SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 04-19-2004, 03:25 PM   #1
dupa
dupa

5 yr Member
Default Layoffs at DEKA

About a month ago, DEKA(also known as The Kamen Institute of Life Enhancement) laid off 10% of its' workforce. I would conclude that the dismal performance of Segway might be factor in this unfortunate happening. One might also conclude that a change in fortune at Segway would help this situation. From the limited reading I've done here, it's easy to see that there couldn't be a more enthusiastic group of people out there promoting Segway. Obviously, it's not enough. As many have pointed out, Segway marketing(or lack there of) is a disaster. What is the quickest way to turn things around?
dupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 03:52 PM   #2
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Gads, such doom and gloom. I think we assume too much when we assume that employment at DEKA has anything to do with Dean's Segway venture. They're two separate organizations. And I also think it's presumptous to assume that the Segeay marketing is a cause for any of this, or that it's even a disaster. This can be your opinion, but it certainly is not mine. Personally I think Segway is still finding it's niche, and however long that takes, I think that's fine. I wouldn't presume to tell them how to "turn it around" because they now have experts available to do that - and they may not even be concerned with "turning it around" because they may well be happy with where it is at this point in the marketplace.
Pam
pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 04:04 PM   #3
BruceWright
Advanced Member
BruceWright is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Since DEKA is funded out of Dean's pocket, and his pocket has taken quite a hit, I think we can say that yes, this is as a result of Segway, somewhat.

-Bruce Wright

Segway: Vehicle of Dream
BruceWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 04:20 PM   #4
terryp
terryp has a spectacular aura aboutterryp has a spectacular aura about

Considering that they set up their factory to turn out 40,000 HTs per month, it's hard to imagine that they're happy/not concerned with sales over a year later. What have the 'experts' done so far?

Practicing safe Segs in Seattle
terryp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 04:29 PM   #5
mattk
mattk is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

2 of my friend's parents got the boot. One was a software engineer and another a math-type engineer.

They both got new jobs almost instantly... yet it kinda sucks when you think you have great job security and as you are leaving one day you find out you shouldnt come back the next.
mattk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 04:46 PM   #6
SegwayUtah
Advanced Member
SegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really nice

I'm not a big fan of analyzing private companies. People keep their companies private because, well, they want them to be private

That said, DEKA is a research and development company. I imagine that their workload fluctuates from time to time. "Code Name Ginger," indicated that Dean Kamen considers employees like family. Appropriately, I don't know that DEKA has ever let people go for cost-cutting reasons, although I also don't know if a company can do that forever.

Anyway, it sounds like a great company to work for in many ways: super-sharp people with vision, etc.

Chris
SegwayUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 05:27 PM   #7
ElectraGlide
ElectraGlide

5 yr Member

It's one thing to be optimistic......it's another to be realistic. Or like myself, who is a pessimist about this story...( and a pessimist is an optimist with experience! ). Low numbers are not good. No manufacturer in the world would be happy with 6-7k units per year when a factory is built expecting 40k or more a month. The suppliers of batteries, wheels, fenders, etc sign contracts to supply a certain number of items at a certain price......well, if the volume is lower, then I imagine contracts need to be re-written and costs rise . Toss into this equation zero advertising, a recall PR blunder, and you all can figure out "the rest of the story".
I'll be buying another "p" model within the next couple weeks...I hope it helps someone keep their job a bit longer.
It's so simple.....they need to sell more machines....it's time for them to remove their own obstacles.

Steve
ElectraGlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 05:45 PM   #8
mrleisure
mrleisure

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dupa

As many have pointed out, Segway marketing(or lack there of) is a disaster. What is the quickest way to turn things around?
I'm still trying to figure out why anyone really cares. Truly, I'm stumped. Can anyone explain to me this un-natural fascination with Segway 's business affairs?

Maybe Dean should flake off and start a religious cult. "Seganetics" or maybe "DEKAtology" or something. I have a spooky feeling there would be people lining up to carry out his bidding with nary a skeptical thought. "Yea- I rode a Segway and it cleared up my skin rash and anxiety condition, Thank you L. Dean Kamen"

"In the future, we will all drive standing up"
David Byrne, in 1984
mrleisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 05:53 PM   #9
BruceWright
Advanced Member
BruceWright is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Why do people care, Mrlesure?

I think a lot of the appeal for early Segway adopters was that they were the vanguard of a changed world.

It's very hard to continue to change the world if the company goes out of business.

Sure, we'll still have our Segways. But they'll be merely curiosities.

Either way, I'm satisfied. I love my Segway, and it's kind of cool that it's so rare.

But I wouldn't want them to fail. I want them to succeed.

-Bruce Wright

Segway: Vehicle of Dream
BruceWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 05:58 PM   #10
Entil-Zha
Entil-Zha

5 yr Member

Thanks mrleisure:

Your reply did make me laugh. I knew there had to be something entertaining in this thread.
Entil-Zha is offline   Reply With Quote