402
quote:Looking forward to the first couple months when they are new on the street. Lived in Houston when I placed the order. Job transfer and stuck in Oklahoma.
[8] Bill / New York 11/19/02 Print #1268
[8] Johnpowers / Elyria, Ohio 11/18/02 6:46PM EST Print #1370
quote:I'm a new member here although I've been visiting this site as a guest for months.
[8] Fan of Segway / Tucson, AZ 02/22/2003 9:00AM MST
quote:I plan to use my Segway to replace my car for my daily commute, and small grocery shopping runs. And, of course, for fun!
[8] Cstull / Scottsdale, AZ 11/18/2002 10:03AM MST Print #1199
quote:I haven't decided how I will use it yet. I was so impressed at the Newport Beach training that I bought a second one! Now that BOTH my wife and I will be gliding, I can see using it for cruising bike trails and exploring. We are already talking about taking them to Maui on vacation!
[8] Beckeys / (no location) 11/18/2002 Print #367
quote:The segway will be mostly for recreational purposes around the neighborhood and down to the post office, but I work in the field of automation and robotics so see it as a potential business tool as well.
[8] Drproctor / Dallas, TX 11/18/02 09:26 CST Print #1035
quote:Plan to ride around Highport Marina @ Lake Texoma. What a fun way to get around the restraunts, fuel dock & shops and visit friends.
[8] Attydog / San Francisco, CA 11/18/02 8:23AM PST
quote:Q How will I be using my Segway?!
A How WON'T I be using it?
[8] God1138 / Deer Park, Texas 02/10/03 8:00AM Print #2974
quote:I will be using my HT mostly for recreation and short trips - lunchtime errands and going to the mall & beach, to the grocery store, to school, and also because the technology behind the Segway is as flamboyant and different as I am. I've always been one to turn heads; that said, now I will certainly turn some more!
<div align="right">Website: http://www.segwaychat.com/photos/god1138/</div id="right">
[8] DonK / Glendale, CA 12/20/02 Print #1932
quote:I will be using my Segway for fun and for developing some new applications for the Segway in my Motion Picture Special Effects business.
[8] Dhugger / Merrimack, NH 02/14/03 Print #2996
quote:My Segway uses will be: Getting around campus at UNH quicker, keeping the mileage on my car nice and low, & having a LOT of fun :-)
[8] AtlSeg / Atlanta, GA 11/18/2002 4:32PM Print #347
quote:.... and he'll have fun, fun, fun 'til his daddy takes his segway away....
[8] LeonardoNYC / New York, NY (Manhattan) 11/20/02 4:13PM Print #1632
quote:I have been a segway fan since they were first announced. I orignally planned on using my segway to get to work, ride in Central Park and for seeing friends where I normally would have taken a taxi or my motorcycle-which I also keep in Manhattan. Hopefully local laws will soon allow me to do all of those and more!
[8] JGartmann / Manahawkin, NJ Print #2246
quote:I figure it is an even better solution than my electric golf cart for trips around the neighborhood.
[8] Numenaster / Tualatin, Oregon 03/07/03 09:00PM
quote:This one will be used to restore mobility to my partner after her spinal cord damage and surgery. She'll be able to take herself to the store rather than wait for me to drive her there, go to the bank, get a haircut, visit our son's apartment a mile away, even take herself to our doctor's office if an emergency strikes when I'm out of town. This Segway will literally give her the world back. $5000 is cheap for that.
[8] LarryL / Spokane, WA 12/9/02 8:29PM PST Print #2443 & #2444
[8] Mister_bigtime / Westchester, NY 02/26/03
quote:I plan on using Segway as a mobility aid if I can Mount/Demount.
[8] Chanakya7777 / Long Beach, California 01/23/2003 19:26 PST
quote:will use HT for getting around in the neighbourhood
[8] MsSchrader / Round Rock, TX 11/18/2002 Print #1288
[8] Star Wars Fan / Southlake, Texas 11/19/02 Print #458 and #459
quote:We are tooling around the neighborhood and to our town center.
[8] Dexter / Linden, NJ 11/24/2002 10:08PM EST Print #1559
quote:I'll be using mine at work (a screen printing facility, all on one level with ramps), for local errands, and for FUN. I'm looking forward to gliding around the line at the Ziegfeld in Manhattan while waiting for Star Wars: Episode III to open in 2005! I am part of an organization that raises money for charity at these premiers; we collected over $18,000 during our three week wait for Episode II last year. The Segway should make the event even more fun in 2005, I'm hoping maybe some other line participants may also have Segways by then! Anything that brings more attention and publicity to the line helps with the money-raising.
[8] MrBill / Kirkland, WA 12/23/02
quote:Used to ride back and forth between Microsoft buildings, as well as to run errands around town.
[8] Opti6600 / Miami, Florida
quote:I use mine to get to and from school, run errands, get food, and to meet friends around the neighborhood. I of course, also use it to demonstrate the wonder that is the Segway HT, particularly when in the control of an experienced individual.
[8] Jmem / Newton, Mass Print: #2025
quote:I bought my Segway for two reasons (beyond the obvious cool technology). First, I wanted to see what, if anything, it turns out to be good for in my daily world. Second, I wanted to see if it could be useful to my lady, a polio survivor with limited mobility. I know that the LLC doesn't countenance "medical" applications, but this really isn't that: it's just a possibly useful alternative to an electric scooter.
[8] Philphil / Ithaca, New York Print: #1009
quote:To get around this huge, hilly campus.
[8] Geekfactory / New York, NY 11/24/2002 11:47PM EST
quote:Anyhow, totally stoked for yet another way to get around NYC - obviously cars do NOT work here... Walking is fine, but this will be spectacular. Can't wait. :)
[8] Statmed / Bronx, NY 11/18/2002 05:49:28 Print: #1870
quote:Looking to have some fun, meet up with other Segway owners in NYC and use locally!!
[8] Private Pile / Los Angeles, CA Print: #1349
quote:I plan to use it to zip around my neighborhood for pure pleasure.
[8] Wwhopper / Washington, DC Print: #420 and #421
quote:I picked up our 2 Segs - and they are un-boxed and charging as I type this.
[8] Pkpaul / Falls Church, VA 11/18/02 9:32PM EST Print: #524 & #525
quote:I am offering weekly and monthly rentals of the Segway in the DC / Mid Atlantic area.
[8] Mac / New York, NY Print: #2295
quote:no quote
[8] Colonsmoke / San Diego, CA 4/10/03 9:24PM PDT Print: #2879
quote:I 'm going to be commuting to work [QUALCOMM Inc.] on my Segway HT from home, which is about 7 miles. As far as I know, I am the first QUALCOMM employee with a Segway HT. Since this is an engineering company with employees that like cool new things, I'm hoping that I will be the first of many!
[8] Boomer / Great Falls, MT 04/14/03 11:25AM MDT Print: #2347
quote:I plan to use the Segway for short trips that I would otherwise be using my Suburban for . . . and just for fun.
[8] Montie & Josie / Abilene, Texas
[8] Segwayowner / Newton, MA
[8] Lohja / Yorktown, VA 04/09/2003
quote:I will use my Segway for "fun". I could have spent $5,000 on a cruise--which would be a good memory; but a Segway is "forever" (I hope). I'm going to build a ramp for my van so I can demo it.
[8] Mike / Alliance, OH 11/18/2003 4:57PM EST Print: #877
quote:I purchase to satisfy my interest in this revolutionary technology and to help me interest our First Robotics club (Alliance High School) students in engineering and technology.
[8] TedS / West Linn, OR Nov 19, 2002/8:38am PST Print: #744
quote:Still grinnin'
[8] Kinky / Alexandria, VA 04/07/2003 8:00AM
[8] Wizzy / Vancouver, BC 11/20/2002 6:35am PST Print: #1261
quote:My wife and I have met hundreds of interesting people, learned much more about our area and heard the words "cool, way cool, awsome and I want one" oftener in twenty days than the previous 20 years.
[8] Coolglider / San Gabriel, CA
quote:Cruising through the neighborhood and running errands in San Gabriel!
[8] Chadr / Bismarck, North Dakota Print: #1227
[8] Fastfreddie / Greeley, CO 12/19/2002 7:58pm MST Print: #800
quote:I will use my Segway HT for commuting to work and running errands on nice days.
[8] Gclark7 / Livonia, MI Print: #1663
quote:Gliding around Livonia, and New Boston, Michigan since early April
[8] CharlesGust / Seattle, WA 11/18/2002 4:25pm PST Print: #736
quote:I glide to work on clear days, and while at work, use the HT as a "thinking platform" for brainstorming ideas on Rudy Rucker's "Freeware".
[8] Pemond1 / Ottawa, ON 03/02/2003 5:05PM EST Print: #2961
quote:Just completed training in NH. It was fun to see all the prototypes. Just Awesome .. can't wait to get my Seg.
[8] Zorba9 / North, Mississippi 11/18/2002 Print: #648
quote:liked our I model so much we recently purchased a E model to go with it - use them on University campus and around town.
[8] Elation / SF Bay Area, California 11/19/02 13:32 PDT Print: #1125
quote:To recreationally glide in some of the most interesting and beautiful places on the planet
[8] X-man / Chicago, IL
quote:I'll be using mine to get around Chicago, carrying my camera equipment and snapping shots. Much easier to get on and off the HT than it is with a bicycle. Maybe I'll try to get it to the top of the Sear's Tower some day. :-)
[8] q / colo spgs, co 05/14/03
quote:i'll be using it in colo spgs and denver,
co, but mostly in the spgs. ...glad to make your acquaintance!
[8] Ken / Chica, Ca 11/18/02 1:40PM PST Print: #899 and #1078
quote:Segwaying all over town on the coolest set of two wheels.
[8] ElectraGlide / Boca Raton, FL 03/03
[8] BigD / Fort Worth, Texas 04/11/03 02:46 CST Print: #3141
quote:I have been flying Jet Airplanes for fifty years and 23 of those years as a Fighter Pilot. I can say that this device is as much of a thrill at my age as it was for my experiences as a young man.
[8] Freeman949 / Mission Viejo, CA Print: #1713 and #2194
quote:We us our Segway#8217;s for running errands, visiting friends and gliding along the boardwalks along some of the best beaches in the world.
[8] Seguser / Tulsa, Oklahoma
quote:I will mainly be shipping the Segway to cities I visit and using it in those cities.
[8] JRMiller / Palm Harbor, FL 05/26/03
quote:How do you spell Parkinsons relief ????? SEGWAY1111 do you need my serial number?
[8] Freddy / Valencia Pa 11/18/02 06:47 EST Print: #1047
quote:I use my Segway all day long in the warehouse and between the other buildings I saves me alot of time , I also show it off and give hundreds of rides to everybody. Its great to watch them smile !!!
[8] DonBRoss / Wood Village, Oregon 11/19/2002 4:51PM EST Print: #1211
quote:I live in the suburbs of Portland where we have many connected sidewalks and very few pedestrians. IDEAL for Segway. I glide to the post office daily, shopping, bank, lunch, barber shop, etc., about 130 miles a month.
[8] Kaon / Euless, TX 06/19/2003 08:00PM CDT Print: #6788
quote:I'll be using my HT to commute to and from work. While I live fairly close to where I work, the lack of any direct path makes the "commute" quite a bit further than it needs to be. Besides, walking to work in Texas usually results in your arriving at work as a sodden mess of sweat-soaked clothing. The lack of shower facilities in the building kind of precludes me riding my bike or walking to work.
[8] Candy22 / Salt Lake City, UT [/b]
quote:LOVING IT
[8] Edh / Raleigh, NC [/b]
quote:Plan to use it to try and cut out ~40 miles a week of car use. And of course for fun!
[8] Jackier / Honolulu, HI [/b]
quote:I will be using my Segway to travel between weddings in Waikiki & Honolulu. I have a wedding service. And, just for fun & errands as often as I can.
[8] Scotty / St. Marys, Ohio [/b]
quote:I will use my Segway to improve my quality of life. I have
[8] Aacini / Mexico City, Mexico 12/23/2002 2:09PM CST
quote:If I could use my HT everyday I would do it, but I can't. I will use it in sporadic pleasure trips as a recreation vehicle, mainly in my annual two weeks travel to Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo, Mexico.
[8] Ulsterseg1 / Kingston, NY 01/24/2003
quote:i use my seg as an aid because i have ms.i also love glideing every place i can.it was my new found legs.
[8] EricNR / Port Jefferson, New York
quote:I plan to use it for shopping, touring, fun, proseltizing (sp?) and day trips to NYC via the railroad
[8] Joe Linn / Roseville, MN
quote:I plan to use my Segway for commuting to and from work most days (5 miles each way) and for short errands. I don't know how far into the winter I will continue to commute on it. Minnesota winters can be pretty brutal.
[8] Skeptical / Santa Monica, CA
quote:I am enjoying my Segway to commute to my community garden, to dinner at the UCLA, Santa Monica Cafeteria most evenings, ten blocks each way. I do a lot of visting along the way. I have had electric bike and an electric scooter the Seqway is so far superior as a way to get around the neighborhood.
[8] Chapinville / Destrehan, LA
quote:Using my Segway a little at work (Injection Molding/industrial plant) and a lot of riding around town.
[8] Stuart / San Jose, CA
quote:I've just been riding it around my neighborhood. Having a good time, showing it to people. No website, yet.
[8] Sagoo / Midvale, UT 08/27/03
quote:Practical, schmactical: this thing is just too much F U N !
Woo hoo!
[8] IndyFIRSTengineer / Indianapolis, IN SegwayFest raffle winner!
quote:After about a month, when I get off my HT for the first time, I will be enjoying the semi-celebrity status and attention, giving MANY, MANY, MANY demos, using IT for errands which do not require a large payload, and in any other way I can to benefit the FIRST robotics organization and help promote the positive uses of this fantastic technology ... AND JUST FOR FUN!
[8] Uber Glider / Indianapolis, IN
quote:I commute to and from work, including lunch. At 2.5 miles per commute, that's 10 miles a day. I get a warm fuzzy when I realize my car hasn't moved from the driveway in weeks....
[8] BobC / Louisville, KY 09/06/2003
quote:I'll be using my HT to have FUN! My wife said it best: I feel like I'm 10 again! The other real benefits include economical gliding and exploring this exciting technology. Everyone who sees it is amazed. The HT is an automatic facial exercise machine. You can't get on it without smiling!
[8] Island Girl / Dublin, Ohio 09/10/2003
quote:I plan on using it to replace my car for short trips around my neighborhood and for gliding with my husband (Cruzan Glider). We now are a 2 Segway household.
[8] Cruzan Glider / Dublin, Ohio 08/21/2003
quote:Purchased it from NEVrland. I will be using it to replace my car for short trips around my community and for spreading the word about the benifits of the Segway. I am also looking forward to gliding with my wife........Island Girl.
[8] Fireballfive / Decorah, Iowa
quote:The nearest sidewalk is 20 miles away so I will haul it in the SUV every time I use it. Drives right up the ramp, neat! I can stand all day but not walk without pain so it opened up the world again.
[8] Joebarnin / San Diego 09/04/03
quote:My mobility is limited (I have MS) so I mostly plan to use my HT for doing the sorts of things that I used to be able to do: long walks with my wife, spending the day the Balboa Park, the Zoo, and so on. Also short errands in the neighborhood.
[8] Jim Coleman / Deer Park, Texas 08/19/2003
quote:Glide to work 4 out of 5 days (1.3 miles one way)
[8] Mr Laurenzano / Shell Beach, CA
quote:DONT TRY TO OUT RUN A RADIO CONTROLED CAR
[8] Tucsonbart / Tucson, AZ
[quote]quote:If they don't know you're alive . . . .you're dead.!"
Tucsonbart; Tucson, AZ;Local errands and clowning for charity worldwide. Newspaper article and photo from yesterday's edition of "Dooey" the clown on his Segway at this link: http://www.explorernews.com/north

Blinky
09-07-2004, 07:42 PM
Segway Owners Roll Call updated as of 07/03/2005

http://www.segwaychat.com/photos/Blinky/Blinkyblink.gif http://www.segwaychat.com/photos/Blinky/mrblinky.jpg

dpk-dpk@pacbell.net
11-02-2005, 03:40 PM
I am a new owner of the XT here in Walnut Creek Ca. I use mine for fun and to do local errands. I want to play polo if I can learn to ride well enough. I don't know any other owners and I have no way of finding any. I also wanted to know about routine repairs. What usually goes wrong and what is the usual fix? Are there any regular events scheduled in my area? Polo seems like a great idea, but isn't Segway hockey more appropriate? Are there any plans in the works to have the new batteries last even longer and be less expensive? In general, I want to know what to expect as my "horse" ages. Thanks. DPK

dutchman
11-04-2005, 02:26 PM
Just bought my i-167. I should get it on Monday or Tuesday so I cant wait to glide. I have a disability, and have difficulty walking so I really hope this will help me alot.

Dutchman is my nick, there is where I am born and moved here to the Seattle area about 7 years ago.

Andre

jt_boston
11-06-2005, 03:54 PM
Just got two i-180 recently from Jared (JaredHT, SEGWAY of Ohio - http://www.segwayofohio.net) including accessories and those new LED lights. His passion, expertise, professionalism, pricing and super fast shipping made the difference!!!

Have been using these to glide into work and running short errand trips around the Boston downtown area with the significant other. Definitely the best way to travel around in congested traffic areas. Winter is coming and I look forward to trying them out in the snow (with extra traction tires of course!) :-)

yupochen
11-08-2005, 07:45 AM
i167, Auckland, New Zealand

www.paulchen.co.nz

Gaye
11-14-2005, 06:35 AM
My Segway arrived yesterday (i170) and I had today my inaugural run; TOTALLY and PHENOMENALLY brilliant!
I had a bit of a practise on nice flat concrete area and then joined all my family (including the dogs) on a mile long country walk long a farm track. Incidentally I can see the value of getting one of those comfort mats as on rough terrain you are are a trifle knackered!
ABSOLUTELY SUPERB! My little one said "Mummy you've never been this far with us before and now you can come out with us all the time, and you haven't got your sore hip (I have osteo arthritis) AND you can even take me out on my bicycle!"
It made every single penny and all the effort worthwhile!
Even my husband (who knew nothing of my purchase until it arrived!) was mightily impressed and took to it like the proverbial duck to water. He isn't looking forward to the credit card bill arriving though.
I am a very happy and lucky lady. Thank God (or Dog if you are dyslexic!) we live in an era of inventors and entrepreneurs.
Forget my aspiration to fly with the birds; Segway has to be more fun!
My thanks to everyone who has emailed words of encouragement and advice.
My biggest thanks of course to the chap who sold me his nearly new Segway at quite a reasonable price.
He modestly wants to remain annonymous but I am SO grateful to him; take a bow - YOU know who you are!
Gaye
PS My daughter likes everything to have names and so my Segway is now Harriet the Chariot!

Gliding, like cleanliness, is close to godliness!

culs
11-16-2005, 10:31 AM
Initial charge about done on my new i180, which I am eager to try out as soon as the morning fog lifts here North of Boston.

I will be using the Segway to help deal with my inability to walk very far, and already I am confident it will help with my balance due to my partially numb feet.

--

sombody
11-27-2005, 04:46 PM
Hey-
Ive had my seg wheels for 6 months now. I ride whenever I can- almost every day. Ill start joining in on some chat topics now.
What a blast

cmonkey
11-27-2005, 06:29 PM
Welcome to the club!

I love my magic carpet!

jacky
11-27-2005, 07:45 PM
Hi,

I got my p133 2 weeks ago! Unfortunately, it is still not legal to ride in public area in Melbourne... (but I tried to ride it in bike path for a few times :P Don't tell the police!)

canthackit
11-30-2005, 09:14 AM
Just wanted to say hello. I just received my new red i180 this week and have been having a blast on it. I have been following Segchat for a long time but have never posted. Rode a Segway for the first time about a year and half ago at a convention and knew I had to have one. Really pondered between the XT and the 180 and finally settled on the 180 because of more uses for me. Many thanks to Brian at Segway of Cleveland. It was great doing business with him. It's nice to find people who do what they say in this day and age.[/size=2]

bjones
12-02-2005, 05:48 PM
Picked up a red and a yellow i180 this week as a surprise Christmas present for my wife (of course I had to buy one for myself too ;) ). I can't wait to see her face on Christmas morning and get her started on it. I bought them from Segway of Tampa Bay in Clearwater Florida. Jack Boone, the owner, was very easy to work with. No pressure at all, in fact we talked about his classic car collection for the first 30 minutes. He put me on one and let the machine sell itself. What a blast!

Right now I can only see the segways as toys but once the Pinellas Trail gets built along Keystone we could actually get somewhere from the house without risking our lives. The two i180's fit perfectly in the back of my Savana conversion van so I won't hesitate to throw them in the back and go exploring with her.

The only problem is my 3 teenagers will want one too...[:O]

jake4700
12-13-2005, 09:49 PM
ME ME ME!!! Ordered my Segway i180 - red of course! - with LIon bats, side and front bags, and a light!!! It comes in on Monday!!!

Jennifer

Low Rider
12-15-2005, 08:26 AM
Okay. Got my XT a few weeks ago. Riding it every day when possible for going to work. Great Thing. Jürgen / Germany / NRW / Herdecke 11.11.2005

Bravo
12-15-2005, 11:09 PM
Hello all...

Just got a 180 with LI batteries off of eBay. Haven't wiped out yet, but I fear my day is coming!

Tanner
12-16-2005, 09:09 PM
I got my Red i180 today (12/16/05 @ 6:00PM Eastern). I'm located in Suwanee, GA. I'll be using the Segway to just get around when needed (that is after I buy myself some gloves!). I'll hopefully have a shared Segway blog with mine http://www.tssoftware.net/tanner/

Yay!

-Tanner

----------------
Tanner S.

tashstar
12-23-2005, 09:58 PM
Hey all,
Santa Claus is bringing us our i180 on the 28th of December (apparently he can't fit it in his sack on the 25th).. and boy are we excited. It's a red one (of course) and we will be sure to post a pic of the happy parents soon.

Real hot in Sydney today....38+

regards..........Bill and Tash

JPL
12-24-2005, 11:16 PM
Brought an XT from JaredHT in August. This is my second Segway-my first being an I series, which I sold about 2 years ago. We live in a small town in Ohio (Lindsey), so riding the sidewalks and streets is not a problem. Also enjoy riding around tractor shows, trails, etc. My girlfriend surprised me when we were at Jared's and purchased an I series Segway so we can Seg together.

BLB
12-24-2005, 11:40 PM
Got my "I" series in August when JPL got his "XT". Got tired of him having all the fun. Now we can Seg together. Even went into a couple of parades. Most people in this area have never heard of much less seen a Segway-so it is fun to let them see one in the "Wild". They worked out especially well at a really large antique tractor show and auction.
Brenda

motorhead
12-25-2005, 01:19 AM
Red i180 received last week !!

Poochini
12-26-2005, 05:53 AM
My husband I were gifted with two Segways. Since we live in San Francisco, the unfriendliest town in America toward Segways, we will have to gradually see how much we can Segway around. I hope to use it for short distances that don't include a lot of steep hills--to go to the market where parking is impossible, to the vet's office where parking is impossible, to a friend's home where parking is impossible, a favorite restaurant where parking is impossible, etc. I was diagnosed with epilepsy last year and had my driver's license automatically revoked. Although I have my license restored, it's nice not having to depend on others to drive me. So far, we've just been having a blast gliding along the waterfront in Sausalito.

Poochini

"One small glide for man, one big glide for mankind."

Pounce
12-26-2005, 10:06 PM
Hello all, I live in St. Petersburg, Flordia.... it is about 8pm 12/26/2005....I just received my Segway for christmas- 12/25/2005. We purchased my husband's segway about 4 months ago and now, I have mine... yellow I180 which I have enjoyed since I received this. Thanks to Jared at Segway dealership- in Ohio- for his hand in this masterminded secret. I have been up and down the trail, found spots to shops, found shops and definitely have turned some heads!!!! I have enjoyed riding with my husband- also known as blingbling and look forward to many days ahead! Still a newbie, but I am looking forward to becoming one with the Segway!
Thank you Jared
love you Blingbling!

Pounce

Pounce

manuelmenzella
12-27-2005, 01:31 PM
Proud owner of a SEGWAY XT!!! I am 14 years old and I live in Argentina. I was going to buy a Segway i180 Yellow, but when i saw the XT, I changed my mind: streets are really in bad shape here so i need BIG wheels! :)) Anyway I love my HT, it was the best gift i have ever had!!!

Manuel Menzella

manuelmenzella
12-27-2005, 01:34 PM
I am 14 and I am from argentina. I own a segway XT!!! It is great. :)) I was going to buy a SEGWAY i180 yellow, but as the streets are in really bad shape, i decided that the XT was better. Good gliding to everyone!!!

Manuel Menzella

CCoops1984
01-18-2006, 03:49 AM
place your SegwayChat name, city/state, date/time (include time zone) and print number (date/time of return confirmation email from Amazon.com) of purchase, a quick quote how you will be using/riding your Segway,

Hello from new Segway owner.
SegwayChat name: CCoops1984
Monterey, CA
Purchased a blue i80 on 29 December from Segway of Oakland (great folks!)

I am using my Segway to commute to/from work (2.5 miles one-way) and to run errands. Monterey is VERY Segway friendly.

Great to be a part of the club.
Happy gliding.

Student of Life

Georgem
01-18-2006, 10:58 PM
I purchased an XT from Segways of Amelia on Amelia Island, FL. They run a rental and safari service at an upscale resort. The young lady who handles Segway is very nice and pleasant, but I waited well over a month for my machine, and did not get a GPS bonus, as mine was not a participating dealer.

We recently took it with instead of my mobility scooter to an appointment at the hospital. We experienced no negativity anywhere, despite my XT's rather brutal appearance.

I bought the XT expressly to be able to accompany my spouse on walks along the beach and it works very well for that. The Segway has to be one of the coolest things I have ever had the privilege of operating. I shall ride mine as long as I can stand, and then I shall have to get creative. Unlike others, I have already tried gliding sitting down (works), kneeling (works), hunkering (works), and leaning way over the handlebars. I have ALS and cannot stand for more than an hour without rest.

But enough about me. What do YOU think of my Segway?

Georgem

mikey
01-19-2006, 06:57 AM
hiya,im Michael im 12 (allmost 13) and i live and New Zealand i hav a disability an i use the segway 2 go 2 school beach etc (i have an HT i180 midnight blue with a set of offroad tires and road tires) iv been useing it for about 6 or 7 months but it still feels new :D
im looking forward to getting a segseat but they havent come out yet haha damn an im putting some lights (bling bling) on my wheels...yea!!!!!!!!!! the segways been a great and fun tool for me mentaly and phisically(sorry im not to good at spelling hehe...please chat to me people! my user name is mikey! i dont bite....cya!

michaelmatthews

Atin
02-03-2006, 03:02 PM
Hi,
Im Corey from Clarksville, TN.
Got my 180HT last Friday and feel like a changed person.
I suffer from MS and have been in a wheel chair for 65% of my time...
In just the few days after I got my HT I went for a ride down the street, to the mailbox etc.. It is like being able to walk again with out falling over (unless I do something stupid)
As to myself.
Well Im a published author, or atleast that is what my publisher tells me. I write Theoligical Fiction and Horror.
My most recent book "Bloody Mary" has been optioned for a movie and word in the grape vine is they will begin filming next summer.
Im a single father, but by choice. I used a surrogate to have a wonderful baby boy (he is my natural son) and he is about to celebrate his 3rd Birthday.
Im an avid Star Wars fan and have the 3rd largest collection of SW memorbilla.
I build Star Wars armor and props and belong to a world wide organization known as the 501st Stormtrooper Legion. We all build SW stuff and participate and organize charity events for Lucas Film.
The charity work was another big factor in my purchasing an HT. We do a lot of parades during the year and until now I either had to ride in a car or just sit out the parade. Now come St Pats day I will be right along side my friends in the parade.
We are building a front for my HT that will look like a thing called a STAP from Episode 1 in Star Wars. It was the hover style standing vehicle the droids used in the battles.
Also, please excuse my spelling and grammer.. I dont have an editor on hand to make the corrections for me *LOL*
I also am an avid traveler. I have been to almost every corner of the world and since my son being born he has traveled with me and to this date has over 350,000 miles under his belt.
In my travels I have a strange hobby of studying Hiroglyphs and ancient writings. So I do a lot of travel to the Yucatan each year just to study the ancient culture..
Sorry I have rambled, but thats me, once I start talking I seem to not be able to find the shut off valve...

Atin Miller
501st Southern Outpost Star Wars Stormtrooper Legion
http://highlandcitadel.com/501stso/

ostinsfriend
02-04-2006, 02:12 PM
New Red Flare i180 owner in Mississippi. Purchased the unit from Segway of Annapolis - (You're awesome Dick!!!). I travel for a living, so I intend on taking my segway with me to some of the long term projects. Look out Denver....

S-Tip
02-15-2006, 09:21 PM
Hi! I'm a new Segway owner. I took a tour, became addicted and bought one on the internet. I'm learning to use it fast. I wish there were other riders in the area. (Clearwater Florida) S-Tip

midlandsman
02-17-2006, 04:00 AM
Hello from another new Segway owner.
SegwayChat name: Midlandsman
Worcestershire UK
I bought a used i167 from the Segway Junkyard in Nov 05 through eBay.

I ride it most days and with the local terrain a bit hilly, 8 miles is about the limit for my batteries. Immense fun and 99% positive responses.

Jennih
02-18-2006, 01:29 PM
Ok, time to add myself to the list :)

Names Jenni and I got addicted at WDW after doing the simply Segway tour.

Just picked up an i167 from another segwaychat member and am loving every minute of it.

Only problem is that my partner is addicted too so now I need to get another one!

Jennih
02-18-2006, 01:30 PM
Ok, time to add myself to the list :)

Names Jenni and I got addicted at WDW after doing the simply Segway tour.

Just picked up an i167 from another segwaychat member and am loving every minute of it.

Only problem is that my partner is addicted too so now I need to get another one!

SegwayDan
02-18-2006, 09:42 PM
Hi S-Tip,

I'm in Clearwater! I've been gliding for about three years. We live on the end of Rogers St. on the Intra-coastal, near downtown.

Call or e-mail me if you like. Pam the moderator can vouch for me.

Dan Swanson
727-403-2628
segwaydan@mac.com

quote:Originally posted by S-Tip

Hi! I'm a new Segway owner. I took a tour, became addicted and bought one on the internet. I'm learning to use it fast. I wish there were other riders in the area. (Clearwater Florida) S-Tip

Dan Swanson

joe
02-27-2006, 10:31 PM
Hi there

I'm a Segway owner since December 2005 and I'm living in Munich, Germany where Segways are still very rare (not to say non-existent). I bought my used i167 through eBay (YES! ;) from a German seller so I had no hassle with shipping etc.

Before I got this I were the highest bidder on two other auctions but they turned out as fraud. Once I was warned by Gaye of this forum but I already realized that it was a fraud auction and I wasn't in danger to lose money.

My first glide was just a month before my purchase when I did the Bangkok back roads tour at Jeff's thailandsegwaytours.com :)

Unfortunately it's lasting too cold and icy here in German Siberia to enjoy my toy so I wish for the summer. Furthermore it's still not legal to use a Segway on public ground in Germany but an amendment is on <s>it's</s> its way.

--
Joe

SegwayDan
02-28-2006, 09:43 AM
Glückwünsche on getting a Segway with such difficulty, and for your intention to help make it more legal in Germany!

One word of caution with English, though. In your last sentence, ". . .an amendment is on it's way.", "it's" is incorrectly used. There are too many English speakers who didn't pay attention in school, or at least when they're writing on the internet, and make this same mistake, too. So they set a bad example for everyone.

"It's" is NEVER properly used for a possesive pronoun. The proper word is "its." No apostrophe. "It's" with an apostrophe is always and ONLY a contraction for "It is", as in, "It's cold outside." This is the equivalent of saying, "It is cold outside."

quote:Originally posted by joe

Hi there

I'm a Segway owner since December 2005 and I'm living in Munich, Germany where Segways are still very rare (not to say non-existent). I bought my used i167 through eBay (YES! ;) from a German seller so I had no hassle with shipping etc.

Before I got this I were the highest bidder on two other actions but they turned out as fraud. Once I was warned by Gaye of this forum but I already realized that it was a fraud auction and I wasn't in danger to lose money.

My first glide was just a month before my purchase when I did the Bangkok back roads tour at Jeff's thailandsegwaytours.com :)

Unfortunately it's lasting too cold and icy here in German Siberia to enjoy my toy so I wish for the summer. Furthermore it's still not legal to use a Segway on public ground in Germany but I hope an amendment is on it's way.

--
Joe

Dan Swanson

mooten
03-04-2006, 08:37 PM
Hi: I'm a newbie to the forum, and bought a i167 about 4 months ago from the dealer here in Portland, Oregon. Love my machine! I live on a University Campus, and use the Seg for tranport around the campus, and for local trips to the store, etc. biggest problem I have is the stop every 2 blocks to demonstrate, and give rides! It's a great machine to pop in the camper and take to the beach, or campgrounds, and everybody loves it. Local police are very tolerant of riding on, or off sidewalks as long as I use common sense. I'm currently dealing with the dealer on upgrading to an I 180, with LIon batteries for more distance. Also looking for local gliders, already know 1, any others in the area?

pegg696
03-17-2006, 04:07 PM
Dave .. The Department of Veterans Affairs has just purchased be a brand new Segway GT, black, with hauler and front bag. Because of my injuries from the War in Irag (Broken Back) and a civillian work related broken neck, I am no longer able to ride a bike with my kids and dont always need my 3 wheeled scooter. This machine is going to help me get my life back and live with the kids while they ride thier bikes when the weather permits. Meanwhile, I am safely riding in my garage with my neck brace and helmet on. What a picture that is. God it feels good to move without pain and a cane.

Dave from Metro Detroit.

arthurb
03-19-2006, 09:36 PM
I should have posted here a few weeks ago.

I'm Arthur from the Daytona Beach, Fla area.

We first went gliding at Amelia Island around Thanksgiving 2005. It is such an awesome way to travel. So, I watched eBay for months, trying to find one at a price I could afford. But, almost every segway less than $2500 is a scam, I was lucky, that someone was selling who was within driving distance that I could pick them up face to face.

I wish I had a job close enough to commute via segway, I'd use it every day!

hperla
04-02-2006, 09:05 PM
I'm Henry from Orlando, Florida.

I've had my i80 since December '05. I ride it back and forth to the office almost everyday (unless it is raining). I leave my car at the office in case I have to go somewhere out of Segway range.

I'm lucky, I live in downtown, so my commute to work is only about 6 blocks, so the Segway is perfect.

I'm trying to find some other Segway riders to start a Saturday morning "Glide Club"!!!!

inewman
04-08-2006, 05:53 PM
I'm Ira Newman from Van Nuys, Ca. Just got a used I167. I've been renting until today. Really looking forward to gliding on my own machine

Ira

gneedel
04-12-2006, 03:03 PM
Hi all, I am Greg. I have been actively interested in the segway for a long time being a FIRST mentor, and now that I work for DEKA I finally got one a few months ago and have been enjoying my daily commute very much.

retsailor
04-27-2006, 07:54 PM
I'm a new member of Segway Chat from Jacksonville Beach, Florida. My Segway HT i180 Police was delivered in February. The Beach is a Segway friendly town and the weather allows lots of opportunity for gliding. I think Dean Kaman must have made buttered bread feel bad cause the Segway is clearly better!

Timezkware Tim
05-02-2006, 06:16 PM
Hi everybody, This is my first post!

I recently bought an HT i170 to commute 2¼ miles down the beach to work. It's perfect. I still love my car for certain trips, but all my commutes are now on the bikepath in just minutes, instead of sitting in bumper-to-bumper beach traffic. It's great.

Tim

hmintz
05-13-2006, 03:56 AM
Hi -

I'm Harvey Mintz, and I bought a well used (but well cared for) i167 on ebay a couple of months ago. I bought it primarily so I can zoom around at antique shows without wearing out my feet :D , but my wife got on it last weekend, and now we also have an i170 for her to glide around on :rolleyes: . We just got the i170 (slightly used) this past Sunday, and today (this being the middle of the night) we'll get them both upgraded at Jared's new place in Columbus (and stay around for the rest of the festivities).

Jared's Columbus shop is actually jsut a few blocks up the street from where we both work in Columbus. I'd be tempted to ride in on the Seg, but it's about 35 miles to my house, so I'm still stuck driving (rats!).

flyoguy
05-13-2006, 11:06 AM
Hi,

My name is Greg. I live in South Orange County, CA.

I've owned a new red I180 for about a month now. Besides for the fun of it, I commute about 15 miles each way to work. I do this once or twice a week. I'm seriously considering a Segseat.

I'm having a ball and my wife is getting more interested with each ride she takes. There may be another Seg in the family soon.....

mreisner
05-14-2006, 07:36 PM
My name is Maria and I've had my 180 for two days. I got a wonderful deal on a very gently used one from Brian at Segway of Cleveland, who dropped it off at my house in Michigan. I live too far from work to use it for commuting (32 miles), but I'm looking forward to parking the car on Friday and using the Segway all weekend!

Stusegway
05-24-2006, 11:03 AM
Hi, my name is Stuart, and I am from Birmingham Alabama. I recieved a new Segway i180 for Christmas from my Dad. It was won in a raffle, and the guy didn't want it (who wouldn't want a Segway) :confused: so he sold it to us. I use it to explore my neighborhood, and just ride for fun! I am trying to start a SEG Birmingham somtime this year as well.

orgophile
05-26-2006, 07:28 PM
I never got around to posting as a new owner so here goes: I am the very happy and satisfied owner of a "new" i170 (as of April 2005). It is by far the best "big ticket" item I have ever purchased.

Roger

mondaylover
06-06-2006, 08:18 PM
Yes Belfast's first Segway has been let lose. Our very first Segway arrived Wednesday 25th June. Since then it's been involved in minor injury involving 4 stiches - more fool me for not checking charge on the thing; been at a wedding, to BNI (Business Networking International) last Thursday and tonight was at a B4b (Business for Business) networking event were over 40 people had a go on our Segway GT. This included Lawrie Sanchez the Northern Ireland Football Coach. Following that we took it for a tour around the inside of a big shopping / cinema complex before being approached by security and asked to leave although they liked it!

Taking it Dublin tomorrow to show some clients. Tonight one guy told us he wants to buy one, one lady from Chamber Commerce saw applications for it in her town in terms of tours and another chap who is building a golf resort was very interested in the machine! Can't wait to take this back out into a crowd again - fantastic PR.

seanob
06-18-2006, 04:39 AM
Unplugged my segway after the LONG first charge wait today. Headed out to run some errands (bank, post office) then just kept going. 14 miles. I saw things I've been driving by for years that I never noticed. Looking forward to many more good times on the new magic carpet

mondaylover
06-18-2006, 02:33 PM
Hi

Absolutely addicted to our new Segway GT. Can't believe that more people haven't tried this. The reactions you get from gliding along on this thing are amazing. Perfect promotional tool for a business or just great fun and practical for getting around - love it!

We've started offering Segway trial lessons and tours in Belfast, Northern Ireland through our website http://www.ilovemondays.net. If anyone from ROI or Northern Ireland is reading this thread or is thinking of visiting Ireland and is a Segway fan please get in touch.

Our direct line is 0044 (0) 2890 693413. Please ask to speak to Dean Langasco. You can also contact by e-mail to dean@ilovemondays.net

Would love to meet fellow Segway owners or operators in Ireland. Drop me a line if you're a Segway owner living or visiting anywhere in Ireland.

I also recommend visiting http://www.barcelonaglides.com to go on a Barcelona Segway Tour with Edgar. Brilliant company in beautiful city. Was on tour last week there and best money I've ever spent on a tour I think. Great way to see the city and Edgar knows his stuff about Barcelona. Book a tour now!

See you soon hopefully

Dean

hailseeszer
06-21-2006, 10:58 PM
Hailseeszer / Tacoma, WA [i] 06/26/2006
[/quote] I have limited mobility due to RSD brought on by extensive nerve damage sustained from being savagely attacked by two Rhottweilers in 1999. I used to run up to 12 miles a day, but now I have trouble standing or walking any sort of distances. I'm hoping the Segway helps give me back some of my past mobility.

JDavis
06-22-2006, 12:43 AM
:D

Here's a new glider from sunny California's Inland Empire. Lake Elsinore to be exact. I've purchased an i170 and enjoying it everyday. Soon I'll post here some pictures of my unique usage of Segway.

So, hello everyone!

Jim Davis

srjones12
06-23-2006, 10:38 AM
I've had my i180 for almost a year now here in Chicago and try to get out as much as the weather permits here. I started taking pictures during my travels and set up a journal of sorts on this TechLore site.

You can find and comment on my thread at:

http://www.techlore.com/forum/thread/11726/

(I bought mine at a Segway shop in nearby La Grange, not sure what the Amazon reference is, sorry)

-srjones12

Tennsegway
07-03-2006, 10:47 PM
I picked my i-180 Segway a little over a week ago from my dealer. I got the Commuter package, plus a 25.0 bag. Love it so far. My longest glide so far has been 10 miles round trip. Plan on riding it tomorrow in the 4th of July parade. Hope to get another one soon for my wife.

Does anyone else in the Tri-Cities own a Segway. Would love to find other owners nearby.

Eric VonSlider
07-11-2006, 01:56 PM
Eric VonSlider / Westminster, CA

I bought my i180 about a week ago and didn't get off of it except to sleep for the first couple days. I walk pretty slow with a permanent bad ankle, but I can go just about anywhere to see and do things and cover so much distance in so little time. It's now a great pleasure glide out and about. Being a Realtor I can also now cover my entire farming area and do my marketing (about 350 homes) in just about 3 hours. People stop me everywhere I go to ask about it. I tell them I think it's alien technology. Segway should be paying us for the marketing ...or maybe 10% towards the purchase of our next one with each referral (what a dreamer). Well worth the purchase though! Looking forward to a glide with SEGOC when it comes up too.

A day without my Segway is like a day without sunshine.

Madsegs
07-28-2006, 07:43 AM
My opinion is that it is easier to get europeans out of there cars and onto segways than in the USA. So why is segway not making it easier to market in the EU? I have been told by an importer in Europe that Segway inc only gives them 90 days warranty outside of the USA, but as is standard in the EU they are forced to offer 2 years warranty on any product sold. The dealers and importers pick up the warranty after the 90 days! This attributes to the 7625$ price tag on average across Europe for an i series. I also think that the EU should have a warranty policy as with all other vehicles. The warranty here is localised to the city that you purchased it in meaning that if you move its better to sell your segway and purchase another when you arrive!!! Come on Segway inc., Sort out your stratergy for Segways in Europe and i believe that you will treble your sales.
Note: The spanish importer was branded international dealer of the year recently in Boston (im sure due to sales and not customer support) due largely to the fact that Spain now boasts by far the most segway tours/glides of any country in Europe (23 operational and another 12 starting-up). You would think that the importer would be proud of this and update his website to show how popular segways are becoming here, but no he only boasts 16 http://www.segwayspain.com/segwaytour.html

Come on Segway spain reply to your emails, improve your customers support (stop placing the blame on Segway inc.) and lets promote segways as best possible. As tours are the most visable give them a link and stay updated.....

BrianG
07-28-2006, 07:53 PM
Picked up my red 180 about 2 weeks ago. It's my alternate commuter (My old Cannondale is the other car). 10 miles a day, Great gas milage, so far so good. Lessons I have learned. 1. Lots of people think it's very cool until they hear the price. 2. It will crash when the wheels come to an abrupt stop!. 3. Train tracks are verrrry tricky. 4. Watch out for little kids. 5. That 12.0 handlebar bag is a big sail out front, not a good option for cruising. 6. And my wife thinks I'm an Idiot for buying it!
It's a very cool machine. I'm going to put a lot of miles on this thing.

cruiter
09-03-2006, 09:03 AM
I've committed, just waiting 'till the 18th or (sooner would be great) to get a call from Segway of Alpharetta (Scott Holloway) that my new child has arrived. Since the begginning i've read the articles with interest but when they were on Fox news on a recent Saturday morning, I decided it was time to test "Glide". A call to Scott and a half hour later, I was learning how to back up on one. I've not ridden an earlier generation and don't think I care to before I pick this one up. It felt great, and if someone had to camera to shoot my expressions, it would have been interesting I'm sure. I have been paying attention to the sight that offers different color options for the new i2. I won't leap on that, but might plan something out. As a retired USN vet, I may try to come up with some sort of Naval Vet scheme. Any ideas ???
Looking forward with much anticipation for that feeling a guy has in his neighborhood when he has a new toy that he knows others are lusting after. Who knows, where we live, there just might be one or two others with enough discretionary funds to not want to be behind the "Jones" :)
Jim in Cumming, GA

pelley
09-06-2006, 10:23 PM
Like many here, my wife and I followed the story since the early "Ginger" days. The first time we saw a Segway in person was at EPCOT Center in Disney World. Years passed and I never got the chance to actually step on one.

I always knew that if I tried one, I would want to own one. Well, we finally got around to it recently by taking a Segway tour in downtown Sarasota (Ever-Glides). The experience left such an impression that today we became the proud owners of two Segways: a midnight blue i180 and a white i2.

I spent the better part of the evening cruising around the neighborhood in the i2. Eventually I ventured about a mile to the local grocery store, even riding around the produce aisle briefly before returning home. I got a lot of startled looks from people in cars. One even changed direction to get a better look. A kid on a sidewalk bench talking on a cell phone looked up and remarked "Holy schnikees!" (which I'm not really sure how to spell).

Tomorrow, weather permitting, I might actually try the 12 mile commute to my office-- just to try out the concept. It will take over an hour but I'm sure it would be fun.

Chris

SidewalkSkimmer
09-08-2006, 01:43 AM
SidewalkSkimmer / Beaverton & Hillsboro, Oregon / 02-Sep-2006

Will be using it for commuting to work (approx. 3 miles), to church, and other errands in the area. Essentially replacing the family's second car.

Signed up at the beginning of August to purchase an i180. Halfway through the month saw the i2 was announced & the price was the same. Called up our dealer in Portland here and they made the switcheroo--no problemo. Picked it up at the preappointed time on 02-Sep and have absolutely loved it! Only test-rode an i180 once before, so no real unlearning involved!

cruiter
09-08-2006, 06:49 AM
Wow, you have your i2!!! "Holy schnikees", how long had you been waiting? Did your dealer just get his shipment? As you can read in these posts, quite a few of us are waiting with eager anticipation. Enjoy and keep posting to us. I'm envious :(

pelley
09-08-2006, 11:53 AM
Wow, you have your i2!!! "Holy schnikees", how long had you been waiting? Did your dealer just get his shipment? As you can read in these posts, quite a few of us are waiting with eager anticipation. Enjoy and keep posting to us. I'm envious :(

I guess I'm lucky because he actually had a couple in stock. The other one sold the same day we bought ours. I know it must frustrate folks who have been waiting weeks for theirs!

Anyway it's great. I actually did the 12-mile commute into work and enjoyed it tremendously. At lunchtime I drove it to McDonald's and went through the drive-through line! Crazy I know, but I had just had to do it once. The looks on their faces were priceless.

One thing has struck me-- how many people remark that you are "lazy" or "cheating" by riding a Segway. Yet most of these people drove their car to work. Anyone here experience the same thing?

Chris

SEGsby
09-08-2006, 08:11 PM
I got a lot of that from people who rented bikes and rode them along the boardwalk by the beach. Never really sure what to say, since I don't think of any scooter as an excuse to be lazy... *shrugs*

Just didn't respond to those kind of people while gliding on the rental...

SEGsby

I guess I'm lucky because he actually had a couple in stock. The other one sold the same day we bought ours. I know it must frustrate folks who have been waiting weeks for theirs!

Anyway it's great. I actually did the 12-mile commute into work and enjoyed it tremendously. At lunchtime I drove it to McDonald's and went through the drive-through line! Crazy I know, but I had just had to do it once. The looks on their faces were priceless.

One thing has struck me-- how many people remark that you are "lazy" or "cheating" by riding a Segway. Yet most of these people drove their car to work. Anyone here experience the same thing?

Chris

n1iic
09-09-2006, 02:48 PM
I purchased a used i167 one week ago and I am loving it.
I broke my leg really bad in May of 2004 and did nerve damage, and now I have bone spurs in my heel making it a bear to walk on. I went back on crutches, and finally admitted to myself that I have a permanent injury. My wife agreed that the Segway would make a big difference in life, so that was easy. :)
Wow, has it been a big uplift in my life, and my marriage. We went to the local fair last weekend, and got to walk around an enjoy the beautiful day.

Jason

jehemer
09-18-2006, 06:17 PM
I've had my Segway for a week and love it. Lets me get out to my childrens events which my MS prevented me from attending. Cross country meets and soccer games. :)

terhorstj
09-23-2006, 12:58 AM
HT i180, Midnight Blue, Li-ion batteries. Purchased from Segway Orange County in Southern California, now in New Haven, CT.

Using my Segway as my primary mode of transportation (left the car in SoCal until I finish graduate school at Yale).

People here can't believe their eyes!

IPC_ALiNN
09-28-2006, 10:46 PM
I've been riding Segways since July 2005. I get paid riding Segways. I am a Segway Operations Instructor in the Security business.

Alot of information found here. Just finally decided to register.

Thanks in advance.

IPC_ALiNN

IPC_ALiNN
09-29-2006, 12:56 AM
New member...Long time Glider...

I am a Segway Operations Instructor in the Security Profession...

A very useful tool! I have been a long time reader of the forum, just finally decided to register.

polo_pro
09-29-2006, 10:08 AM
New member...Long time Glider...

I am a Segway Operations Instructor in the Security Profession...

A very useful tool! I have been a long time reader of the forum, just finally decided to register.
I noticed you're in the LA area and might be able to join us for polo this weekend. Check out http://forums.segwaychat.com/showthread.php?t=13503 and why not come out to watch (and maybe even play). You'll see alot of new ways that segways can be used!

SEGsby
09-30-2006, 03:03 PM
Tresa called at 11:30 today. Said there was a white machine in boxes, waiting for me...

Getting lunch first, friend is coming down with their Jeep Liberty, gonna put it together after pickup.

I'll let everyone know how it goes...

SEGsby

polo_pro
09-30-2006, 06:44 PM
Even if you don't end up playing polo on your i2 (since you are learning to ride it), I strongly suggest coming by. One of the other polo players has an i2 and can give you some assistance!

Times, location and directions are towards the end of http://forums.segwaychat.com/showthread.php?t=13503

ps - We do alot of other things besides polo. I intend to come early. The "stupid segway tricks" alone make it worth the trip! Also alot of the people bring "show and tell" items that are really intriguing. It's like a mini-segfest!!!

SEGsby
09-30-2006, 11:03 PM
I have a ton of changes to make on this character model, so tomorrow isn't possible for me to participate; but next weekend should be open!

I got to see a lot of the local Seggerz today while I was on the phone with the Credit Card people. Grrr. Calling ahead and telling them I was going to spend such and such at noon, still didn't make the transaction any more pleasant.

Anyways, people were pointing at a white model against the wall and I heard the name "SEGsby" mentioned... I didn't say anything since I wasn't in the best mood after playing 20 questions with the bank.

I got the model that was in the window all put together, so I got to ride her for about 12 miles. Can't wait for the commuter pads.

SEGsby

SeginPVAZ
10-02-2006, 05:07 PM
Hi, this is SeginPVAZ here, and I just registered with Segwaychat.com a few minutes ago. I live in Prescott Valley, Arizona. It's October 2nd, about 2pm (we go with Mountain Standard time here). I bought my yellow i-180 from Segway of Phoenix so I didn't get it from Amazon.com. I go riding almost all the time, mainly for fun. So far the best places around here are the bike paths and public parks. At first I was Segging around the neighborhood streets mostly; that's fun too.

The model I bought was the i-180 but soon thereafter I realized that I wished I had bought the XT. The dealership told me they could fit my i-180 with a conversion package to make it into an XT, so that's what we did. Now, instead of a yellow i-180, I ride a black/silver XT!

Going to the dealership next week for the software upgrade. I hate going to Phoenix, but I understand the upgrade is pretty important.

Thanks for reading,
...Doug

drmarty
10-05-2006, 04:15 AM
Hi

DrMarty here. I live in Anaheim. I bought a shiny used red i180. Bought it in Sept. Now I'm ready to sell it and get a Jet Black i2!!!

Hmmm... I use it --- for anything I can. Just fun for now. Cruising the ville. Going to Downtown Disney (shhh don't tell) and the Block and well where ever.

See you all at SegFest.

Marty

Dealers - be sure and bring me an i2. I got the itch.

cruiter
10-18-2006, 08:04 AM
The long wait was worth while ( yet un-named), arrived at Segway of Alpharetta yesterday. I wanted to assemble it with Scott so I'd be familiar with all of it's parts and brought it home. As the weather was really bad yesterday and last night, the youngster got a full 12+ hour charge while I watched the video, blinking battery lights and read the books. I registered it on-line a few minutes ago.

Folks that know me asked Why? Why so much money? What do you need it for? My answers varied; I wanted it, I need it for R & R, it didn't cost the tens of thousands a ski boat does and 0 maintenance and I don't need anyone to pull me :), and my koolest answer, I wanted something you didn't have :D . Obviously, mine is being used for recreational purposes.

I live in a large swim/tennis sub-division and I bought a Darth Vader costume the other day to chase the kids around on Halloween night, should be a blast. I'm 62 and haven't grown up yet. God willing, I may not for a few more years.

I love this forum, lot's of good info and lot's of great folk.

Jim

drmarty
10-19-2006, 04:06 PM
Ok. I signed up as a new owner on 10/05. Boy was I happy with my shiny red i180.

Guess what? I am a new owner again! I bought a Black i2 on Friday night at SegFest. I said I was going to do it.

Wow. Life starts anew. It is the best. We went like 15 miles on Sunday. My infokey says I have now logged 53 miles.

PS there is a shiny red i180 now for sale.

Marty

Segfest was great. Thanks Fred et al.

I2Larry
10-29-2006, 12:06 PM
We (actually my wife) became the new owner of a black I2 last weekend. She will use it to commute daily to and from the school she works at. There doesn't seem to be any animosity toward Segways at the school or in the neighborhood. She spoke to the Principal before buying it and was told that she had full rein to use it and that she was expected to bring it indoors when not using it. She is a volunteer that runs errands for the teachers on a large elementary campus, so this should be interesting.

We'll keep you posted. :D

Larry

rbryson
11-09-2006, 09:47 AM
I am a Theatre Arts Professor. We are using the University's old Segway in a current theatrical production and my wife JUST^ surprised ME with my very own i2 (black!)

Papajack
11-09-2006, 11:06 AM
Just trying to check in as a new owner. My XT was delivered 2 days ago and it has rained ever since. I've been trying to ride it in my small garage without hitting my 2006 FJR1300 Yamaha, so far so good.
I bot the ST from Sam's Club to use in playing Disc Golf which I do a lot, but my 85 year old legs are getting tired. I'm sure the XT's agressive tires will be right for grass and hills but maybe a bit much for other places.
Does anyone know if wheelsl/tires from say a 180 could be put onto the XT, and whether there would be computer software problems because of different tire sizes etc?
I live in central PA and today am looking at 64 degrees and a perfect fall day.:)

semolina
11-09-2006, 01:19 PM
Jamie, Philadelphia, PA
red i180, to commute to work, run errands, and have fun
www.livejournal.com/users/semolina

cruiter
11-09-2006, 09:21 PM
Wow, three in one day :)

Congratulations to all of you. The most important thing to learn is the smile, the one that says you know of the magic you posess :)

Ride carefully and enjoy.

tarmack
11-28-2006, 02:14 PM
New owner checking in....delivery was 2 hrs ago by motor freight as I purchased from Sam's Club about 10 days ago.

Indicates 14.2 software on the box...and actually my batt's are blinking right now as the full charge cycle seems to be over...into the batt balance portion.

Retired 747 pilot for an International Airline...plan to use the XT for getting around campgrounds at Sun N Fun and the Oshkosh airshows next year.

Mel Ott

tarmack
11-29-2006, 03:49 PM
Got to be too late yesterday to take the first ride.....so I left the XT plugged in over night.....came out to the garage this morning to find one GREEN light and one RED light on the charge port.

Dug the manual out....followed the instructions to reseat the power cables in the column.....no help......then removed and reinstalled the batteries....again to change in condition....all red on the indicator with the little "wrench" showing.

Off to the phone to call Tech Support.....resulting in a battery exchange....hoping for an arrival of a new rear battery next week.

Guess now I can read all the manual and watch the video tape several times....by the way....WHAT is with a VCR tape these days....I had to go and borrow a neighbors VCR....as all we have is DVD players these days.

Mel Ott

New owner checking in....delivery was 2 hrs ago by motor freight as I purchased from Sam's Club about 10 days ago.

Indicates 14.2 software on the box...and actually my batt's are blinking right now as the full charge cycle seems to be over...into the batt balance portion.

Retired 747 pilot for an International Airline...plan to use the XT for getting around campgrounds at Sun N Fun and the Oshkosh airshows next year.

Mel Ott

CT Arrow
12-04-2006, 08:21 AM
Hello everyone! Another new kid on the Block!:)

I am Andy from the Connecticut Shoreline. Just picked up my i2 on Saturday (12-2-06) and having a blast! WX has been unusually warm in the North East so I am taking advantage of riding. I adapted quickly to the i2 and love the blank stares from people trying to figure what this thing is?

Does anybody know when the accessories will be available? Kickstand, front bag, upgraded mats,,,,?

Has anyone "pimped" out there i2? Would love to see pics if you have them..

Looking forward to meeting everyone :)

pam
12-04-2006, 08:12 PM
I've just moved the 5 responses to Andy into their own thread. Let's keep this thread just for intros for new members. :)
Pam

Majestic
12-18-2006, 11:42 AM
Hi everyone! Just received my Midnight Blue i180 yesterday and after a few hours of getting aquainted with it, I was the nutso riding up and down my block on a segway at 12:30am. :) You couldn't wipe the grin off of my face!

I'm very pleased so far. It's gonna be the black key for me at least for a little while.

I'm located in the Central New Jersey area and I look forward to meeting some local gliders.

Fred

pam
01-18-2007, 02:32 PM
Please let's leave this thread just for intros. I will start a holding thread for replys and they will be moved there. If you're looking for your comment, it will be at http://forums.segwaychat.com/showthread.php?t=14469

Thanks!
Pam

Jujubee
01-20-2007, 12:12 AM
Hello all. We have had two X2's for about a month......Best Invention EVER!! Technically, neither one belongs to me (one is my bro's and the other my grandpa's), but I ride them. Gramps is 82 and has already racked up over 100 miles.

I have been dealing with medical challenges and the Segway has given me a renewed sense of freedom. It is really great. I can't run or bike right now, but I can glide around. I tell everyone that it is like the feeling I had after receiving my first Big Wheel! Wheeeeeee.......

Derril
01-20-2007, 07:18 PM
I am 71 years old with slightly bad knees. I hope to extend my walking rage with my Segway. Also I tour in a Motorhome a lot with my also retired brother. He plays golf and maybe interested in an X2 with golf package.

Phoenix Mike
01-29-2007, 11:27 AM
Got my I2 about a week and a half ago. I'm enjoying gliding, but will have to buy more sunscreen, as the Seg gets me out of the apartment into the Phoenix AZ sun much more than usual.

Mike

DaveA
02-06-2007, 11:07 PM
Been following SC for a few months now, soaking up the combined knowledge of the local brain trust. (Well, tried to at any rate. Some of y'all are way too deep for me. Mr. Laurenzano comes to mind.)

I contemplated the decision to buy for a long time, and just couldn't justify it based on displaced automobile travel. But we took a tour one weekend - me and the missus, one of my daughters and my Mom - and everyone finished up with smiles on their faces.

There's my justification, right in front of me.

Jared was kind enough to fix us up, and this morning two new i2s were delivered to my door. I wasn't a lot of use at the office today, and I took a rather extended lunch hour to assemble the first of our new steeds.

Central Florida should be good for lots of glide time, so long as it doesn't rain - which is a crapshoot in summertime. My office is a mile-and-a-half from my front door, so that's an opportunity to commute to work - but you never know what it's going to be like four hours from now.

Drove for a couple of miles through my subdivision this evening, then up the highway toward the local mall. Got lots of attention from people in their yards, from some kids playing on the sidewalk ("Cool scooter!"), a honk from a passing motorist, and an amused smile from another when I hotdogged it up a cutout and almost lost it. Okay, rule number one: you aren't as good as you think you are. Press your luck and you'll be a featured video on YouTube.

Got an insurance quote from my State Farm agent yesterday. (Yeah, State Farm does Segway insurance now.) I'm shopping around for a decent surge protector; lots of lightning in Florida, y'know. Got to get a tire pump, and I've got to find some stylin' helmets, if there are such things. Hey, this stuff adds up.

RAY-NER
02-17-2007, 03:18 PM
I've had my i2 since December 11, 2006 and it is more than I ever expected. It's so easy to maneuver as well as store inside my apartment. Fortunately I live on the first floor adjacent to the entrance so I don't have to go far to get started on the glide. RAY-NER

MtAdamsPT
02-20-2007, 05:08 PM
Answering the roll call here . . . happy to say I've bought a used 170 as a daily commuter in Cincinnati. Can't wait 'til it gets here!!

shep
02-26-2007, 08:58 PM
Count me in too. I just received my used i180.

irie
02-28-2007, 10:07 PM
Bought (2) i2's 3 weeks ago. Already put 80 miles on mine. Gliding in Orlando, Fl and loving it.

Mike

4rmgt
03-07-2007, 11:45 PM
Just got my brand new Black i2 and am loving it. If it wasn't so cold here in Chicago, I would probably have racked up a million miles already. When the weather improves, watch out Wrigleyville!

dynk
03-10-2007, 09:08 AM
Hi my name is dynk (paul), I come from Lowell, Massachusetts and yesterday I purchased my first Segway. I have a new i2, and am loving it very much. I rode if for a few hours yesterday. I have noticed I have many new friends now :eek:
I may have a few questions later on, like where can I get a small handicap emblem for the front of the Segway, so I can get it into the mall. I do have emphysema and it is one reason for purchasing it.
My first Segway experience was at DisneyWorld last December, I signed up for an intruction course. I was hooked.:D

martinbogo
03-10-2007, 02:12 PM
Okay, so I've had my i2 for a week now, and it's one heck of an improvement.

i180 - average range was about 12mi
the new x2? Closer to 19! woo!

forcelite
03-11-2007, 10:11 PM
Just today I got a pair of i180's, Thanks for all the help here.

PS I probably wont need my batts repacked anytime soon ( I got new lithiums ) so if someone else does give me your email and I will try to get this guy here on it.

Forcelite

owen
03-14-2007, 12:57 PM
I just got a used i180 and am enjoying gliding in Oakland, CA

nickyboy
03-16-2007, 08:50 AM
:) Finally got my first i2 (still waiting on the x2).

[:(!] I'm sure I'll enjoy it once the faulty battery has been replaced.......AAAARRRGGGHHHH

Hey Ho, life is full of charecter building episodes.

So now, instead of phoning Segway UK once a week, I'm like a kid with his nose pressed up against the toy shop window waiting for the courier with the new battery!

Nick

eJM
03-19-2007, 07:14 AM
I s'pose I shoulda spoke up sooner...

A former customer and good friend asked Segway of Oakland to donate a Segway to me for a flooring convention in Las Vegas. When I returned it several days later, the great folks at Segway of Oakland gave me a good deal on it. I am now the only resident of Plumas County, CA with a Segway and I love gliding every day.

Jim

SLong
03-19-2007, 11:29 AM
Wife and I are eagerly awaiting the arival of our custom painted i2's !!!
We look forward to riding them wherever we can and as often as possible.
Cheers and happy gliding.

metoo22
03-21-2007, 08:41 AM
Hello, I got my i2 about 3 weeks ago. Love it, Love it. I posted a message but haven't seen it in the forum yet about ETT. I would like to get some tires with more traction but I ride a lot on sidewalks. I love the bike trails and need a little more traction for them. Any advise?

JVictor
03-26-2007, 08:55 AM
I've got my "new to me" i180 about a week ago. Now that the weather is getting warmer here in NJ, I can't wait to get it out on the road more!

don-j
03-26-2007, 06:26 PM
:) Hi everybody,

my name is Jan and I am living in Hamburg, Germany. I immediately fell in love with segways when I did a segway city tour in Vienna/Austria one year ago. Since then I have been taking close look at eBay auctions (including lots of fraudulent ones) and could not resist when a used i167 was offered by a eBay-Member in France last week. I am awaiting my magic carpet tomorrow and can´t wait to do my first glide.

Happy Gliding !

Jan

X2GolfGuy
03-29-2007, 03:19 PM
I've got an X2 Golf unit that arrived in early February, although I had to wait about a week for the golf rack.

Have played about a dozen rounds on it, shown it to about 3 dozen golf courses, and have tons of demo days coming up with it.

What a wonderful machine!!

alcardiff
04-02-2007, 08:24 AM
Hi all, got a pair of i2s about a week ago and Julie and I think they're fantastic. Took a trip up the Taff Trail in South Wales to Castell Coch last week (awesome fairytale style castle outside Cardiff), 6 miles each way and lots of fun.

Cheers,

Al

Ronda
04-03-2007, 04:21 PM
Plan to use my black Segway i2 ("Pony") for R & R. Ought to be a great way to enjoy the outdoors.

gresults
04-12-2007, 09:24 PM
Picked up my i2 POLICE model from Ray of ZRiders of Texas. I'm a Reserve Police Officer.

nephros60
04-20-2007, 12:06 PM
Howdy:

I recently purchased an XT in Florida for use in our small community. I have returned to Colorado for the summer months an was surprised at the regulatory issues here regarding this device. I think I am OK for off-road use in Colorado State Parks,(requires registration), but I would be interested in any information re: regulatory status/regulatory efforts in Colorado. Also, I would welcome the opportunity to hear from other Colorado gliders on their experiences here...or...is it possible that, heaven forbid, I am the only glider in the Centennial State???

Cheers!!

joe
04-24-2007, 05:33 PM
Well, I'm not a "newbie", but since today a proud owner of a black i2! Did you count? This is my Seg no. 3! :eek: I guess my i167 and p133 are jealous about the new arrival. :o And they know... sooner or later one of them will have to look for a new home... http://forums.segwaychat.com/images/smilies/icon_smile_sad.gif

--
Johannes

Eric Payne
04-28-2007, 06:29 PM
Eric Payne and Bill Seright, Midnight Blue HTi 187, Phoenix, AZ. Damn... not going to be stuck in the house anymore!

apollo
04-29-2007, 11:06 PM
But I finally have it. Today I took delivery of my new Black i2 with commuter package. The dealer was nice enough to fully charge it up for me before he delivered it. So, after my initial orientation, I took it out and had a 3+ mile glide around the campus. Man, for years I've been reading people's impressions after their first real glide, and I had been on a Segway twice before (i167 in 2003 and i180 in 2005) but this today was really my first glide of appreciable length and well, the experience was really fantastic. No amount of reading and listening to others can prepare you for what that first glide is like.
What's even better is, every one I saw had a positive reaction. There were a lot of good comments and a few people who wanted to know about the machine. There were a few curious stares, and I would have loved to stop and talk to everyone, but I just didn't have time.
I feel that today is the start of a new era in my life. You would have to know a lot more about me to fully understand why I say that, but I really do mean it. Here's to many more happy glides in the future, cheers!

BlueNose
05-05-2007, 11:19 PM
BlueNose (registered on the site) in Napa, CA, purchased 05/04/07 in Corvalis, Oregon, a white i2 with commercial carrier package, #07214029090, will be used for fun and running errands. Happy to be part of the community and delighted to be saving gas!:)

Jersey Girl
05-07-2007, 01:24 AM
Brand new to the community, the chat, and the lifestyle, but very psyched!

I live in Washington, DC, which really must be, the "most Segway friendly city in the world". I bought my i2 about 3 months ago and have so far logged over 200 miles. I had never "glided" (can I say Segwayed?) before I bought mine, but was immediately hooked...and sold. I have had 10 knee surgeries and (k)need bilat total knee replacements. I was really feeling like I was missing out more and more of my great city, and had seen a couple of ortho guys about getting the worse knee fixed. I thought maybe I could rent a Segway post-op to get around, but figured I better try it first, and "voila", bought on the spot. My knee is the best it's been in months (OK, so I broke my elbow the 1st month goofing off). I am absolutely hooked, so much so, that I wonder if I could make a living selling these things, or maybe running tours on the beach. Whadya think?

Jersey Girl in the Capitol

jgbackes
05-24-2007, 07:19 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm a new owner of a used red i180. I live in San Jose and plan on commuting with the assist of light-rail every day. Twice now I've made the entire trip home gliding! 1 1/2 hours but very fun.

I look forward to meeting all of you.

jeff

twills
05-26-2007, 11:01 PM
bought a new i2 two weeks ago....the only one here in Deep Creek Lake, MD. Come visit!

Ted

headtow
05-28-2007, 02:36 PM
Did not realize how much of a adventure this would become. We started as renters last year at the Long Beach Grand Prix, Thank you Segway of Long Beach. After I could only think of doing more. We decided to buy two for the 2007 event in Long Beach. Now we go everywhere out all day. We get educated each time we go out.

Got them insured under my All State home owners policy. Had a flat, Long beach Segway replaced. Controller battery, Sony did not have, Segway sent new. Now my controller is not responding correctly. Sometime will not start, or shut off, will not show Miles traveled any more or speed time Etc. Have not received new controller yet? Can only hope to get very soon.

Appreciate this site has helped a lot.

Also have a page at http://tatoo888.spaces.live.com/ Just posted Venice Beach glide today.

glenn@3cats.com
05-30-2007, 12:12 AM
New X2 owner (Glenn) as of May 24th, 2oo7 from N.E Pa – The Poconos.

See some photos at http://www.3cats.com/SW01.htm

headtow
06-02-2007, 12:37 PM
Well this has been the most interesting time of my life. My wife and I are very happy to have purchased our two units. I have been reading on this site and see we all share the same issues. The site has helped to complete some things, but they all were not easy to solve.

my controller battery while showed signs of low battery. Thank you Segway for the spare. I came to the site and decided to go to Radio shack to replace the spare. Then I wrote Segway and they sent me one. Wow how cool was that.

I have been trying to Insure both units, and as many times you ask is as many answers you will get back. This site helped me be better prepared to get to the correct result. My insurance company is All State. They covered me but first they wanted $600.00 a year for the two of them. It looked like a auto policy. Deductibles and everything. All State has all my insurance, cars, home everything. Not wanting to spend that much, and working for over two months, I finally got them to put it on my home owners policy, with a small fee, less than $100.00, underwriter fee.

Everything I checked out on this site has helped me. From how to inform, with a positive attitude to some really stupid people. I am no longer surprised to find a attitude of people saying things, trying to hurt your feelings. Employees saying you can not.

We go everywhere from our home to other places we load them up and go. We are over 60 and we lift them into the back of our truck and take them everywhere. That will be the next thing to solve. We do not need to be lifting at our age.

Erik98671
06-03-2007, 02:04 PM
Washougal, WA June 3, 2007 PDT

Hello. I am Erik98671. My partner and I have had our new x2s a whole week, and have enjoyed every mile (26 and counting - not counting today).

We've explored our own neighborhood and a park in our town along the Columbia River. There are lots of bike trails and paths in this part of southwest Washington state to explore.

Stanrss
06-03-2007, 03:29 PM
I picked up my new i2, 5 days ago..I love it !! But I love my XT too..I will probably kill myself trying to ride both of them eqial time..I used to get some rest while recharging my batteries..Any way the i2 is a beauty, black,cargo carriers, bag ,lock and comfort mats....plus the updated console trim cover...Stan Ross

DCTenor1
06-06-2007, 11:41 AM
Black i2
June 5, 2007
Washington, DC

It is AWESOME!

Jendrik
06-10-2007, 06:27 PM
A brand new black I2

Germany June the 01st. 2007

quade
06-12-2007, 02:00 PM
Purchased my new i2 on Memorial Day, May 28, 2007 from Segway Orange County in Newport Beach.

Today, June 12, is my second day of commuting to work on it. I plan on using it to commute to and from work as much as possible. It's an 8 mile commute one way that is taking me almost exactly 1 hour right now from downtown Santa Ana to Irvine. I hope to cut that time down a little by optimizing the route, but the streets and freeways I have to deal with really don't provide a lot of options.

As of this writing, I have 154 miles under the wheels.

BillK
06-14-2007, 06:02 PM
Killeen, TX
My wife and I have a new black and a new white I2.
Pretty excited.
Bill and Debbie

CovRob
06-21-2007, 03:22 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for the opportunity to trawl this site and add a few posts before buying.

Took delivery this afternoon of my black i2 and, despite being prised away from it a few times, have now got my first 10 miles under my belt.

Big grin doesn't begin to explain it :D

Just a couple of notes that affect other threads:
1) 2nd InfoKey is now shipped with the device, not posted out after registration;
2) Power socket cover is now spring-loaded and the console trim has been slightly modified to stay in place better.

Llarry
06-21-2007, 08:20 PM
Hey folks,

Bought a used i167 on eBay over the Memorial Day weekend from South Bay Segway in CA. Got it June 4 and have started using it a little. Started looking for one after trying it out on a tour in San Antonio in early May at the AIA (Architects) Convention (wife is architect). It was a lot of fun, and I started thinking that I could *maybe* justify getting one for fun and short errands. Started looking on eBay and got lucky, fast...

So far I've run up to the game store on it, and also run out for takeaway dinner, which will likely be a most-weeks thing. This past Monday, I loaded it in the back of the car (compact SUV) and used it to go to lunch. I'll do that again, but maybe not until it gets cooler in the fall...

I've taught a couple of friends and my father-in-law to glide, though I don't know if any of them will ever get one.

Found this place about a week ago, and lurked a few times, and since you people seem to generally be "mostly harmless" :p I've joined up. I've already learned some useful things about "care and feeding".

SegwayJay
07-05-2007, 09:28 AM
July 5, 2007
Hamilton, Massachusetts

Hello all...

I actually bought my i2 in april, but only recently found, and joined, this great Segway group. Hamilton is a small residential town about 20 miles north of Boston. There are no other Segways in town, so mine draws A LOT of attention. Coming up to crosswalks is like parting the Red Sea. All cars and trucks stop to let me pass because they want to see the Segway in action. And, of course, it's a real conversation magnet. So much so that I have begun a promotion I call:

THE GREAT SEGWAY GIVEAWAY!

I'm a real estate broker and I am offering a free Segway to sellers who list their homes for sale with me. Hard to believe? Check it out at...

List With Jay For A Free Segway (http://www.listwithjayforafreesegway.com)

Until I give the first one away, I am having a blast promoting the giveaway and simply gliding around town.

Best regards,

Jay Burnham
Coldwell Banker
North Shore, Massachusetts
northshorerealestate.com (http://www.northshorerealestate.com)

Bravo
07-07-2007, 10:12 PM
Just got a new black i2 commuter package to replace my 180. As it happened, the 180 that I bought in December 2005 through a pawn shop on eBay was actually stolen. (I know, big shock)

Anyway, I lost my keys and when I called for new ones, it triggered the whole thing about the stolen Segway. The police came calling a week or so ago, asking for my 180, which I obviously turned over. The pawn shop was very accommodating, and provided me a full refund with no hassle at all. I used that refund plus a little to upgrade to the new i2. And this time, it's got a clear title. ;)

tlk
07-11-2007, 10:49 PM
I just picked up a black I2 from the Springfield, MA dealer. I'm using it to commute from Cambridge to Burlington. It's about ten miles each way, with only a couple of trouble spots. Unfortunately, one of the towns I go through (Woburn) has passed ordinances stopping me from riding on the sidewalk, and state law prohibits me from roadways with a speed limit over 35mph, so the trip is about a mile+ longer than it needs to be to get around one small stretch of US-3. I'd prefer to take it on the Minuteman Rail Trail through Arlington and Lexington, but I can't get anyone at the state level to make an clarification/exception to the "No motor vehicles" rule that, according to the Arlington police, the Segway would be considered to be.

Any word on what happened to SegwayBoston.org? Most of their links are broken and it looks like it's been at least two years since an update.

Later,
TLK

scottfromtampa
07-21-2007, 03:13 PM
Just picked up two i2's for my wife and I. Got from Jack at Clearwater, FL - Segway....great to finally have them!!!!!

Scottfromtampa:D

stevepierce
07-24-2007, 10:12 AM
Got my two used black I2's off Ebay. Gertrude and Eleanor. They were more used than described and they are missing the power plug covers. But the price was good so it is hard to complain to much. But hey pre-scratched, I don't have to worry as much if Gertie gallops away.

First ride was a blast. I rode for about three hours. Legs were definitely sore the next morning. My bride is currently in Iraq so I am really looking forward to her coming home so we can glide together.

Already trained two other people so I can see there being a lot more demo'ing over the coming months as lots of folks will want to try.

Cheers!

Steve

GlidingAlan
07-25-2007, 09:13 PM
Hi all,

I'm a new owner of 2 used e167's I bought for my daughter and I to tool around on. Of course my wife took a glide with me and now I wish I bought 3 :(. I'm a rider from early on, 2002, and went through the train-the-trainer training at the Segway facility, toured the factory and even rode the 1/4 pipe at their test facility. You guys probably are not going to believe this but I also drove Dean from the airport to a Hotel in Binghamton NY, had a beer with him and then the next day had the pleasure of flying in his jet plane from Binghamton to Ithaca. This was no ordinary plane flight, I sat in the co-pilot seat while Dean flew the plane. If I recall we climbed to 8,000 feet and then almost immediately descended and landed, took us 8 minutes and he said it would have been 6 if we didn't have to circle to bleed off speed. It was a great experience! Anyway I'm happy to finally personally own this great product and be part of your community.

Thanks,
GlidingAlan

Theo
07-26-2007, 07:34 AM
I just picked up a black I2 from the Springfield, MA dealer...
TLK

TLK,

Have talked to that dealer myself (I'm in Western MA). Would you mind sending me a PM with your impressions of the experience?

TIA,

Theo

PTB
07-29-2007, 04:37 AM
Hi guys (generically speaking),

My name is Peter, I live in Sydney Australia, I'm a pharmaceutical rep and a glider pilot. Oh yeah, also a polio victim, 50 metres is a long walk!

Just bought the i2 Commuter package and starting to plan exploring the old cities of Europe.
:D

aviators99
07-29-2007, 08:29 PM
New i2 owner here! I'm currently in the Bellevue, WA area, but travel back and forth between there and the Miami, Florida area. The i2 is in Washington, so this is where I'll be using it over the next year or 2 until I leave this area to return to Florida for good. I bought it yesterday (7/28), and have been gliding around non-stop for the last 24 hours. I feel pretty expert at this point, thanks especially to reading as much as I could on this forum before I made the purchase, and having ridden a couple of times on other people's before. So far everyone has been very nice to me, cyclists included. I intend to play a lot of polo, and got some practice in when I was in the bay area this past week.

Now I have to figure out how to tell my wife :-( (she's in Miami for the next 3 weeks).

Nospin
07-30-2007, 06:03 PM
I purchased an X2 last month to try out on some back country roads and trails. It is not an ATV by any means but is surprisingly capable on rough forest roads and mountain bike trails. At 74 I find it challenging but after learning to read the trail ahead, not daunting. Not having been properly indoctrinated, "gliding" just doesn't spell it out for me...maybe "scrambling" or "crawling". Low ground clearance and limited range are my only adverse feelings. I am looking forward to hunting with it later this fall. Game is surprisingly unspooked by the X2. I have had no problems with it and, IMHO, it is well designed and rugged. And a thank you to Rick Bennett at Segway of Corvallis.
C

jctx
07-31-2007, 02:14 PM
I got a new x2 a week ago. My main interest is increased mobility. I have arthiritis in my back and knees and can't walk more than short distances without a lot of pain.
My big problem right now is how to transport it. I have a Toyota Camry and don't think I can get the x2 in the trunk. My wife and I are taking a trip in early September to visit National Parks in Wyoming, Colorado and Montana. I hope I don't have to make this trip in my pickup but may have to if I can't find someway to haul it with my car.
Does anyone have any experience with the Segway Hauler? Is it a satisfactory device? What other options are available?
Oh, I live in southern Maryland on the Chesapeake Bay.

glenn@3cats.com
08-05-2007, 08:25 AM
SegChat name = glenn@3cats.com

Purchase March 24, 2oo7

X2 with turf tires (no golf racks)

Location = N.E. Pa - Poconos

Use = fun, zip back n from to my garage 3oo' away sometime 20 times a day and advertising gimic for our ice cream stand.

Also I moded a 4'X4' kit trailer in order to transport with easy load n un load the X2. Since this I have had the Seg at 2 air shows n one antique engine show so far. Seg got just as much attention as the show items did.

I am just finishing up a safety stand for my X2 since I hated leaning it down or up against something.

I recently purchased 2 sets of LED bicycle head light n tail lighst so I now enjoy a dusk glide from time to time.

Seems no other privatly owned Segs in my area so getting somewhat tired of solo glides all thie time.

Lot of my Segway fotos at:

http://www.3cats.com/SW01.htm

Aloha, Glennnnnnn

jlipsit
08-05-2007, 12:26 PM
Unit: i2 Commuter Package
Date: August 4, 2007
Reason: Just for fun

I just bought a single i2 unit to tool around (glide) the neighborhood. I would really like to take it to the local grocery store and home depot to pick up small items, rather than taking the car. Any experience with others driving into Home Depot or Grocery stores? I really would not want to have to park it out front.

I'm a huge fan of Dean Kaymen and all his work and lifestyle and am a big beliver in the Segway - so I though getting one would help promote it's use even though I can't use it to commnte to work.

It sure is crazy that with all the technology and effort that went into the product and after being introduced for several years that INC has not developed a kick-stand. :confused:

I'm also hoping the Segway Hauler for the i2 will be available soon. It appears this has been "Coming Soon" on the INC web site for over a year.

Take Care,

Jim

BillK
08-05-2007, 03:31 PM
I have never had any problems taking it into ANY store.
That said - your two specific examples would give me pause because wet concrete (Home Depot) and wet formica/tile are VERY slick and you will find both in your stores.
My opinion only,
Bill

Llarry
08-05-2007, 08:25 PM
I've been using mine for short errands around locally. I have a decent chain/lock, so I don't mind locking it up out front of stores. The local game store has an area just inside the door where they have shelves for backpacks, and I'll stand it there, but that's mainly because of how long I'm likely to hang out in the store. First time I went up there after getting it, the owner insisted I glide around inside...

siedwheeler
08-21-2007, 02:19 PM
Hi All !
Got my Husband a Segway after he could no longer keep up with me and the Dogs on our walks/hikes. My Husband has M.S.. I had seen a couple around town, and so I went on line to find the Segway and found OFF ROAD SEGWAY ! Perfect for us as we mostly like to hike off road trails and the Beach. So off to the local Segway dealer in town to try one on (what luck we have one close in Bellingham Washington) . It has been the best thing ever ! We go on Hike/Glides in the neighborhood , off road adventures and on the Beach here.Rolls right out the front door and we're off !We took it from Washington through Yellowstone, Montana and South Dakota on the Back of the Car(which draws folks to get right up on you to try and figure out what it is). And we have even herded cattle with the Seg ! YEEHAW ! And My Dog's love it too ! I can wear out my 60 lb terrier as she LOVES to have a good run beside it, we call her "Segway Sally" now lolol.
Glad To Meet You !

Dave Bittner
09-17-2007, 10:01 AM
Thanks to Will Hopper and Dick Segar from Segway of Annapolis, I'm the proud owner of a new I2! I'm looking forward to making the transition from driving to segging to and from work, and just having a blast on the thing.

This community has been a tremendous resource. Many thanks to everyone here.

Rescue3
09-17-2007, 09:21 PM
Howdy. After having the i2 fever for awhile, I finally traded the trusty old i167 in today for a brand new, shiney i2. I got to see and help the dealer take it out of the box and put it together. I felt like the daddy of a new born!!

The new lean-steer technology is fun but definitely something that I'll have to practice to get used to.

Bronson
Dover, Tennessee

MJEdelman
09-21-2007, 11:20 PM
That is NOT a typo! My local dealer (Segway of Corvallis) took the golf carrier and mounted it on an I2 for me and it works great! (played my first round of golf with it a few hours after I picked it up!)

Now I just need to come up with a name... :)

MajorGeek
10-04-2007, 10:38 AM
Baldwinsville, NY (Suburb of Syracuse) eastern time zone.

Purchased a used little used white i2 on Ebay as there are no Segway dealers close to me. Actually reported 3 fake auctions to Ebay while shopping in the past couple of weeks, which Ebay removed within 15 minutes. I was glad to see that.

I have never seen a Segway around here yet and the first ride around the neighborhood tells me no one else has, either. We have over 15 miles of walking trails in my neighborhood, I clocked 5 miles on the first tryout. I will mainly be using it to take walks with my wife. Now I can keep up with her :)

Barth
10-14-2007, 02:56 AM
Unit: i2 Commuter
Date: August, 2007
Reason: Just for fun
Dealer : JCAM Advanced Mobility

Great to have it, happy to be part of the community.

mvhendel
10-14-2007, 07:44 AM
Lincoln, NE.
Just bought one for me. My wife loves it so much she is talking about us becoming a two-Segway household! Bought it to run erands (groceries, etc) am selling the car in two weeks when the cargo kit arrives. Can't wait.

japaneezy
10-18-2007, 04:12 PM
yay i got my segway, commuted to work on it today for the first time. some of the other staff gave me weird looks and almost didnt let me on the elevator with it.

PacketBoy
10-29-2007, 08:18 PM
Just got an i2 for my wife's birthday - actually it was the 10th anniversary of her 29th birthday.

She loves it! :)

SegwayDad
11-03-2007, 04:10 AM
My daughter didn't get to take her driving test, so no car. And she can't learn to ride a bike because bikes fall over when you stop:rolleyes:. But for some reason, she loved riding a Segway on the Angel Island (San Francisco Bay) tour. So guess what mom got her for college? An i2. :D

She even started a blog about it. http://segwaythrucollege.blogspot.com/search/label/Segway%20Adventures

Now, this daughter is the best daughter ever, but she is not whatsoever mechanically inclined. So now that she's a continent away in Fort Wayne, Indiana, I'm supposed to rescue her when her tires go flat. :confused:

We tried to do her research for her -- finding out the tire characteristics, searching Yellowpages.com, etc.. Thanks to one of the forums, we've been spared the mistake of using Fix-a-Flat (R). We still haven't found a shop that can figure out how to help her with her flat tires. A lot of tire and bicycle shops don't know what a Segway is; some have been rude; and one even hung up on her! The Yamaha shop (which sells ATVs) couldn't figure out how to patch a tube and wanted to sell her a brand new pair of tires for $200 each. (The MSRP is only $134! :eek: )

The bright side is that owning a broke-down Segway has been a character-building experience for my daughter.

So... I hope I can find some help or solutions somewhere on the forums. The Segway site was certainly no help. :(

Todblue
11-27-2007, 11:15 PM
Love my i2, my first. The miles are racking up. Since the weather is finally bearable, have been hitting the streets.

I would love to cusomize it (maybe a custom paint job), so if anybody has seen some good results let me know. I really could use olaf's kickstand.
:rolleyes:

David Long
11-30-2007, 06:01 PM
Elk Grove, CA.
We own two i2 models, since April 2007.
I am a fair-weather-lover of gliding to work, perhaps 3 miles each way, while loyally listening to Thijs van Leer's Focus music.
Naturally inclined to introspection and not wanting to stand out nor be a spectacle -- oh well.

patcheung
12-04-2007, 12:10 AM
why didn't i do this sooner? oh yeah...the price tag. well, just dove in for two i2's...awesome! so where do you all hang out in socal?

quade
12-08-2007, 09:15 PM
why didn't i do this sooner? oh yeah...the price tag. well, just dove in for two i2's...awesome! so where do you all hang out in socal?

Hang out? Hmmm, hang out isn't the right phrase; it implies we do stuff on a regular basis.

We're very irregular; maybe it's the cheese.

Somebody might put up a notice that he wants to do a particular ride on a day and it just kinda goes from there. For instance, here (http://forums.segwaychat.com/showthread.php?t=17128) is one we recently did.

Just log in and keep your eyes out and hopefully you'll see one that works for ya. Although I have to say it's going to be sort of rough for the next few weeks during the holidays. Most people have stuff to do right now, but shortly afterward (or even the period between Christmas and New Year's) I'd love to do something.

And then the rains will come. :)

Oh . . . one more thing . . .

Google Earth is a great resource for trying to figure out what YOU might want to do. I'm still a relative newbie when it comes to the group rides, but already I've been able to coax a few people out to do stuff -I've- wanted to that I first found via Google Earth.

frontline
12-17-2007, 12:46 PM
Hey everyone,

My security company bought an X2 around April '07 for a outdoor shopping mall. Basically the customer said, "I like those Segways. Can you get one of those?" My thought was...a YES for a contract like that!

Our X2 is great. It is used daily for at least 6-8hrs per day. No problems at all, except for my employees dropping the key and me performing major surgery on it because the buttons stuck.

I hope to buy a 2nd soon for another site!

dionysus
12-21-2007, 01:31 AM
Hey there, new here in Portland, Oregon. Have 1 i180 and looking for a second now for my other half (rides alone aren't as fun!). Would love to be included on any possible "Glides" in the area, or even leads on finding another i180 to complete my set. Actually had bought one while on business in LA and it turned out to be stolen, turned it into police so I guess it's soon to be back with it's righful owner in the LA area. Wow, bad experience, lost money, but that's not stopping me! Loving the Segway!

Corey Payne
Portland, OR

GARY44
12-26-2007, 09:59 PM
I just bought my first Segway today. I've wanted one since it was first introduced, but never could justify buying one. My wife and I had a great Segway tour in Prague, Chech Republic a couple of months ago, and that was the last draw. I bought one today from Riva in Fort Lauderdale and can't wait to start gliding. Are there any groups of Segway owners in South Florida?

Gary

verogolfer
12-29-2007, 01:36 PM
Here's the basics.

Bought the i2 with the golf attachment in early October 2007 from Segway of Northern New England. In Oct. and Nov. played a couple of dozen rounds with it in NH and MA. Shipped it to Vero Beach late Nov. & spent 2 weeks early Dec. in Vero Beach with the Segway as my sole means of transport. "Segway man" has been everywhere, to the golf courses, the beaches, the bars, the restaurants, and the malls. About 450 miles so far.

Golf-
NH - played Waukewan Golf CLub, my home course, was welcomed by owners & players alike.
MA - have played Stow Acres, Wayland Country Club, Sandy Burr, was welcomed by management and players. Butternut Farm ran me off, citing 'insurance' issues if I hit a pothole.
Vero - haven't ridden on a Vero Beach course yet; distance is an issue. 8 miles each way to the course, plus the 18 holes, could leave me fully discharged halfway home. Sandridge would let me ride to play at regular cart rates, but don't want me to plug in while I play and draw county electricity for free. Pointe West lets me plug in & play, but must use their carts. Might be different for a Pointe West "Member".

More later -

vbg

verogolfer
12-29-2007, 03:34 PM
Hi all -

I appreciate finding your chat forums. Info so far seems very helpful. I have summarized my initial experiences & issues with the Segway below, comments & feedback advice appreciated.

- I mounted the golf kit with the bag on the left. Much easier to stop at the ball, select club, play, and move on. Don't know what Segway was thinking putting the bag on the right.

- The bag attachment has some dubious engineering that can cause falls. First time, the axial connectors weren't full tight & shook apart. Turning a corner the bag unit separated, went flying one way, me the other. Had to backtrack 200 yards to find the angled bolt part. Second time, was crossing a bridge over the inland waterway on the sidewalk - the walk has a U-shaped concrete barrier 3 feet high on each side and is about 5 feet wide. Hit a joint bump at full speed; the Segway wandered over to the side & the golf unit upper bag holder scraped the side of the barrier. Couldn't recover, nasty fall. Would be better if this plastic piece folded back when no bag was on board.

- The golf score card attachment isn't very secure, wobbles a lot. I ended up drilling it and adding a screw into the center of the accessory bar.

- Tools - Segway NNE gave me 5mm and 3mm Allen wrenches saying that's all I needed. Sorry, the golf score card/accessory bar takes a 2.5mm wrench, and the lower cargo frame bolts take a 4mm wrench.

- Bolts - I lost a lower cargo frame bolt & was able to find a suitable metric replacement at the local Lowe's. Same length and thread count, but a barrel head instead of the rounded head. 5mm wrench. I bought some spares.

- I have the same trouble others have reported checking air pressure in the tires. Really awkward. Like your idea of using extenders, will try next month. Bought a low pressure tire gauge, but it doesn't work well, so I have no idea what tire pressure I'm actually using. Unit seems to ride OK, though.

- I got a small golf 'back pack' instead of the expensive Segway handlebar bag. Has two compartments with zippers, the upper I use for gloves, tools, jacket etc. and the lower is cold insulated, about the size of a six pack. I use this for my recharge cord and locking cable. The pack has mesh pockets on the side (for my coffee). (Yes I've mastered drinking coffee while riding...) The pack velcros onto the top and around the back of the leansteer stick just fine, $25.

- I added a 4' computer extension cord to the standard recharge cord; much handier length now.

- CLearance - I don't take the golf bag unit off (see above), tho Segway + attachment is 34 inches wide, and my condo doorway is a 36 inch door with a net opening of 33 1/2 inches. Muscle job to get it in at night. Again, it would be nice if the upper golf bag holder folded back.

vbg

verogolfer
12-29-2007, 03:45 PM
Hi all again...

- I'm also a musician. Ginned up a quick and dirty wooden adapter so I could carry my amp on the Segway golf attachment. Have done two gigs by Segway, amp bungeed on to the golf kit, me with guitar/gig bag on my back, wireless mike & cords in the gig bag, music stand bungeed on the other side. Priceless ... Doing Segway demos on my breaks...

Any other Segway musicians out there?

- Sent Segway a note about my 'first', riding my Segway to a gig (twice) with the amp onboard. Got back an unfriendly canned reply about my not messing with the safety designs and engineering of their products... boy did they ever 'not get it'. I replied offering to discuss the engineering flaws in the golf kit design that cause falls with a 'real person'. Haven't heard back.

- I have a distinct 'wobble' in my right wheel. Anyone know how to fix?

vbg

DarthSegVator
12-30-2007, 10:19 AM
See the following:

http://forums.segwaychat.com/showthread.php?t=16981&highlight=wobble

There are other threads as well on this subject. Use the search function (located in the blue bar at the top of the page) and put "wobble" in the search box.

tomhound1969
01-01-2008, 09:04 PM
Hello...I first saw the Segway in Santa Monica, CA. It was being expertly ridden by a police officer and I was immediately drawn to it. Then, years later I was visiting Seattle Center in WA and a friendly guy was letting people try out his Segway. My girlfriend and I asked to try it and we both loved it.

Well, it's been a few years since riding one but I was interested in checking them out. After seeing a used one right after someone else bought it and missing out on that one, I decided to dive in with an i2.

I'd be thrilled to glide with Oregonians.

Tom

Macaholic
01-08-2008, 12:17 PM
I have to represent the East:)
This 2 wheel contraption has intrigued me from the very beginning and when a friend mention wanting one a few months ago the bug bit so I finally bought an X2. I envision using it on bike trails at a nearby state park.

Any gliders in the Raleigh area...let me know!

Mr_Laurenzano
01-09-2008, 10:53 PM
Plan on
WOW
Have a nice day

opticat
01-20-2008, 07:12 PM
Just bought a new i2! Lots of good info here!

Roy Burrows
02-05-2008, 08:49 PM
My name is Roy Burrows and I live in Las Vegas Nv. I bought a i2 on 1-27-08. I am retired and have trouble walking. I will be riding my Segway to near by shopping centers mainly to Starbucks and running errands. Las Vegas is on Pacific standard time.
I am having a proble entering the settings on my infokey controller. Are there an sources on settings other than the Reference Manual?

bentbiker
02-06-2008, 10:55 AM
My name is Roy Burrows and I live in Las Vegas Nv. I bought a i2 on 1-27-08. I am retired and have trouble walking. I will be riding my Segway to near by shopping centers mainly to Starbucks and running errands. Las Vegas is on Pacific standard time.
I am having a proble entering the settings on my infokey controller. Are there an sources on settings other than the Reference Manual?Roy,

Welcome to the site. The only settings I'm aware of are:

The ability to turn on or off the toggling of speed between turtle mode and full speed, and
The max speed in full speed mode.
Shutdown Timeout.

The first of the above settings is covered in your reference manual; the other two are in a supplemental pamphlet. I am assuming you purchased a NEW unit and therefore have the latest firmware, which is addressed in a pamphlet which should have been in your box. If not, you can find it at:
http://www.segway.com/support/manuals-guides.php

If this doesn't answer your questions, give us the specific setting you are trying to change. Also, since you already provided your location, you may want to fill in your profile to assist respondents in future posts. Also, it now shows you as purchasing your first Segway in 2001, but I'm betting that is a default that needs to be changed.

[Edit: Just realized that I responded to a post on a thread reserved for introductions. Roy, if you want additional responses, you should probably re-post this as a new thread in the same forum.]

Eric Payne
02-06-2008, 01:35 PM
I am having a proble entering the settings on my infokey controller. Are there an sources on settings other than the Reference Manual?

Roy,

I own a first generation machine that still uses the little, round metal-stud computer chip "key," so I don't know anything about the second generation infokey(s) and their programming. Sorry, I can't be of any help there.

As someone else who purchased their Segway due to personal mobility issues caused by poor health, I just wanted to welcome you to the world of SegwayChat.

Plus, welcome back to the real world that your Segway will give back to you. Yeah, right now you say you'll just use it to get to the store, and Starbuck's, and back. But, trust me, it won't be long until the store you choose to go to is a little further away... then a little further than that store... then, heck, you're gonna be cruising the strip at 2 AM, or Fremont Street, just because you can!

Again, welcome, Roy. You're in for some fun, let me tell ya!

Desert_Seg
02-06-2008, 04:31 PM
Ron,

Which settings are you trying to make?

- To take out of lock mode, press and hold the top two buttons for approximately 10 seconds or until you see a series of "t"s replace the numbers. This will now allow you to toggle in and out of the speed modes.

- To set the time make sure you have the time on the screen and press and hold the top right button for three seconds (or until you see a flashing 12). You can then adjust the time (12/24 hour format, hours, minutes) by pressing the bottom right button (alarm button) until you get to the desired number. To toggle between the series press the upper right button.

- To set the date and different speed settings ensure the display is in the date setting and then press and hold the top right button for three seconds or until the display shows "M/PH or K/PH" (or something similar). You can then change all the settings / toggle through the settings by following the previously mentioned key press.

Anything else, just let me know.

Steven

i2Glide
02-08-2008, 11:21 AM
Well, not really Dallas. I travel a lot for work so it is Dallas today, Omaha next week, back to Dallas and then who knows.

I spend most of my time on the road but when I'm home it is either Dallas or South Carolina.

I just got my Segway and it will go on all my trips since I drive to the new sites.

How can I find out if there are any Segway owners where I visit?

quade
02-08-2008, 03:41 PM
How can I find out if there are any Segway owners where I visit?

Well, this site is a decent place to start.

You should make a couple of posts in the general forum and let it be known that you're interested in finding some folks to ride within the Dallas and South Carolina areas. I'm nearly certain you'll get a couple of bites.

This web site just put in a map function (http://forums.segwaychat.com/vbmembermap.php) for users so that may help as well.

i2Glide
02-08-2008, 06:42 PM
Thank you quade. I will post in the general forum too.

rstaton
02-08-2008, 08:37 PM
Waiting for Segway i2 to arrive in 6 days. I plan to use it for the short commute to work and lunch, avoiding traffic and saving my car from all those short trips.

rstaton
02-08-2008, 08:40 PM
I knew I was forgetting something...

rstaton
Watsonville, CA

DarthSegVator
02-10-2008, 04:48 AM
I knew I was forgetting something...

rstaton
Watsonville, CA

Welcome!

You may want to update your User Profile in the User CP section with your city, state so others will know where you're from when you post.

meamdahl
02-15-2008, 08:33 PM
Hello all!
I just wanted to thank you folks for this website. I was able to locate an I2 on here from Segway of Corvallis Oregon. Rick Bennett is a terrific guy! He sold it to me for a very reasonable price, and sent extras along with it. It is just like new, and I've already put 2 miles on it driving around inside my town house! (grin) I'm in Iowa, and it's currently 1 degree below zero, with storms forecast for this weekend.
Thanks again to all who make this site possible. You saved me from an EBay scam and I've already learned so much about Segways that I couldn't find anywhere else!

Freezing in Iowa,
Maynard

Cube128
02-15-2008, 10:07 PM
Where in Iowa are you from? I spend time in Iowa City and Des Moines, maybe we could go for a glide when it gets warmer :)

meamdahl
02-16-2008, 10:48 AM
I'm located in Ankeny. When nice weather returns, send me a note and I'll show you some great riding around Saylorville Lake & the Des Moines river.

JohnG
03-31-2008, 03:01 PM
Hey folks, we're going to close this thread now and ask that you post your new member introductions to the main forum, so the community can get a chance to meet you!

Thank you!

John