PDA

View Full Version : SegVator Help and Hints

OregonForester
02-10-2009, 07:24 PM
I received my SegVator on Friday.
It took about 45 minutes to assemble (15 minutes of which was removing all of the shipping tape!).
A great product! I'm very pleased.

Now, even my 9 year old granddaughter can load and unload our Segs by herself.

OregonForester
02-10-2009, 08:09 PM
Did you get it with the inverter?

Yes, I did, and I was also pleasantly suprised that it also included two coiled charging cords.

The one mod that I feel that I need to make is that the inverter cover needs to be "open" while charging (to reduce the heat that is generated)...however, I fear that the hinged cover will "dangle" in the wind, and bang against my tailgate. A simple fix will enable me to simply remove the cover while travelling.

OregonForester
02-10-2009, 08:49 PM
Yes, the cover is there to protect the inverter from the rain, but it has a hinged lid that has to be left open when the power cords are attached.
The hinged lid swings towards my tailgate.
I would only remove the lid when the weather is good (and I since I am fairweather bitch, I typically only Seg in sunny weather), but in inclement weather, I would simply not charge my Segs while travelling.
Even leaving the cover to "dangle" would expose the inverter to the elements.

OregonForester
02-10-2009, 09:31 PM
I too, am reluctant to travel with my Segs exposed to the elements, but due to the fact that I normally drive a pickup, when I do load them into the bed they are already exposed.
As far as allowing the inverter to be a victim of foul weather, I will simply not use it in the rain.
When considering the overall cost of a SegVator however, the additional cost of $100 for the inverter is (IMHO) a bargain, especially due to the fact that it is there if I need it.

I am also concerned that if anyone should hit me from behind, the first casualties will be (not only) the SegVator, but also $11K worth of Segways.

That is a risk that I have to assume. That, or walk when I arrive at my destination.

DarthSegVator
02-10-2009, 10:32 PM
Yes, I did, and I was also pleasantly suprised that it also included two coiled charging cords.

The one mod that I feel that I need to make is that the inverter cover needs to be "open" while charging (to reduce the heat that is generated)...however, I fear that the hinged cover will "dangle" in the wind, and bang against my tailgate. A simple fix will enable me to simply remove the cover while travelling.

I sent you a PM on one way to address this concern.

OregonForester
02-11-2009, 05:58 PM
I sent you a PM on one way to address this concern.

Thanks Darth, I do appreciate the PM. I really think that you should post it publicly, as it contains very good advice.

You build an excellent product, and obviously provide great customer service as well.

btw...I have partial interest in a metal fab shop, and all four of the welders there were very impressed with both your design, and your work.

Thanks again!

DarthSegVator
02-11-2009, 08:44 PM
Here's what I sent to OregonForester:

The door will flop around and we haven't spent any time working on this due to Segs4Vets priorities.

I use some zip-ties in series (depending on the length) and snug them up with the door open (and the cords plugged in). Trim off the excess from the tie ends (use black ties) and leave in place when the door is closed.

You can kind of thread (or tuck) one of the ties beneath the two inverter box mounting screws and it will stay in place.

This method only allows the door to open enough to attach the power cords and doesn't flap around when in use.

I hope this helps. I can snap a photo if you like.

Also, keep an eye on the rubber feet on the locking arms. If the platform gets sticky (especially in hot weather) they can be pulled-off when lowering the Segway.

I've used Plasti-Dip (in black) to dip the rubber feet section of the locking arms just up to the first slight bend point (about 1 1/2"). Coat it a couple of times letting it cure (dry) in between.

I haven't had an issue since using the Plasti-Dip. I found mine at Tru-Value hardware. A small can goes a long way.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need any other "tips".

Note: The Plasti-Dip idea came from JGBackes - Thanks Jeff! OregonForester also suggested velcro to keep the door from flapping or a small bungee cord.

emrnyc
02-11-2009, 09:35 PM

The door will flop around and we haven't spent any time working on this due to Segs4Vets priorities.

I use some zip-ties in series (depending on the length) and snug them up with the door open (and the cords plugged in). Trim off the excess from the tie ends (use black ties) and leave in place when the door is closed.

You can kind of thread (or tuck) one of the ties beneath the two inverter box mounting screws and it will stay in place.

This method only allows the door to open enough to attach the power cords and doesn't flap around when in use.

I hope this helps. I can snap a photo if you like.

Also, keep an eye on the rubber feet on the locking arms. If the platform gets sticky (especially in hot weather) they can be pulled-off when lowering the Segway.

I've used Plasti-Dip (in black) to dip the rubber feet section of the locking arms just up to the first slight bend point (about 1 1/2"). Coat it a couple of times letting it cure (dry) in between.

I haven't had an issue since using the Plasti-Dip. I found mine at Tru-Value hardware. A small can goes a long way.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need any other "tips".

Note: The Plasti-Dip idea came from JGBackes - Thanks Jeff! OregonForester also suggested velcro to keep the door from flapping or a small bungee cord.

Our problem with the inverter is that when you try to plug in the cords it is on an angle and you can't plug the plugs in all the way. Also when we plug in 2 segways the over current alarm goes off....
Martin

DarthSegVator
02-12-2009, 12:07 AM
The older three-prong spiral power cord plugs do fit all the way in, but they are tight. It takes a bit of work to get them seated. The newer two-prong spiral power cords are much easier.

On the charging issue, first make sure the vehicle is running.

When charging two Segways, plug one in and wait a minute or two before plugging in the other Segway. This will allow the first one to go through the initial surge cycle and level out at around 140W before the second goes through its initial surge. This should clear up the issue with the inverter alarm.

I hope this helps.

wwhopper
02-13-2009, 10:35 AM
This thread is being started to hold hints and discussions from another thread that were off topic.

Bob.Kerns
02-13-2009, 04:22 PM
This thread is being started to hold hints and discussions from another thread that were off topic.

Can I be the first to post something off topic?

Oh wait, I have something on topic, though simple.

When ordering a SegVator -- be sure to specify if you want an inverter. It's not the default, as it might seem from looking at the website. It's not easy to fix after-the-fact.

BillK
02-18-2009, 08:54 AM
Here are the things I have found with the product -
1. it is an incredible product
2. would not have a Segway without it
3. a bungee cord keeps the inverter cover from flapping while driving and charging just fine
4. Some three inch pads from Lowes (the ones that you can put heavy equipment on and push to move it) keep damage to the Segway pads to a minimum when lifting the segway up (the one inch pads on the Segvator leave a divot on the standing pad when you raise up the Segs).
5. get one charging with the motor running and after a minute plug in the second one and you can USUALLY get around the charging alarm problem.

Highly recommended product.
Bill

Bob.Kerns
02-18-2009, 10:23 AM
4. Some three inch pads from Lowes (the ones that you can put heavy equipment on and push to move it) keep damage to the Segway pads to a minimum when lifting the segway up (the one inch pads on the Segvator leave a divot on the standing pad when you raise up the Segs).

I find those divots quickly fade on their own and haven't been a problem. They might fade more slowly in cold weather -- I don't know, I haven't been able to use my SegVator lately due to my receiver hitch being broken. Supposedly they're building me a new one, but I have to check in and see what's up with that.

DarthSegVator
06-07-2009, 07:02 AM
If you have the inverter kit option, remember that your "running lights" need to be on to activate the power circuit for the inverter. This was done to help prevent draining your battery from leaving the Segway(s) charging when the vehicle is off. Most vehicles will complain when you get out with your lights still on to also remind you and protect your vehicle battery charge.

"Daytime driving lights" are not "running lights".

Bob.Kerns
06-07-2009, 12:20 PM
If you have the inverter kit option, remember that your "running lights" need to be on to activate the power circuit for the inverter. This was done to help prevent draining your battery from leaving the Segway(s) charging when the vehicle is off. Most vehicles will complain when you get out with your lights still on to also remind you and protect your vehicle battery charge.

"Daytime driving lights" are not "running lights".

I don't have daytime driving lights -- my wife does, that wasn't introduced into the Prius until later.

But it would seem to me that daytime driving lights would be better? I find I forget to turn ON the lights. Daytime driving lights generally turn off when the vehicle is off (as do the lights on my car), so they'd shut down the charging system as well or better than the driving lights?

Of course, if you're using the socket for anything besides the Segvator, you're constrained, but if you're wiring it specifically for the Segvator, you have a choice.

BP K9 Miami
09-24-2011, 04:46 PM

"Also, keep an eye on the rubber feet on the locking arms. If the platform gets sticky (especially in hot weather) they can be pulled-off"

I can verify this statement, the hard way. I recently made a round trip Texas to Florida and when I unloaded upon my return found one of the rubber feet missing! Arrrrgggg (and other words to that effect). I've been looking for a replacement foot (feets?), but have already done the Plasti-dip from my in house stock (you'll be surprised how many things it will work on).
;)

Bob.Kerns
09-30-2011, 12:48 AM
I'm missing both feet. It still works, but do you sell replacements?

DarthSegVator
09-30-2011, 08:33 AM
Keep an eye on the rubber feet on the locking arms. If the Segway platform gets sticky (especially in hot weather) they can be pulled-off when lowering the Segway.

I've used Plasti-Dip (in black or clear) to dip the rubber feet section of the locking arms just up to the first slight bend point (about 1 1/2"). Coat it a couple of times letting it cure (dry) in between.

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

Jmay
12-02-2011, 09:49 PM
I received my SegVator on Friday.
It took about 45 minutes to assemble (15 minutes of which was removing all of the shipping tape!).
A great product! I'm very pleased.

Now, even my 9 year old granddaughter can load and unload our Segs by herself.
Has anyone mounted a Segvator on the back of a Toyota Prius? They do make a hitch for the Prius but do you think that the weight of the Segvator plus the weight of the Segway might be too much?

Bob.Kerns
12-10-2011, 08:11 PM
Has anyone mounted a Segvator on the back of a Toyota Prius? They do make a hitch for the Prius but do you think that the weight of the Segvator plus the weight of the Segway might be too much?

No, but you do have to be careful about clearance when going over dips, so the Segway doesn't drag. Set the Segvator on the highest position, and proceed slowly over dips, preferably at an angle so both rear tires don't hit the deepest point at the same moment.

I have a gen-1 Prius; I suspect the position is a bit higher for a gen-2 which would help, but I don't know for sure.

jgbackes
12-15-2011, 03:44 AM
I sold my truck, but the first thing I added to my new ride was a receiver for my SegVator.

If you look at the last picture you will see both segs on the back "headless" for a trip to and from San Francisco <-> Tucson

jeff