PDA

View Full Version : OK OK... I'ma thinking...

amm0bob
10-14-2008, 01:34 AM
I showed my frau this two-wheeled mover... and she doesn't think it makes her look impaired... and would use the wheelchair version before the real thing, or anything Larkish...

I believe it may well be worth the coins for her improvement on the quality of living.

But I'll listen in on your opinions as to the practical use of the version we will need.

Thank you for your time.
Bob Jr

Bob.Kerns
10-14-2008, 11:50 AM
I showed my frau this two-wheeled mover... and she doesn't think it makes her look impaired... and would use the wheelchair version before the real thing, or anything Larkish...

I believe it may well be worth the coins for her improvement on the quality of living.

But I'll listen in on your opinions as to the practical use of the version we will need.

Thank you for your time.
Bob Jr

I can't really advice you on the question in your other thread -- basically boiling down to whether to get a new second-generation one or a used first-generation. I haven't used a generation one, nor have I used the seats for either.

But I can tell you I am absolutely thrilled with it as a mobility device. It is SO much better than a wheelchair -- so much more maneuverable, and safer around other people.

When I'm no longer able to stand long enough, I'll be getting a seat for mine. (For now, it's better to push myself and stand when possible). I'm sure I'll adapt to whatever oddities are involved with using a LeanSeat on my i2. No way I'm going back to using a wheelchair until there's no choice.

KSagal
10-14-2008, 12:16 PM
What more can be said...

I do not have an imparement. (At least not a mobility one :D)

I do have many friends that have them, and of all those who have tried a segway seriously, not a single one of them has chosen a wheelchair over the segway, if they could use both...

Each person has their own needs however. Some may not be comfortable on a segway, and some may not be able to use it, and some may only be able to use it on some days...

This is a very personal choice that needs to be made on a case by case basis. There is no one right answer.

The segway has been far and above any other answer for lots of people, however... I hope it can be one for you and your Frau...

By the way, if you both have one, you will be equal again on that next glide...

wwhopper
10-14-2008, 02:10 PM
And if she is open to it, find a local dealer who is comfortable working with folks with mobility issues and give it a try.

The key is the right training, more so with someone who has mobility problems. Each person is very different in what their needs are.

Today in working with a woman whose legs and knees were an issue, it took some extra time training the getting on and off of the Segway. Which for most people, happens easily, but for someone with a mobility issue it takes awhile for them to feel comfortable, and then a bit more for them to do it by themselves.

The key in training is so they can do everything by themselves without help from another person.

In the Segs4Vets training we have found using walls and steady objects to lean the seg against to be a valuable tool.

Good luck, I bet she will enjoy it, and then you will have to get one tooo. As everyone here will tell you, one Segway is a lot of Fun, but two is more than one times two in the amount of fun you can have together.

Suzined
10-14-2008, 06:59 PM
i180 vs. i2?

There are several threads on this but simply, if there is a balance problem then perhaps an i180 is better suited. The i180 offers a bit more assistance with balance since you can use the Control Shaft for stability. When mounting or dismounting an i2 there is a tendency to cause a turn when all you want is a little help balancing. Mounting a Segway is difficult to do if the &$#!@ is turning on you.

It's a very individual decision and to parrot a few others, get a dealer to help you and take a couple of long glides, like an hour or so each. Understand this may be physically difficult, just like anything, it takes some physical conditioning to get unused muscle to stop screaming. Talk to a young physical therapist--they tend to be more open to new ideas and be sure to point out the Segs4Vets success story.

I purchase two i180s on the theory if mine broke down I'd use hers till repairs were completed. Now, after two years of gliding, I think I could have used an i2 but it would have been more difficult. ...and probably have resulted in a few more face-plants.

If you get a Segway for your wife, you will quickly become the one left behind. My wife, poor thing, is able-bodied so we had to get her a Segway so she could keep up.

LibertySegway
10-14-2008, 07:30 PM
I don't want to make this a pitch but I rent Segs in the Sacramento area and I have both Gen 1s and Gen 2s. I am even thinking about selling a couple since the rental business pretty much stinks. Its great fun but not what you'd call a money maker. Got into it just to subsidize my hobby (Segway Polo) and share the Segway experience with others so I am not too disappointed. Anyway I bring Segs out to your place or wherever you want so for your needs it would be a lot easier than taking a standard tour.

Also if you wanted just a short demo you can always drop by one on the GoldRush practices and you can give it a whirl. One of our team members uses his Seg as an ADA device. He tried both and prefered the stability of the Gen 1. While the Gen2 is more intuitive the Gen 1 is definately more stable. Its really a personal preference that you've got to try out. We have a great group of gliders in the area so when (not if) you do get Segs and want to group glide there is usually someone around to join in. We are also planning a picnic on Nov 8 down at Camden Park in Elk Grove that you are welcome to attend. Drop me a PM if you like.

You can get more info at SacSeg.com or LibertySegway.com

- Sherry

Go GoldRush - 2008 Woz Challenge Cup Champions!

Mr_Laurenzano
10-14-2008, 08:06 PM
I don't want to make this a pitch but I rent Segs in the Sacramento area and I have both Gen 1s and Gen 2s. I am even thinking about selling a couple since the rental business pretty much stinks. Its great fun but not what you'd call a money maker. Got into it just to subsidize my hobby (Segway Polo) and share the Segway experience with others so I am not too disappointed. Anyway I bring Segs out to your place or wherever you want so for your needs it would be a lot easier than taking a standard tour.

Also if you wanted just a short demo you can always drop by one on the GoldRush practices and you can give it a whirl. One of our team members uses his Seg as an ADA device. He tried both and prefered the stability of the Gen 1. While the Gen2 is more intuitive the Gen 1 is definately more stable. Its really a personal preference that you've got to try out. We have a great group of gliders in the area so when (not if) you do get Segs and want to group glide there is usually someone around to join in. We are also planning a picnic on Nov 6 down at Camden Park in Elk Grove that you are welcome to attend. Drop me a PM if you like.

You can get more info at SacSeg.com or LibertySegway.com

- Sherry

Go GoldRush - 2008 Woz Challenge Cup Champions!

Thunk, Slam Thunk.
Stable, Slam Think.
:cool: