PDA

View Full Version : unidentified fault in the Segway HT

seggin_dan
07-19-2009, 11:04 AM
First off, whoever helps, THANK YOU!!!

After a few months of being an owner of bright yellow, used Seg HT, I thought I'd calm things down and paint my rig to be more me, khaki.

So here's what I painted:

Handlebars
Handlebar grip tips
Control Shaft Adjuster
Control Shaft Base
Fenders
I also plastic-coated my steering grip cause the factory rubber was coming off.

Life was grand. Everything looked great. Assembly/disassembly was cake. After everything was finished, I started her up and went for a glide.
During the glide, I received critical error, "get the heck off of me, I'm shutting down" message. So I did and I waited a few minutes for her to reposition/fix herself. I tried to start to start her up again and all I get is the Unidentified Error.

At this point, life isn't so grand. I researched here, there and over yonder looking for solutions. I've taken everything apart three times now, checking and rechecking connections.

Two areas of concern I'll share:
I did not remove the batteries before removing/replacing the CSB (now I know). But she ran for a good 5 minutes before shutting down, so this shouldn't be an issue, right?
[LIST=2]I tried to take apart the CSB by removing ALL the bottom screws, but when I learned force was involved, I put it back together. Could something have come off that I can't see? Charging appears to be working thought. Green with batteries. Red without.

I know this is rather lengthy, but I want the readers to know everything I know. Again, thanks to anyone who can provide any pointers on how I can get her running again? I really do need her.

dan

Joushou
07-20-2009, 06:29 AM
Lengthy? Nah, then you haven't read some of my posts ;)

My first thought is the connection from the powerbase to the controlshaft... Maybe something have gotten loose?
Make sure the connectors are connected (D'OH! ;)), and check if you have damaged the wires going into the powerbase... Maybe they got damaged.

You could take the top of the powerbase and check the wires... Since it's a Gen1, i assume it's way out of warranty, so everything you mess up down there is going to get paid from your pocket...

KSagal
07-20-2009, 10:20 AM
I don't mean to disagree with my colleague Kenny, but there is no reason at all to remove the top of the base, as there are no user serviceable parts in there... You will destroy the seal, and not do yourself any good.

Next, if you did not figure out how get the CS base off, you will not easily get the top off either, and of course the CS base comes off first...

I would check those connectors inside the CS shaft as suggested... They may have been plugged, but not latched, so a short glide made them come just a bit loose, or some pins may be making contact, and others not...

Also, look for wear or scuffs on the wires themselves as well...

Additionally, remember that there are wire connectors at both ends of the coil of wires...

Also, if you take both batteries off, it will do a more complete reset than if you just unplug and replug of the CS shaft... Because of this, it is the next step.

Good luck.

jgbackes
07-20-2009, 02:35 PM
You didn't say if you removed the handlebar from the control shaft to do your painting. There is also a chance you loosened the connection to the wiring harness located at the top end. As I recall there are zip ties holding the connectors YMMV.

seggin_dan
07-20-2009, 03:20 PM
We're golden! She is now operational. Because I am impatient and I was the one who created this mess, I felt I had to reach out to my Seg dealer versus me tinkering even further—just playing it safe.

And the fix: reinstalling the software.

Thanks Mark, my new BFF at Segway of Nashville. And thanks to all the posters for taking the time and trying to help.

dan

Joushou
07-20-2009, 07:39 PM
I don't mean to disagree with my colleague Kenny, but there is no reason at all to remove the top of the base, as there are no user serviceable parts in there... You will destroy the seal, and not do yourself any good.

I'm always right! And when i'm not, the world will bend around my words, making me right! ;)

Well, the wires from the CS has to end somewhere (At least i assume so :P), and what i was most worried about was the connection to the rest of the Segway... Maybe he had ripped a wire off? But as you say, not a good thing to mess with...

Well, it's good it got fixed! (But why the !#?@ did the software get messed up?)