PDA

View Full Version : What I've figured out since Wednesday

scotty1024
06-23-2008, 01:47 AM
Hello, I got my i2 with Cargo Kit on Wednesday June 18, 2008 from the Vespa Dealer in scenic downtown Seattle, WA. I had previously never seen, touched or ridden a Segway prior to that day.

I got the Segway because of my recent diagnosis with Congestive Heart Failure. They put in five eluting steents and we're waiting for those to finish eluting before I go back for a few more. In the mean time I have to take it easy on the ticker as it isn't happy about not being fully repaired.

Oh yeah, I'm also legally blind, so I can't use anything that requires a driver's license. At least not legally. :D

What I've learned so far to pass on to others.

If you plan on buying a Segway I highly recommend a Wii Fit. Daily, for two weeks. The dealer only had to spot me for the first mount. After that I was in command as my recently Wii Fit tuned up balance kicked in. On the second pass around the block I had my iphone out making phone calls with the right hand whilst holding on with the left (and the block was heavily sloped, slanted, angled and peopled).

The Segway is very useful for my blindness because I can focus on navigation and obstacle avoidance rather than where I'm putting my feet. The extra elevation gets me high enough to get the vague shadows and other visual cues earlier. And while no one respects a cane, people with normal vision see the Segway and scurry out of the way. And when they don't, I can ring the bell and cautiously move around them "Blind man, coming through, thank you ma'am or sir." :D

Helmet: Giro Atmos. Field tested already, worked great.

Rain gear: Arc'teryx Theta AR. Stylish, light weight, sheds water like Dolphin skin and breaths like a Nike DryFIT Golf shirt. The hood fits over the Atmos. Its made from Goretex Pro Hard Shell material which is designed to protect in extreme conditions like ice caves (sharp ice) and technical mountain climbing (sharp rocks). So far it's doing an adequate job protecting me (and my clothes) in the extreme sidewalks full of briars, bushes and tree limbs I've encountered so far. Yes, I was a bit confused to be encountering all of that but was sure I was on the sidewalk. The local municipalities are doing a miserable job at pruning back the sidewalks. Honest! :D

Gloves: Pearl Izumi Slice Gloves in Black Streak. Fingerless for GPS and Segway key control. The silcone grip pads work very well with the Segway grips. Water wicking has been excellent so far.

Oh yeah, this blind guy just carries his Segway key in a water proof jacket pocket. If you can't read it while clicked into the Segway, why risk leaving it behind? I mean once you turn the Segway on: its pretty much useless right?

Google Maps: satelite view is awesome for checking sidewalks, except when the trees get in the way...

GPS: Garmin 60CSx with City Street Maps loaded. When you run out of sidewalk on a street with a constant stream of cars doing 40 mph: its your best buddy. It knows foot ways, bike ways as well as street ways. Its weak on sidewalks but it gets me through so far. Huge letters work well for this legally blind person and it provides most of the data the Segway key does, only in huge letters and numbers. Comes with belt clip for easy access,

Commutes: 1 to Microsoft Park n' Ride to catch bus to/from work (not Microsoft)

Trips to Costco: 1 Thank goodness I bought the $20 Costco bungee kit which let me strap the over full cargo lids down! Talked to the store manager about adding a Segway docking area.

Number of potential customers talked to: lost count

Number of demos given (by me): lost count

Number of business cards Vespa Dealer gave me to hand out: 0

Number of bikers enocountered that turned green with envy: 2 They were both riding because gas was over $4 a gallon, wished they could have over filled cargo containers...

Back plants: 1 Unexpectedly running out of sidewalk at a bridge is rather alarming, especially when you're legally blind. :D

Motorists that stopped after back plant to offer help: 1

Best fix for pain in legs from standing on Segway: Cytomax

Miles on Segway: 52

A bit more about myself.

I have a 27 year background in Computer hardware and software engineering. Of particular note: I've designed and built several battery chargers for embedded battery packs (devices with built in rechargeable batteries/packs). I understand NiCd, NiMH and Li-ion Cobalt chemistry forwards and backwards.

Before the two battery experts already here get worried: I'm now an IT guy. No worries I'll be horning in on your rice bowls but I can certainly clear up a couple misconceptions about batteries I've seen here... and look forward to seeing what more I can learn from Valance about Lithium Iron Phosphate chemistry.

Gihgehls
06-23-2008, 10:10 AM
Welcome aboard! I look forward to seeing more posts from technically-minded folks.

Nelda
06-23-2008, 12:05 PM
Welcome,
Nice to have another Washingtonian on the boards.

Nelda

wwhopper
06-23-2008, 02:57 PM
Your going to find plenty of people on this site to talk techy Segway Stuff with!

Keep gliding, but not falling!

Check in with other users in your area, Nelda is sort of the mover and shaker out that way when it comes to your local Segway Enthusiast Group.

It is always fun to meet up with others who love and use the Segway!

Suzined
06-23-2008, 11:44 PM
Welcome aboard. Actually, we sort of identified Nelda as the Agent Provacateur

JohnM
06-24-2008, 09:22 AM
Number of bikers enocountered that turned green with envy: 2 They were both riding because gas was over $4 a gallon, wished they could have over filled cargo containers...

This one has me baffled. Wished they could have cargo containers over filled with what? Chocolate milk (http://blog.nutritiondata.com/ndblog/2007/09/chocolate-milk-.html)?

Welcome to SegChat.

pam
06-24-2008, 10:32 AM
Over-filled with anything they wanted to over-fill them with. Scotty had over-filled his just before meeting the bike riders.

Welcome, Scotty!

Where'd you get your Arc'teryx Theta AR? REI, by any chance?

Pam

JohnM
06-24-2008, 11:00 AM
Over-filled with anything they wanted to over-fill them with. Scotty had over-filled his just before meeting the bike riders.
So, that still leaves me wondering what had the cyclists green with envy.

scotty1024
06-24-2008, 11:01 AM
Thank you for your welcomes, and I do look forward to being able to meet some fellow Segway riders.

Yes I was on the way back from Costco with well stuffed cargo carriers. Everything is Costco sized after all. :)

The Arc'teryx Theta AR was indeed picked up from the Redmond REI. I rode down the Bel-Red Road grade on my Segway. Which helped reinforce the need for protection.

Last night I was scoping the path to downtown Bellevue down 8th. Oh my, my teeth are still chattering from the rough ride. At one point I even had to portage over a construction project that had apparently set off a bomb blowing up part of the sidewalk. The Segway wasn't happy about being led down into the blast crater and even less happy about climbing out the other side.

Are sidewalks this bad everywhere or am I just cursed living here in Bellevue/Seattle?

pam
06-24-2008, 11:03 AM
Well, either that they didn't have those wonderful givi cases, or they didn't have whatever it was in the givi cases.
Pam

JohnM
06-24-2008, 12:06 PM
Well, either that they didn't have those wonderful givi cases, or they didn't have whatever it was in the givi cases.

The givi cases? With the weight of the hard shell cases and the supportive hardware, plus the limited (30lb) carrying capacity, they are not likely to turn a cyclist green. Its got to be the overflowing contents. Joy? 30+ pounds of joy? Sounds suspicious. The mystery continues.

And chocolate milk (http://www.healthhype.com/low-fat-chocolate-milk-a-cost-effective-alternative-to-high-tech-sports-drinks.html) is a much better recovery drink than Cytomax. Tastier too.

scotty1024
06-24-2008, 08:52 PM
If you ever have Congestive Heart Failure you won't find Chocolate Milk as a menu item afterwards. Under those conditions you'll find Cytomax as being far superior.

The big bottle of cytomax fits nicely in the cargo carriers with no bungie required.

PeteInLongBeach
06-25-2008, 03:15 AM
The givi cases? With the weight of the hard shell cases and the supportive hardware, plus the limited (30lb) carrying capacity, they are not likely to turn a cyclist green.

How is the weight of bags, hardware or contents (which has exceeded 30 lbs in my own bags) an issue? The Segway and rider are virtually unaffected by it (other than the convenience of being able to haul stuff home from the store).

I'm not sure the same can be said for the cargo carrying capacity of a bicycle, and any related effects on riding dynamics and effort...

jimnbeck
06-29-2008, 02:27 PM
Looking ahead to my first Segway winter in the Northwest (written as we enjoy another 90+ degree day here in Vancouver). Well-outfitted by REI, with North Face pants, shell, gloves, I'm curious about a winter helmet. Wraparound motorcycle-style with shield vs. bicycle-style shell with Gore-Tex hood cinched tight. Pros? Cons? I imagine 12.5 mph rain in the eyes would be less-than-pleasant.

Cheers!

Jim