PDA

View Full Version : i2 Wide open throttle problem

PDX1953
09-03-2018, 09:35 PM
I have a Sui Generis wheelchair seat on my i2SE and it fell about 3 feet yesterday & sort of bounced off one of the wheels. I wasn't in it but don't ask how it fell- it's my fault for being incredibly stupid. The seat wasn't mounted so I put everything together & turned it on - everything acted & sounded normal but as soon as I lifted the right side of the landing gear (rubber feet on the right side, small wheels on the left) it went full blast. I managed to get my left heel jammed in front of the left tire & dropped the gear so it stopped moving.

I tried it again today but put the folding footplate against the tire of my truck before lifting the right side gear & again, full throttle. It's obviously damaged but does anyone have an idea of what would make it do that? It acts like I'm leaning way over the front & even leaning way back only made it a little less problematic.

Figures - I was supposed to leave on a 9 month RV trip this afternoon.

CROSSBOLT
11-21-2018, 10:26 AM
9-03-18 and no one answered yet? This is because no one knows the answer! I hope you found a solution. I am finding I don't like Segway attitude of hoarding information and "dealer" will only help if it involves you buying something.

Civicsman
11-21-2018, 03:28 PM
Well, it may be that the Balance Sensor Assembly was damaged by the impact of the seat, but that's just a SWAG. I've never heard of this kind of runaway.

Under the circumstances, a trip to a Segway dealer is indicated.

PDX1953
11-22-2018, 12:14 AM
Since my OP I spoke to the Segway dealer here in Oregon a few times & then took it to his place about 5 hrs away. Much to my amazement everything worked fine - for about 3 minutes. It went wide open again, threw me off & bent the crap out of various parts of the wheelchair base. He believes it's the Balance Sensor & swapped my base (approx 400 miles) for a used one he had (approx 2500 miles). He knew a professional metalworker who fixed the metal parts and everything cost me $2730.00.

I ended up taking a 6200 mile / 14 state trip beginning on 9/4/18 & put the trailer in storage in Mesa on 10/3/18. I was hoping to get 11 mpg but averaged 9.1 mpg overall & the last 1300 miles averaged 14.5 mpg b/c I wasn't towing. During the whole trip I never took the chair out of the truck (!!!) but I left home this morning & will p/u my trailer on Friday. The 6200 miles burned 700 gallons of gas for a cost of nearly $2100 so I seriously considered putting the trailer on consignment at the RV facility. I'm glad I didn't b/c they would have had a 90 day hold on it which means I wouldn't have been able to pick it up until early January.

After the initial shock of the mileage/costs sunk in I had plenty of time to think about how I really wanted to use the trailer & where I want to go. If everything works as planned I'll spend most of the time in AZ free camping on BLM / Forest Service land with the occasional stay at an RV park. I won't drive anywhere near the miles I did on the first trip and have found quite a few places with the help of some full-time RV friends & lot's of YouTube videos. Although the trailer is only 12' x 6' it's fully self contained with 50 gallon grey, black & supposedly 50 gallons of fresh water although I've only been able to get 35 gallons into it. It has a separate tub & toilet, A/C, a microwave, a very large fridge with separate freezer & lot's of other customization. I have an electric start, dual-fuel 3100 watt Champion generator in the back of my truck along with a dedicated 30# propane bottle so I'll never have to go to an RV park unless I want to. I'm planning on spending the winter in the SW & then take the trailer home in mid-late April. At that point I may advertise it as a 'tiny house' because a lot of hipsters in the Portland area are looking for them. Per Portland code if it isn't on a foundation it can be stuffed in a backyard & lived in as an ADU - "Auxiliary Dwelling Unit."

So - all's well so far & I'm keeping my fingers crossed.