PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Simi Valley CA

Rusty Hemenway
07-23-2008, 10:44 PM
This morning my wife and I found ourselves headed north, in the fog, to Santa Barbara CA, where Jerry, the Segway dealer was waiting to let me try and crash a I2.

We arrived about 11 am and Jerry went right to work getting me onboard one of his I2's. It was easy! No crashes. No bent fenders. No pain.

So I plunked down my credit card and purchased a I2 Commuter along with the expensive LED light.

I take delivery in about a week. Am looking forward to seeing how far I can get into town before the "Traffic" police stop and ask what I'm driving.

I called the Pd last night and they had no idea if there were any regulations about Segway's. Referred me to the Traffic division. The first person I talked to, had never heard of Segway's. The duty officer had seen them on TV. I think one of my first trips will be to the police station (hopefully without an escourt). Also think I'll take a copy of the new state law regarding these types of vehicles.

Eric Payne
07-23-2008, 11:56 PM
....I think one of my first trips will be to the police station (hopefully without an escourt). Also think I'll take a copy of the new state law regarding these types of vehicles.

Welcome, Rusty!

One of the things I want to tell you, right up front, is at some point, you are going to have a "crash." We all have. Sometimes, it just can't be helped or avoided.

If you are a disabled person, the Governator recently signed into law classifying a Segway as a mobility device. Literally, this has been within the last 90 days. If you go looking around in here, you'll probably find threads concerning that.

So, if you are a disabled person, you should be allowed access anywhere a wheelchair is allowed, if the local community doesn't have additional laws that restrict the use of a Segway. So my recommendation, if you are a disabled person, get yourself a disability placard, issued by the state, and carry it in the front bag (since you said you got the Commuter package). And if your doctor will do it; if you can get him to write a 'scrip saying you are in need of mobility assistance device, you can write your Segway off your 1040 in December/January when you file your taxes.

But now comes the most important decision you've ever had to make in your life. This decision is much more important than the ones you made prior to marrying, or having children, or sending those children off to college. This upcoming decision's effects will ripple across the quantum fields of the Universe, the ramifications of which could be responsible for new growths in the Platinum fields of Elekanamun... or the eradication of the wild zinda beasts free roaming in the snowforests of Autu...

And that decision is...

What are you going to name your new Segway?

Eric Payne
Lawrenceville, GA

BarryT
07-24-2008, 12:48 PM
Rusty, you are gonna have loads of fun. You will find just about everything within these forums you will ever need to know about segways. There are also local segway gatherings (forum on this site events, gatherings) or check yahoo, myspace, the local dealership, and of course you can always start your own. (build it and they will come philosophy)

Have a blast !

Gihgehls
07-24-2008, 02:23 PM
I'm pretty sure the Simi cops will be too busy busting the balls of teenagers to bother you. Then again, they do get really, really bored. I'm over in Camarillo, so if you ever need help, hit me up. I'd be happy to meet up with you and help you with your seg.

LibertySegway
07-24-2008, 05:12 PM
Step 2.....buy the wife a Seg! :D

Eric Payne
07-24-2008, 05:27 PM
Step 2.....buy the wife a Seg! :D

Now what would he want to go and do a thing like that for so soon? Let him have six months or so to himself to enjoy some alone time. Then, maybe, let the spouse get one. A Gen 1. With nickels. Old nickels, that have, maybe, can hold an eight mile charge.

:)

Eric Payne
Lawrenceville, GA

Rusty Hemenway
07-26-2008, 10:02 PM
I'll get my wife one if she can learn to ride mine. I never could get her to ride a bike. She would get laughing and then tip over.