PDA

View Full Version : What to buy the tech savvy?

Casey
12-04-2002, 05:10 PM
December 4, 2002 - MSNBC - What do you get the person who has any and every gadget in the world? The quick answer is you go full-tilt and get them something they could only dream about. I’D HAVE TO SAY that after an exhaustive search, the number one tech-savvy gift of this year is the soon-to-be-released Segway Human Transporter. Full Article (http://msnbc.com/news/842648.asp)

Casey
12-04-2002, 05:15 PM
quote:What to buy the tech savvy?

Breaking the bank is not necessary for selecting the perfect holiday gift
By Gary Krakow
MSNBC

Dec. 4 — What do you get the person who has any and every gadget in the world? The quick answer is you go full-tilt and get them something they could only dream about.

I’D HAVE TO SAY that after an exhaustive search, the number one tech-savvy gift of this year is the soon-to-be-released Segway Human Transporter. Whether you’re a technophile or technophobe, Segway is just plain cool! In case you missed any of the hype over the past few months, the Segway is the creation of inventor extraordinaire Dean Kamen — whose new creation is backed by some of the most famous dot-com entrepreneurs of the day.

What you need to know is that the Segway is a 21st century, two-wheeled, electric scooter. You stand on the little platform and just lean a little. The Segway’s gyroscopes and electronics do the rest to keep your balance and propel you forward, backward or to the side at a maximum speed of 12.5 miles an hour. Steering is done with light touches to the handlebars. The Segway stops when you stand straight up.

Segway can supposedly support a 250-pound person and up to 75-pounds of gear. A number of locales have passed laws to allow Segway to operate on sidewalks (unlike bicycles, skateboards and the like) - but there are still some places where you’ll have to ride it in the street.

So, how can you get one? Segways are currently and exclusively available on Amazon.com. The price: a somewhat steep $4,950.00 plus tax and shipping. But, I did say it was for the tech-savvy person who has nearly everything. Amazon is asking for a non-refundable deposit of $495 in advance of when the Segway begins shipping on March 1, 2003 on a first-come, first-served basis. By the way, Amazon is limiting sales to only two Segways per customer.