PDA

View Full Version : Get road user Protection Downunder

i2Macman
06-03-2014, 06:58 PM
Except in the State of Queensland, segways remain illegal on public roads, sidewalks and cyclways. Yet in the Australian Capital Territory (ACT) a new law will protect vulnerable road users including segways which are still currently illegal in the ACT. Is this report just poor reporting or is something about to happen to change the game? :confused:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/new-protections-for-vulnerable-act-road-users-20140603-zrwoh.html

Tritium
06-04-2014, 03:38 AM
Except in the State of Queensland, segways remain illegal on public roads, sidewalks and cyclways. Yet in the Australian Capital Territory (ACT) a new law will protect vulnerable road users including segways which are still currently illegal in the ACT. Is this report just poor reporting or is something about to happen to change the game? :confused:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/new-protections-for-vulnerable-act-road-users-20140603-zrwoh.html

Let's hope so, Segways have been on the market for more than a decade, and are becoming more popular as time goes by.

JohnM
06-04-2014, 11:16 AM
Let's hope so, Segways have been on the market for more than a decade, and are becoming more popular as time goes by.
Can you back your popularity claim with any facts? I'd be interested in whatever numbers you have.

airdale
06-04-2014, 11:53 AM
Can you back your popularity claim with any facts? I'd be interested in whatever numbers you have.

https://sites.google.com/site/smpa2110sect10fall11/home/d-c-segway-tours

http://www.ohio.com/news/hudson-group-considering-segway-personal-transports-for-historic-city-tours-1.417880

Here are just a few?... Also read that city of Chicago was putting a size on number of tours and how many riders at a time....because they were getting more and more ridership....

Funny how you like to troll around this site....Strange actually?

JohnM
06-04-2014, 02:35 PM
No troll: 27th in positive reputation out of 4000+ members. Over 2000 posts. Been here from the start when this place was hopping. Now its a ghost town. And I miss the old days of civil discourse that didn't automatically result in name calling.

Maybe tours are popular as a quirky vacation activity, but Segways popular as a practical transportation device? Never happened. The worker's parking lot at the Bedford NH factory remains largely empty.

PeteInLongBeach
06-04-2014, 07:46 PM
John, maybe there would be less name calling if there were fewer people coming onto enthusiast forums raining on the parade with a certain agenda.

Just a thought...

Gihgehls
06-05-2014, 12:12 PM
John, maybe there would be less name calling if there were fewer people coming onto enthusiast forums raining on the parade with a certain agenda.

Just a thought...

Off topic post. Flagging and moving on.

KSagal
06-07-2014, 12:25 AM
No troll: 27th in positive reputation out of 4000+ members. Over 2000 posts. Been here from the start when this place was hopping. Now its a ghost town. And I miss the old days of civil discourse that didn't automatically result in name calling.

Maybe tours are popular as a quirky vacation activity, but Segways popular as a practical transportation device? Never happened. The worker's parking lot at the Bedford NH factory remains largely empty.

Interesting how you have appointed yourself as the arbiter of what popular means.

If too many people are using segways, and a city decides to regulate the amount of them in a particular group or area, that cannot be because they are less popular, but because someone feels that they are becoming too popular.

JohnM, your post that requested numbers to defend the statement of increased popularity was in response to increased access in far away countries. That also indicates increasing popularity.

Just because you asked for numbers, and were given examples, but then posted how those particular examples do not meet your standards, does not mean they are not answers to your query.

For me, I believe that increased acceptance is pretty close to increased popularity. I do not know numbers, and do not claim to know any. But the company still exists, we have threads here about new access in some countries, and other places that have too many segways for their comfort.

None of this means that segways will dominate any environment, but it is all evidence that they enjoy increased acceptance and popularity.

Lily Kerns
06-07-2014, 11:26 PM
This is my third year for attending a large church conference in Springfield MO. I missed last year,and am quite amazed by the general shift in attitude toward my Segway use. I still get the intensive questioning about its use for disabilities. However, general skepticism has disappeared and replaced for the most part with a "Thumbs Up!" or " I'm green with envy" attitude.

I'm not quite sure why this much change in two short years, but it is very noticeable.

PeteInLongBeach
06-09-2014, 08:13 PM
This is my third year for attending a large church conference in Springfield MO. I missed last year,and am quite amazed by the general shift in attitude toward my Segway use. I still get the intensive questioning about its use for disabilities. However, general skepticism has disappeared and replaced for the most part with a "Thumbs Up!" or " I'm green with envy" attitude.

I'm not quite sure why this much change in two short years, but it is very noticeable.

Lily, I was about to post a similar comment (in part to appease the off-topic constable here). Lately the snark seems to have diminished, and sincere curiosity and positive comments have increased. Also, people seem to be messing with it less often when it's parked, which I appreciate most of all.

airdale
06-10-2014, 08:48 AM
I think it is wonderful, between the 3 little towns that I ride around weekly!...

I made sure with all local police it was cool to ride on sidewalks with it....

Even crossing the streets are getting better I am treated like a pedestrian....

I am very offended when someone comes here bashing and asking to prove there acceptance or there growing use....

I lost my bus locally and now I can ride to the bus and get to other towns or just get to Dr. appointments and shopping without needed to use a taxi..