PDA

View Full Version : Hoping for a Segway

NotQuiteCode3
05-09-2008, 11:43 AM
I live on the former Fort Ord, where I also work as an Office Manger. Part of the Fort is a university now, and I work in the department that plans and builds the campus.

I drive just under 3 miles to work. There is a bike lane all the way, and no traffic signals. Could there be a better Segway opportunity than that? As I drive to work I see myself in the bike lane, gliding. Then I see those mysterious dirt roads that go off through the oak trees into the wilderness areas and wonder what sights I would see if I left the bike lane.

My husband was not happy when I told him I would like to have a Segway. He thinks I would be safer inside a car than flying through the air standing on two wheels holding nothing but a stick.

I've booked us for the Sonoma, CA Segway tour next week. I'm hoping that the experience might win him over. I would LOVE to come home with TWO Segways, a real possibility since there is a dealership in Oakland! Woo-hoo!

Lynn

bmaphies
05-09-2008, 05:24 PM
Get your husband on that test glide and he'll most likely be hooked. A Segway is as safe as a bicycle (my opinion), just wear a helmet and get some clip-on blinking lights for your rear end.

Five-Flags
05-09-2008, 05:46 PM
Over in this neck of the woods (what woods?), a Code 3 is a cardiac arrest!

Of course if hubby says "No", HE might be in peril!!:eek::eek::eek::D

jrwilcox
05-09-2008, 06:09 PM
There is also a dealer in Pacifica. It is misnamed Segway of SF.

Jim

jgbackes
05-09-2008, 06:14 PM
And you are welcome to come up to Ponderosa park on the 18th to watch segway polo. We always have extra Segways.

Map to Ponderosa Park (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=7501095703801628654,37.361988,-122.009580&saddr=Monterey+CA&daddr=Ponderosa+Ave+%4037.361988,+-122.009580&mra=pe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=16&sll=37.361971,-122.009633&sspn=0.011222,0.026779&ie=UTF8&z=9)

quade
05-09-2008, 11:25 PM
Welcome to the world of Segway.

Commuting by Segway, even just 3 miles and even if it's a perfect bike path, does require a certain commitment beyond just a car. It can be; hot, cold, rainy or dark. I'm not trying to bring you down, just remind you of how completely different the experience will be.

It can also be quite wonderful.

Yesterday I was riding along a bike trail that runs along a river near my house that runs to the beach. The wind was a little bit "up" and two red tailed hawks were getting some slope soaring off the embankment. As I got closer they noticed me and paced me, side-by-side for about 1/4 a mile, staying maybe just 20 or 30 feet away the whole time. That was kinda magical.

jrwilcox
05-10-2008, 10:30 AM
I have been commuting for a couple of months now 7.2 miles one way. It will take a major commitment to make the change, but it is worth it. Every time I see a deer, or a coyote, or listen to the birds on the way in makes it worth the trip. It does get chilly sometimes. It is often below 40 when I leave. Over by Fort Ord, I suspect there will be lots of chilly mornings, but with a good jacket and gloves, I bet it would be much more relaxing than driving.

NotQuiteCode3
05-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Five-Flags: In this neck of the woods, Code 3 simply means any emergency call requiring lights and sirens. I had my Code 3 days as a firefighter (I'm small, so I just worked brush fires), then as an Emergency Medical Technician, then a 9-1-1 dispatcher. These days I'm very content to move at not quite code 3 urgency.

Thanks for the response to my post! It's good to hear from you!

NotQuiteCode3
05-10-2008, 11:23 AM
Get your husband on that test glide and he'll most likely be hooked. A Segway is as safe as a bicycle (my opinion), just wear a helmet and get some clip-on blinking lights for your rear end.

Thanks for the tips! I hope you're right about the test glide!

Lynn

NotQuiteCode3
05-10-2008, 11:25 AM
There is also a dealer in Pacifica. It is misnamed Segway of SF.

Jim

Jim, By golly, you're right! It's right on the way home from the tour, too!

Thank you!

Lynn

NotQuiteCode3
05-10-2008, 11:27 AM
And you are welcome to come up to Ponderosa park on the 18th to watch segway polo. We always have extra Segways.

Map to Ponderosa Park (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=7501095703801628654,37.361988,-122.009580&saddr=Monterey+CA&daddr=Ponderosa+Ave+%4037.361988,+-122.009580&mra=pe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=16&sll=37.361971,-122.009633&sspn=0.011222,0.026779&ie=UTF8&z=9)

Jeff, Sweet! Thank you for your kind invitation. It sounds like fun!

Lynn

NotQuiteCode3
05-10-2008, 11:35 AM
Welcome to the world of Segway.

Commuting by Segway, even just 3 miles and even if it's a perfect bike path, does require a certain commitment beyond just a car. It can be; hot, cold, rainy or dark. I'm not trying to bring you down, just remind you of how completely different the experience will be.

It can also be quite wonderful.

Yesterday I was riding along a bike trail that runs along a river near my house that runs to the beach. The wind was a little bit "up" and two red tailed hawks were getting some slope soaring off the embankment. As I got closer they noticed me and paced me, side-by-side for about 1/4 a mile, staying maybe just 20 or 30 feet away the whole time. That was kinda magical.

Quade,

You've presented the pros and cons beautifully. You're right about the weather. It's cool and foggy here much of the time, especially in the mornings. Sometimes the fog is wet enough to mist up a person's glasses. I'll have to figure out what gear I need to stave off such things. The wildlife here is amazing, too. It would be nice to get a closer, slower look.

I used to work in Santa Ana at Equitable Life!

Lynn

NotQuiteCode3
05-10-2008, 11:39 AM
I have been commuting for a couple of months now 7.2 miles one way. It will take a major commitment to make the change, but it is worth it. Every time I see a deer, or a coyote, or listen to the birds on the way in makes it worth the trip. It does get chilly sometimes. It is often below 40 when I leave. Over by Fort Ord, I suspect there will be lots of chilly mornings, but with a good jacket and gloves, I bet it would be much more relaxing than driving.

JR, I'm looking forward to making this commitment, but I'm not going to get rid of my car. Some days I expect to opt to take the car, but I hope to keep that to a minimum.

I appreciate your encouragement!

Lynn

LibertySegway
05-10-2008, 11:52 PM
Monterey is a great place to glide. Me and my sons did a nice glide on the 17 mile drive a couple of weekends ago. Saw lots of deer along with seals and plenty of birds. As recommended a jacket is a requirement on most days. You may also want something to protect your ears for the wind. Helmets alone tend to leave'em too exposed.

As for safety I ride a bike and Segway and IMO the Segway is far less likely to take a spill. Bike riding feels like you are always close to crashing while gliding feels like second nature. Much more relaxing. Its like hoovering effortlessly along.

I'll second the invite to come check out the polo group. Many gliders there are more than happy to give you a "free ride".

Segway owners are just that kinda people. :p

DaveA
05-11-2008, 10:40 AM
(Mods: probably should move this thread to general discussion?)

I commute to work and back, twice daily, not quite 2 miles each way. Call it 7 miles total. Been doing this for about 15 months with 2900 miles on the odo.

Location: Orlando area, where temperatures mostly range from mid-90s (F) to mid-30s. Lots more of the former than the latter. Rain is an occasional issue, but for the most part I can wait 20 minutes and the weather will change. I've rarely had to abandon the Segway for my Volvo.

Once or twice rain has trapped me at work; I just get the missus to come rescue me.

I haul out a light windbreaker at about 60F, break out my gloves at about 50F, and bundle the heck up below 40F. We Florida folks don't like cold! Other stalwarts on SC can give you advice for riding below 35F. My own blood would jellify, so I defer to their judgment (or lack thereof).

Riding around at 95F for a couple of hours can be like standing in front of a blow dryer. Keep a bottle of water in your handlebar bag (which equipment, BTW, shouldn't be considered optional).

A ski cap and gloves don't take up much space in that bag, so pack 'em when it's late in the year. Your fingers and ears will thank you.

You MUST have a light if you're traveling in darkness (as much to be seen as to see). My first few falls was because I was stupidly riding in conditions where I couldn't see. You can either spend big money on a rechargeable gajillion candlepower handlebar lamp, or you can spend eight bucks in Home Depot for a three watt LED flashlight that you can tether to your handlebar bag and stow in the side pocket.

Pack spare batteries in that bag (there's that bag thing again) for your light and for your infokey.

Every right-hand-turn driver, without exception, is trying to kill you. Never cross in front of one unless you've established eye contact first, whether they've stopped or not. They are looking left for oncoming traffic, not right.

Stay on the sidewalks if you're at speed, and slow way the heck down if you have to drive on the grass. There are mud puddles buried in the grass that you can't see until you're right there, and your upright position depends on the Segway being able to maintain traction. Don't bump into poles or walls or curbs.

I still haven't bought a helmet -- not too bright of me, and I can only say that it's good that I've already lived long enough to reproduce. You would not want to "plant a facer" at 12.5 mph without one. There's been lots of helmet discussion on SC, and the prevailing wisdom seems to hold that "skate" style helmets are best since they protect the back of your head.

A pair of wraparound sunglasses is good. We've got lots of bugs here, and a dragonfly smacking your face at 10 mph is irritating.

I guess your husband distrusts the Segway because it looks unstable. My i2 is a superbly engineered piece of equipment, and I admire the people who built it. It is effortlessly simple to operate, yet under the skin it is rather complex -- computers, accelerometers, sensors, motors, all redundant. The machine will not let you fall forward or backward. Do drive conservatively; your greatest liability is your overconfidence. Really, it takes two minutes to learn to drive a Segway around, but it takes much longer -- weeks -- to learn your limitations. I tell new riders that they aren't as good as they think they are. Skid on the ice and you're going down. Smack a curb and you're going down. Bump into that golden retriever that darted out and you're going down. But stay alert, watch the environment, and slow down when appropriate... and you'll do okay.

NotQuiteCode3
05-11-2008, 01:56 PM
LS & Dave, I'm ashamed to say that I've never been able to master the bicycle. People keep wanting to teach me, but I've learned to live with that shortcoming.

Dave, I can't tell you how much I appreciate your practical lessons on being properly prepared when using a Segway. I'm going to print that page and keep it for when I finally get one of those lovely contraptions!

LS, you are so right about Segway people! What a great bunch you are!

Lynn

IRASegyRider2
05-14-2008, 11:42 AM
This is like a small serial novel and I want to know the outcome! Your introductory ride should be happening soon. What day? I'll be checking back to see...

Good luck!
:cool:

nukeeberry
05-14-2008, 03:08 PM
Yo Lynn,
Take the tour & I,ll bet you,ll get a segway
Enjoy.

NUKEEBERRY

I live on the former Fort Ord, where I also work as an Office Manger. Part of the Fort is a university now, and I work in the department that plans and builds the campus.

I drive just under 3 miles to work. There is a bike lane all the way, and no traffic signals. Could there be a better Segway opportunity than that? As I drive to work I see myself in the bike lane, gliding. Then I see those mysterious dirt roads that go off through the oak trees into the wilderness areas and wonder what sights I would see if I left the bike lane.

My husband was not happy when I told him I would like to have a Segway. He thinks I would be safer inside a car than flying through the air standing on two wheels holding nothing but a stick.

I've booked us for the Sonoma, CA Segway tour next week. I'm hoping that the experience might win him over. I would LOVE to come home with TWO Segways, a real possibility since there is a dealership in Oakland! Woo-hoo!

Lynn[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

NotQuiteCode3
05-14-2008, 07:41 PM
My Sonoma tour was yesterday. It was unbelievable!

I could smell everything that was blooming (even if I couldn't see it), I could see teeny-tiny grape bunches just forming on the vines, I heard hundreds and hundreds of birds! The breeze wasn't just in my face, it was truly an interactive relationship with the air - it was a friendly force I was moving through. Back in the car all those things were hidden!

I even enjoyed bouncing over the pot holes and speed bumps!

We both took to the Segway almost instantly. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and would do it again in a second.

Sonoma is jaw-dropping gorgeous. It has a small town atmosphere. People smiled and said 'good morning' as we passed. The tour guide is attentive, entertaining, and knowledgable. The locals know and respect him.

I'm hooked!

Lynn

pam
05-14-2008, 09:43 PM
Oh, yes, you've found some of the things I so love about Segging - the ability to smell things you miss in the car. Gliding through pockets of air at different temperatures - (you aren't aware of it when you're walking) - the smiles and conversations of the people you pass, the absolutely gorgeous different shades of green in all the foliage - yep, you've found it!

Pam