PDA

View Full Version : New Member

uplandhunter333
06-06-2008, 06:25 PM
Hi All: I am a new member and thinking very seriously about buying a Segway for my wife. She has several lung diseases that inhibits her ability to walk long distances and she is on oxygen 24/7 at this altitude (Denver). Monday we will go look at the new Segways at a dealer. I hope she will like using one and be able to go into the field hunting with me and my bird dogs. She has wanted to for several years but was not able to. I think we will buy a used one first to see if she can adjust to a Segway. I have ridden one recently but not certain she will like a Segway even though she is very interested.

Thanks,
uplandhunter333

cmonkey
06-06-2008, 09:54 PM
Somebody post pics of the camo-seg! :)

wwhopper
06-07-2008, 09:05 AM
But you do have a dealer in Boulder and I think at least one other place. Check out the dealer listing on Segway.com

In the mean time if you are thinking of using it in the wide open out doors, look for an XT or an X2, though I am going to tell you now, budget for buying 2!

Because once she has a Segway, she will be out rolling along going places you never thought she would and going faster than you can keep up with her on foot.

We see this with users who have mobility issues, they love using the Segway, it is really a liberating experience for them!

The key is to make sure she (and you too) get good training, because a fall early on can ruin it for you. In that first half hour you feel like it is effortless, but until you are really experienced at using it, take it easy.

NotQuiteCode3
06-07-2008, 06:52 PM
She can mount an O2 tank on a side mounted rack, if she needs to, or even take a small, portable tank and put it in her jacket pocket. Many people who need oxygen find relief when the wind blows in their faces. Maybe she won't need it all the time when she glides through the wilderness.

Please let us know how this works out. It would be wonderful for her to have that kind of freedom!

Lynn

Suzined
06-09-2008, 12:39 PM
I strongly urge the two of you to take a tour of a couple of hours before committing to a new or used purchase. It is extremely difficult to determine if a Seg is for you with just a couple of minutes in a parking lot. Get out and do a tour. After a couple of hours you will either decide it was a fun glide but not for you...or you'll start saving pennies big time. My guess is you'll blow off the pennies and start saving quarters.

cmonkey
06-09-2008, 07:38 PM
Found this picture from one of our fellow posters here, 'Zorba'

I get a kick out of this every time I see it:

http://www.villagephotos.com/viewpubimage.asp?id_=12971463&selected=

KSagal
06-09-2008, 07:50 PM
I 100% agree with the idea to take a tour, if at all possible.

Among other things, if you do not do this, you will get some initial training, but will have to encounter most things on your own, and that can be too much for some, whereas if you take a tour, (the longer the better, or a couple) then much of bad sidewalks, curbs, and many other things are encountered with a professional glider nearby to help you recall your training and answer new questions...

As far as hunting with the segs, they are great. Quiet, no smell, etc. And many people have hooked up trailers to haul out your venison.

Good luck, and have fun.

bentbiker
06-09-2008, 08:41 PM
I hope she will like using one and be able to go into the field hunting with me and my bird dogs. She has wanted to for several years but was not able to.
Only you know the type of terrain you typically hunt, but any upland hunting I've ever done has been over terrain that would be quite challenging for even the best riders, much less someone with health issues. As nice as it would be for her to share in this activity with you, I just can't imagine it. Even the off-road models are designed for trail riding and not rutted fields with hidden obstacles. You would also want to make sure that a motorized unit is allowed in the fields where you are hunting (by game laws).