PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions as to which model to be on the lookout for

john-boy97
08-05-2008, 09:15 PM
Hey y'all,
As I stated in my introduction post, I work in a fairly large building and with knee and back problems, I have a hard time making all the rounds required of me in a day. I also like to fish and travel with my wife and I would appreciate any suggestions for which model and which options I shout be on the lookout for. Since both my wife and myself are approaching 60 and both of us have arthritis, when I get one for me, I plan to try to get my wife interested in also getting one so we can glide together. We ride bicycles, a fully recumbent and a semi-recumbent, but there are a lot of places, like in stores,etc., where one cannot take a bike. Any suggestions with reasons why you make that suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, again,
John

mark1qhorsey
08-23-2008, 09:00 AM
I am surprised no one responded earlier. But, here goes. Both you and your spouse should try gliding on the i2 before you buy one. Get comfortable with it. Know that wearing very comfortable shoes and having comfort mats on the base are important. The machine is not tiny nor does it look like any other disabled person's wheel chair. You may be able to affix a disability sign on them to ease your access to public/private places. That said, it's all about gliding for distances you are willing to stand upright, with some restricted movement. Those are just some considerations. There are issues about legality in your town as well, just check your codes website. Your employer's support is also critical. There is lots of info on the SegChat disabilities thread as well. Go Glide and have some fun! The i2 is probably the best for you both.

Hey y'all,
As I stated in my introduction post, I work in a fairly large building and with knee and back problems, I have a hard time making all the rounds required of me in a day. I also like to fish and travel with my wife and I would appreciate any suggestions for which model and which options I shout be on the lookout for. Since both my wife and myself are approaching 60 and both of us have arthritis, when I get one for me, I plan to try to get my wife interested in also getting one so we can glide together. We ride bicycles, a fully recumbent and a semi-recumbent, but there are a lot of places, like in stores,etc., where one cannot take a bike. Any suggestions with reasons why you make that suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, again,
John

DaveA
08-24-2008, 01:26 PM
... back problems

Don't know what you mean by "back problems", so I'd recommend some caution here. If you are standing flat on your feet with your knees locked, every little bump is transmitted straight up your back. You probably should try one for a couple of hours first before you take the big expensive plunge.

I also like to fish and travel with my wife

Segways aren't exactly lightweight; it's possible to load two in the back of your SUV, but at 130 lbs apiece and no easy way to grasp them you won't be eager to do this often. There's your back problem to remember, too. So check out the SegVator (http://www.segvator.com) site for one solution recommended by many.

Bob.Kerns
08-24-2008, 02:06 PM
Don't know what you mean by "back problems", so I'd recommend some caution here. If you are standing flat on your feet with your knees locked, every little bump is transmitted straight up your back. You probably should try one for a couple of hours first before you take the big expensive plunge.

Segways aren't exactly lightweight; it's possible to load two in the back of your SUV, but at 130 lbs apiece and no easy way to grasp them you won't be eager to do this often. There's your back problem to remember, too. So check out the SegVator (http://www.segvator.com) site for one solution recommended by many.

I agree (strongly) with the advice to try before you buy. But don't be discouraged in advance -- depending on our particular case, it may not bother your back. In my case, with a couple bulging disks in my cervical spine thanks to being rear-ended a couple years ago, I find the Segway actually helps. That's because it reduces how much I use my cane, allowing me to stand upright without distorting my spine. And motion is helpful for a wide range of back problems.

Remember, you SHOULD keep your knees flexed, with a significant part of your weight on your toes. And you an avoid a lot of jarring by slowing down before going over bumps, etc. But with more experience, I found I could let my legs absorb more of the shock, and I didn't need to slow down for as many situations.

On the other hand, it tends to aggravate my legs. But that's a use-it-or-lose-it situation; it's healthier for me to use my legs even if it aggravates my symptoms.

The weight of the i2 is "only" 105 pounds. But even at that lighter weight, it may be contraindicated for you. You can reduce that somewhat by removing the leansteer, but that's a time-consuming pain. (I have to do that to get it into my trunk, unfortunately). I'll be looking into getting a SegVator... the hard part is getting a trailer hitch put on an old Prius -- and deciding whether to put that investment into an 8-year-old Prius or upgrade.

And if you're not very big, you'll find the sheer size and shape of the Segway to be a challenge for lifting, and it could make it risky for you to lift alone even if your back is perfect. I'm huge with very long arms, so I manage OK, but looking at doing it four times a day, the odds of NOT having a problem and injuring myself start to look a bit dicey, and that's part of why I'm looking into getting a SegVator.

That, and the need to sit in the cold rain while I attach/detach the leansteer...

An alternative is to use a ramp, and use the Segway's power to get it into the vehicle.