PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Glendale, CA

mmedlock
07-11-2008, 12:49 AM
Hi, all. I purchased an i2 commuter from Segway Santa Monica about a month ago and I've been commuting from Glendale to Burbank (around 5.5 miles each way, fluctuates due to different routes, etc.) 5 or 6 - or 7 - ugh!) days a week since day one. I've been working 14-18 hour days most of that time (the company I work for is merging with another one) so I have been too busy to post, but I have been enjoying lurking until now.

I was interviewed by Stu, the guy who wrote the recent Wall Street Journal article, but he didn't include me. I should have mentioned that I had written for Star Trek in the past and now I was riding a science fiction vehicle. I did give him my best self-deprecating line about the Segway's geek factor ("It's a total chick magnet...... Unfortunately it's set to repel, not to attract.") - he laughed out loud, but the WSJ is not exactly in the comedy biz. And as it turns out the line isn't really true.

So far reaction from co-workers and friends has been about 75-80% positive, but there have been some notable naysayers along the way (my favorite is the "it seems so lazy" criticism). One ride on the Segway usually blunts the criticism, though.

On the street, I get lots of dirty looks from older folks as I glide along, careful not to run anyone down (heck, I'm 50 - if I run into anything I'm as likely to break a hip as anyone...). But on the flip side, then someone will honk and give a thumbs up, or a kid will get wide-eyed and say "cool" the way only wide-eyed kids can - and then there's that really, really attractive woman that is always working in her yard when I glide home who says hi or stops me with a question or two about the Segway. Ah, if I were a younger man... but I digress.

Hope to have more stories to share in the future, but I am 14 hours into another 18 hour day and I should get back to helping my bosses sell the company so they can lay us all off. Not that I'm paranoid, mind you.

In the meantime, I have enjoyed reading many posts on these forums, and I particularly thanks the administrator and the longtime contributors whose input is always greatly appreciated.

Happy gliding, everyone!

pam
07-11-2008, 08:12 AM
Yes, and after anyone rides for a bit and realizes the muscles that do get used, all those lazy comments sort of fade away.:p

Welcome!!!

Pam

BarryT
07-11-2008, 03:33 PM
Don't worry about what anyone else thinks, smile n waive :).

By the way welcome to the club. You are about to embark on a journey. A journey of epic proportions and endless revolutions. A journey that makes Gumby look like an amateur. You have just entered....the gliding zone. [Que music].

bentbiker
07-11-2008, 03:55 PM
Since you put Glendale in the title of your post, I'd recommend you add it to your profile instead of just saying "LA area" -- lots better chance of neighboring riders to contact you re events etc.

mmedlock
07-11-2008, 05:42 PM
Since you put Glendale in the title of your post, I'd recommend you add it to your profile instead of just saying "LA area" -- lots better chance of neighboring riders to contact you re events etc.
John, you are wise beyond your years! Change made. Thanks.