PDA

View Full Version : Good Morning

wgsketch
05-13-2008, 12:34 PM
Good morning,
Thank you for accepting my application to your chat room on Segway chat website. I have had a
Segway since fall of 2006. I took delivery of the first I2 model sold in Tucson. I really love the machine, I think it's one of the best things that has come down the line in a long time. I will be 80 years old next Christmas, and it really helps me get around. I have trouble walking for any distance and this Segway really helps. I live in a gated community here in Tucson, Arizona. So I don't have to worry too much about traffic or any of the other stuff that goes with a lot of cars and people. I am having a problem right now for the first time in two years with the security people at this complex. The security chief says I am not allowed on the sidewalk, but Arizona law says I am. Who to believe, I don't know. However, I will continue to use my Segway until they drag me off to jail. Really. It's a great piece of equipment, and I enjoy it very much. Even with this obstacle. Thanks again.
Walter

Aignera
05-15-2008, 11:49 AM
http://www.ghsa.org/html/stateinfo/bystate/az.html

Hope this Helps . .
Permitted on Roads? . . Yes, if no sidewalks avail.

I'm curious how your Batteries are taking the Heat ?
I Haven't bought a Segway yet , Not sure the batteries will last through the summer heat here in Phoenix .

dgbint
05-15-2008, 07:28 PM
Some people in uniform seem to display unusual behaviour.

I suggest that you enquire as politely as possible, which rules or laws he thinks that you are violating ?
Smile and ask for a written response ( this usually encourages deeper thought ).

With his 'objections' in hand, you can then properly address his concerns.
People here will assist you.

Good Luck

Michael

NotQuiteCode3
05-17-2008, 09:47 PM
Walter, this is an issue about the quality of your life. I agree with the other posters. Sometimes people don't understand how it's possible to be in control of such a contraption as a Segway, and they don't want to deal with it. It takes some educating.

Hang in there! Your ability to get around is worth the effort.

Good luck!

Lynn

wgsketch
05-20-2008, 12:19 PM
Good morning thanks for your reply to my opening message. I am still using the original batteries in my Segway and as yet have had no problems with the heat here in Tucson. I know it is slightly hotter in Phoenix and here, but it should pose no problem.
Walter

wgsketch
05-20-2008, 12:30 PM
By carrying a copy of the revised statutes of the laws of Arizona for the use of a Segway with me at all times I am ready for any conflict with a peace officer who doesn't know what the laws are.
Hopefully this will avoid any conflict with the powers to be. But the last time I was stopped by a security guard. She refused to even look at these. Saying those laws do not apply here. (I couldn't believe it) This is what I'm up against I will keep you posted as to any further occurrences in this soap opera.
Walter

pspearing
05-20-2008, 01:00 PM
I have worked in security, and I think the question of whose rules apply comes down to whose street/sidewalk it is. If it's a city sidewalk and street then state & local laws should apply. If the streets and sidewalks are owned & maintained by the complex they can probably make any rules they want.
As I say, I'm not a lawyer and I don't live where you do, so my opinion is just an opinion with no actual value. I would suggest you consult a lawyer familiar with landlord/tenant issues.

Good luck!

Suzined
05-26-2008, 12:20 AM
I think you might want to speak to the manager oif the apartment complex. They are most assuredly subject to the ADA since they are operating a public facility in the highly regulated housing environment. The stance of the rent-a-cop is ignorant but be careful of ignorant people with a little power.

Be polite, offer management a demo, and point out the Segway is your wheelchair. If all else fails, contact your local newspaper to "inspire" a human interest story on how the Segway has contributed to your life. (And don't even mention the officious rent-a-cop.) Do the PR Lounge act: visit with your city council, mayor, police chief, senior center, and sheriff and while you're at it, put in a plug for Segs4Vets.

Welcome aboard!