PDA

View Full Version : Batteries Again

Tory
12-07-2008, 09:01 AM
Sorry to bring up batteries again but something still has me puzzled. People have said nearly everything there could be said about batteries. I haven't ridden my Segway in about 10 to 12 weeks but I do have it plugged in 24/7 . I am considering putting the Segway on a milk crate or whatever and let it run down to about 1 bar then plug it back in 24/7 and do the run down again in a couple of months. SO AM I DOING THE RIGHT THING???? Thanks for any help you might be able to offer. From a cold icy place in central Canada. Tory:

wwhopper
12-07-2008, 09:11 AM
would be to prevent flat spotting of the tires.

I would go ahead and unplug it, turn it on, and put it into balance mode and lean it against a wall - put something behind it so it does not by chance roll backward.

Then let it run until it goes empty. The batteries do like to be used.

bentbiker
12-07-2008, 11:59 AM
would be to prevent flat spotting of the tires.

I would go ahead and unplug it, turn it on, and put it into balance mode and lean it against a wall - put something behind it so it does not by chance roll backward.

Then let it run until it goes empty. The batteries do like to be used.
I agree that the batteries like to be exercised, but we are talking about Li-Ions here, and I wonder if you've seen evidence that just running them down by leaning is sufficient to do any good. I thought the slow rundown of the Li-Ions was only good for recalibrating the battery gauge when necessary.

As for the milk crate, you can't run the Seg with the wheels off the ground. I would take the batteries off the unit if it is going to sit for 4 months, and set an alert in my computer to remind me to check the voltage with a voltmeter every month or so to make sure the voltage doesn't drop below 68 volts or so. I suspect you'd need to recharge them no more than one or two times over that time frame, and possibly none.

MTOBATTERY
12-09-2008, 01:54 PM
Honestly it is better to run them down by riding since the amperage will be higher but leaning it would work as well. The biggest problem is how long it takes to run it down by leaning.

I definitely agree with John. Charge them the whole way, remove them from the unit, and monitor the voltage. I would suggest not allowing them to drop below 70V just to be a little more conservative. By removing the batteries from the Segway you drastically decrease the slow discharge imposed by the Segway. Continuous charging is also not a very good option as I have repaired many batteries that were on charge for extended periods of time and suddenly failed. Good luck!

bintuni
07-11-2010, 06:39 AM
Hi Jason.
I also have same problem with 2 unit segway i180. every times, I did not ride it, I plugged on charge mode. If I'm not able to use my segway because of my busy working days, sometimes I only told people at my house to turn on the segway without ride it. So I assume the segway has been used.

But now 2 of my segway have red battery indicator. 1 segway have both battery with red indicator. but the other segway still showing Red and Green when I'm plugged to electricity.

How much cost for rebuild battery NiHm for segway i180? I think I need to repaired 3 battery. do you ship to indonesia? as now I lived in bali island.

regards
permadi