PDA

View Full Version : Standard vs Offroad

aricisom
11-04-2011, 09:33 PM
Has anyone tried to replace the Standard Tires on a PT-i180 with Offroad tires? Is it possible? :confused:

aricisom
12-28-2011, 10:43 PM
Well, I found an answer toths question myself. The answer is :Yes... :p

Here is the link, just in case anyone else is intrested:

http://www.glide4less.com/product/new-segway-gen1iseries--xt2turf-hybrid-conversion-kit

:D

KSagal
12-28-2011, 11:31 PM
Aric,

It may depend on what you consider off road tires.

I sold many tires called 'trials' that many others used and bought from many sources, that fit on the original wheels, yet had a rugged lug in the tread, and was a great middle ground tire. It was very much aggressive enough for off road, but also not much wider than the original, so it still fit thru doorways easily.

That kit you mentioned is surely another way to go, and several did. One advantage (and disadvantage) is that they are larger diameter tires, as well as larger width. That makes the top speed of the segway faster, but also reduces start off torque. (Not exactly technically correct, but you hopefully understand)

The larger tires also affect braking, so be careful.

Good luck, and have fun. A little searching this forum will find many threads debating tires of all sorts, and the pros and cons related to them.

aricisom
12-28-2011, 11:47 PM
Thank you for the input, and I will go look for those other threads...thanks again. :)

KSagal
12-29-2011, 12:38 AM
No problem.

You do not seem afraid to experiment. I have always liked a better tire, because of several factors. But I also like to be able to go indoors, or more specifically, thru doors.

Currently, on my i2, I have used a hybred tire. I have it mounted on my i2 rims, but the factory tire is about a 19 inch tire, about 2 3/4 inches wide. (that's 100 /60 tire)

I like a slightly larger tire for the speed, but also for curb and bump climbing. I also like a larger side wall (factory standard is 60% of the 100mm tread width) because the sidewall is both the suspension system, and enhances the cornering and grip during corners...

What I do not like is the soft, almost spongy ride of the X series, and the tremendous loss of range. Many people use more air pressure (factory says 4 pounds, but many use 10 or more) as it give a harder tire, still soft enough, but hard enough also to give much more range. Problem is that on bumpy terrain, it now bounces a lot.

So, my compromise was to use that hybred tire that is about 3 inches wide, (not much wider) but with a knobby tread and a 3 inch sidewall. That gives a much softer ride, with a great deal of grip for off road or dirt trails, but is still narrow enough to go thru doorways.

I am faster than a factory standard i2 or x2, but slower than a factory i2 (or gen 1) that is set for standard 19 inch tires but is converted to x series tires of 21 inches. (like the kit on your 2nd post would make)

My tires are about 20 inches or so. Maybe closer to 21. (I have never raced these tires against any other segway, and would love to have the opportunity to compare to a converted i to x model.)

So, there is a bit more to chew on. Have fun. Post what you eventually decide to do.

aricisom
12-29-2011, 01:17 AM
No problem.

You do not seem afraid to experiment. I have always liked a better tire, because of several factors. But I also like to be able to go indoors, or more specifically, thru doors.

Currently, on my i2, I have used a hybred tire. I have it mounted on my i2 rims, but the factory tire is about a 19 inch tire, about 2 3/4 inches wide. (that's 100 /60 tire)

I like a slightly larger tire for the speed, but also for curb and bump climbing. I also like a larger side wall (factory standard is 60% of the 100mm tread width) because the sidewall is both the suspension system, and enhances the cornering and grip during corners...

What I do not like is the soft, almost spongy ride of the X series, and the tremendous loss of range. Many people use more air pressure (factory says 4 pounds, but many use 10 or more) as it give a harder tire, still soft enough, but hard enough also to give much more range. Problem is that on bumpy terrain, it now bounces a lot.

So, my compromise was to use that hybred tire that is about 3 inches wide, (not much wider) but with a knobby tread and a 3 inch sidewall. That gives a much softer ride, with a great deal of grip for off road or dirt trails, but is still narrow enough to go thru doorways.

I am faster than a factory standard i2 or x2, but slower than a factory i2 (or gen 1) that is set for standard 19 inch tires but is converted to x series tires of 21 inches. (like the kit on your 2nd post would make)

My tires are about 20 inches or so. Maybe closer to 21. (I have never raced these tires against any other segway, and would love to have the opportunity to compare to a converted i to x model.)

So, there is a bit more to chew on. Have fun. Post what you eventually decide to do.

Do you think those hybrid tires would work on a non-converted gen 1 glide?

KSagal
12-29-2011, 03:14 AM
Do you think those hybrid tires would work on a non-converted gen 1 glide?

The gen 1 machines were a bit more tolerant under the fender than the gen 2. The biggest problem is getting them to fit under there. I use a tire too big, and made my own fenders instead. One day I will post same.

The 180 fender is fine, but the mud shields are a bit tight at the screw heads, or clips where it attaches to the fender. Without the shields, there is more room for creativity of different tires.

Look at the pictures in the photo gallery and old gallery at the top right corner of this forum. There are lots of photos of lots of tire options. You can see my gen 1 with different tires in my galleries.