PDA

View Full Version : The Surprising Successor To The Segway

GregRice
06-17-2014, 11:43 AM
I just read this in Forbes on-line. Interesting.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/zackschildhorn/2014/06/16/the-surprising-successor-to-the-segway-that-could-revolutionize-urban-transportation/

Amimoto
06-17-2014, 12:03 PM
Love this part by Dean Kamen from the article.

"I don’t think people have yet come to grips with the fact that in most of the large cities of the world, almost everybody spends most of their time going just a few blocks, or at most a mile, between where they live and where they work. Yet, in almost every major city… all of what should be beautiful pedestrian space… is either a parked car, a parking garage, or a row of running cars, bumper to bumper, with people sucking up each other’s exhaust, creeping along in 3,000 pound, 20 foot vehicles with on average one person inside. It’s environmentally catastrophic, it’s inefficient, it’s unhealthy, and it defiles the original intent of cities. In a world now screaming towards urbanization… the idea that we still get around with a machine that was invented 100 years ago to get between towns and cities and to railroad stations seems absurd.

But what if you could say to people – “Hey, this environment in the city, it was built for pedestrians!” That’s why these buildings are close together, that’s why you look outside and see thousands of people. What if we could tell you that you could get from point A to point B in the city at the same average speed as your car, but with the same mobility as a pedestrian, in a manner 100 times more environmentally friendly, and close to 100 times as energy efficient? We thought that might make a big difference in helping cities become more fun, more environmentally friendly, cleaner, and safer. We thought it would be a big deal, and I still do."

sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk APP

KSagal
06-17-2014, 08:43 PM
Using Dean Kamen to sell bike accessories... Good for them. Nice scruples. NOT!

Dean still believes, because he is right about the problem. People have not yet decided the segway is the answer. Clearly bikes are not either, but bikers do not care to hear that. Bikes are far more popular than segways however, so the numbers of those who feel bikes are the answer are more than those who agree with Dean and those of us on this forum that Segways are that answer.

I like bikes. I ride bikes. Clearly not all bikers are bad guys or anti segway, but a sizeable chunk of anti segway vocalists are bikers.

So do what this guy is asking you to do. Read Dean Kamen's inspiring words, and then go buy bicycle doo-dads... Or don't...

Gihgehls
06-18-2014, 12:43 PM
I have an honest question. How many bikes were sold within 15 years of its invention?

KSagal
06-18-2014, 04:45 PM
I have an honest question. How many bikes were sold within 15 years of its invention?

That is a great question! I wonder...

PeteInLongBeach
06-18-2014, 06:37 PM

It's a problematic comparison to the Segway. Unlike the Segway, the bicycle concept evolved over a period of time. Also, the roots of the archetypal bicycle date back about 200 years, so market demographics and volumes would be difficult to compare.

Gihgehls
06-19-2014, 01:46 PM
It's a problematic comparison to the Segway. Unlike the Segway, the bicycle concept evolved over a period of time. Also, the roots of the archetypal bicycle date back about 200 years, so market demographics and volumes would be difficult to compare.

You nailed it. Segways haven't changed much since they were invented. I believe the Segway (and bikes!) will be seen as the ancestor to devices that eventually replace cars.

KSagal
06-19-2014, 10:31 PM
You nailed it. Segways haven't changed much since they were invented. I believe the Segway (and bikes!) will be seen as the ancestor to devices that eventually replace cars.

When people ask me about segways, why I bought, what I think of Segway's future, etc, I have a fairly common response...

I point out that I have an 11 year old daughter (but I have been using her as an example for at least 5 years) and this of course usually comes up when I am on the segway...

I say, look at her, and consider that by the time she gets to be my age (54), and she needs to go 2 miles down to the store to get a gallon of milk, do we really think it will be in something similar to my SUV, or something more like my Segway?

It generally gets people thinking along the line expressed above, that while the segway itself may not replace cars, it is closer to what will replace them than my SUV is.

JohnM
06-20-2014, 10:49 PM
http://m7.i.pbase.com/u40/magpiejst/upload/26321467.3.31milkbicycle1.jpg

Gihgehls
06-22-2014, 04:30 PM
That looks like a very functional kickstand.

KSagal
06-22-2014, 05:20 PM
http://m7.i.pbase.com/u40/magpiejst/upload/26321467.3.31milkbicycle1.jpg

How old is this photo?

How is is germane to the idea of the successor of a segway being an old bicycle? Would that not be the precursor?

JohnM
06-22-2014, 07:12 PM
Just pointing out the absurdity of the "2 miles down to the store to get a gallon of milk" example.

KSagal
06-22-2014, 08:18 PM
Just pointing out the absurdity of the "2 miles down to the store to get a gallon of milk" example.

I notice how you did not answer any questions. How old is the photo? Seems old to me.

That bike was not doing errands, it was a delivery device from generations past. It did not make the main stream.

You can make up all the goofy photos you want, but there is a real discussion going on here.

There have always been visionaries, and curmudgeons. There were centuries when everyone knew the world was flat. There are still a few who say it is so.

Just because people are more familiar with bicycles, does not mean they are something in the future that they are not now.

For decades, people bought horses after cars were introduced. It did not mean that car was doomed, but I am sure if we were in that time frame, you would argue that it did...

KSagal
06-22-2014, 08:33 PM

This is silly. I have never seen a bike like that before, and I would guess there really are not too many like it. They are not taking over the milk errand markets...

I could offer this similar one of a kind photo as proof that furniture delivery vans are a thing of the past, but my picture is no more germane to this discussion than your picture...

http://forums.segwaychat.org/gallery/albums/userpics/11814/normal_Seg_SUV.JPG

airdale
06-23-2014, 08:24 AM
This is silly. I have never seen a bike like that before, and I would guess there really are not too many like it. They are not taking over the milk errand markets...

I could offer this similar one of a kind photo as proof that furniture delivery vans are a thing of the past, but my picture is no more germane to this discussion than your picture...

http://forums.segwaychat.org/gallery/albums/userpics/11814/normal_Seg_SUV.JPG

completely off topic... Is this your setup Karl? If it is could you start a thread of the hookup end and trailer( with pictures)....Im interested in something like this to get diesel fuel for a tractor..

KSagal
06-23-2014, 09:33 PM
completely off topic... Is this your setup Karl? If it is could you start a thread of the hookup end and trailer( with pictures)....Im interested in something like this to get diesel fuel for a tractor..

Yes, there are many threads from years ago regarding trailer hitches and various cargo carrying options...

That particular image is from my photo gallery. I have an entire album for trailers. Check it out. (in the blue border, upper right corner of this page)

You can tell it is pretty old, as that is my e-167 which I sold in 2008 or 2009. I do have a hitch on my i2 however....