SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:08 PM   #1
fredkap
fredkap will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default ADA now covers the use of Segways

The Americans with Disabilities Act as of today covers the disabled use of Segways!

http://www.ada.gov/regs2010/factsheets/title3_factsheet.html

Paragraph 6
fredkap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:33 PM   #2
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Great news. This will help a large number of people.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:08 PM   #3
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
Great news. This will help a large number of people.
We hope! I have to admit that the last year and a half have made me very skeptical about the willingness of some to do anything they really don't want to or think they don't absolutely have to...

Scroll down to see my earlier post on this http://forums.segwaychat.com/showthread.php?t=24654

Lily
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:44 PM   #4
fredkap
fredkap will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default Lily's thread

Sorry Lily, I didn't see your post. Thanks for a great post!
fredkap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:20 PM   #5
IcanGlide
IcanGlide is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

That is FANTASTIC!!! Thanks DRAFT for all the work you did on this.

Frank
Old 07-29-2010, 12:17 AM   #6
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcanGlide View Post

Frank
Thank you Frank as it was people like you and all those with mobility disabilities that use a Segway that helped make this happen.

From those who depend on their Segways to all who took the time to let the DOJ know how they felt about our cause, we say THANK YOU !

Your comments were of great impotence in this decision .

There is power in numbers if we remain unified in our beliefs .

From all at DRAFT we thank all of you.

Be Big,
AMAC

Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:23 AM   #7
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default More musings on this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcanGlide View Post

Frank
I'll second that motion! None of us could have accomplished this alone or without leadership.

http://www.ada.gov/regs2010/factshee...factsheet.html
http://www.ada.gov/regs2010/ADAregs2010.htm
http://www.ada.gov/regs2010/titleII_2010/reg2_2010.html

I think the fact that wheelchairs and other mobility devices have been assured pedestrian access is an enormous victory. (Of course many state EPAMD laws already classify Segway users under pedestrian law, but it is not always taken seriously by authorities if they are even aware of such a thing.)

I think the two tier classification was necessary as new technology develops new possibilities and until those new devices have been accepted as viable wheelchair alternatives. (As Segway users we have the time and use advantage there.)

I think it was also was necessary in order to be fair both to businesses and the disabled. To take an extreme example, suppose someone is using a tractor to get around his farm and then decides to use it as his mobility device in a city park. Being required to allow that would be carrying pedestrian access beyond the reasonable.

I believe that allowing authorities to ask for a disability ID for those who use other mobility devices is also a fair and necessary step especially when, like the Segway, those devices can also be used for recreational or other purposes. I'm glad they added the personal observation option for those who do not have such ID--or don't have it with them. If your disability is not a visible one, however, carry that ID in your bag!

But let's do a reality check. I think it is critical for us as the disabled to be aware that the rules do NOT say that they can require this ID in order to get that pedestrian access, but, as I read it, only that they can ask for it if they wish to question our eligibility to claim that we are using something as a mobility device. I feel pretty certain that this will become an issue at some point with some authority who wants to regulate the use of other mobility devices.....

I also feel certain that this other mobility device classification is going to open a whole can of worms because the paragraphs added do not clearly specify that they can't impose as much regulation ( permits, a la the Missouri Department of Conservation or registration and waivers, a la Simon Malls) or anything else to make that mandated access as difficult as possible. Such entities have been ignoring the equal access and nondiscrimination requirements up to this point and I doubt if this will deter them in the future.

As big a victory as this is, I don't think the battle is over and the need for education has simply increased... We all bear the responsibility at that point.

I'm sorry to add a note of gloom to the celebration. I've been battling the MO Department of Conservation for a year and a half on this with still no satisfactory resolution. The Interior Department when they investigated my complaint that I had been denied physical access, held that the MDC permit system was a reasonable solution. I have also filed a new ADA complaint based on the unreasonable provisions of the new revised permit policy the MDC put in place immediately after that decision, but who know what will happen with that when the new rules go into effect. I do know that I will NOT accept the MO Human Rights Commission as a mediating body! but that is another story....

I finally decided to work within the new MDC rules that require any disabled person to get a separate permit to use a Segway at any MDC property. I have requested special use permits for (evil grin) all 800+ of their properties. (They made the rule. I am just doing what it requires.) The required 30 day waiting period has passed--and I have no permits. I did get an indication that they might grant a permit just for those sites that are officially designated Disabled Accessible, but these new rules on pedestrian access will give me ammunition there.

I've offered a compromise but their response to that too will probably drag on until the new year. At least they are now on notice that they will have to adjust to new regulations... Since they have already offered me a permit that didn't restrict the use of a Segway beyond normal safety and courtesy that would be expected of any wheelchair user, they can't use the excuse that its use is not feasible or safe or is disruptive.

We shall see what we shall see.... Lord, grant me patience--right now!

Lily

Last edited by Lily Kerns; 07-29-2010 at 06:06 AM..
Old 07-29-2010, 07:57 PM   #8
Lily Kerns

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

This site now has links to the full new text of the 2010 ADA regulations for both Title II and Title III. The new parts are in bold type to make it easier to find the changes...

http://www.ada.gov/regs2010/ADAregs2010.htm

Lily
Old 07-30-2010, 03:38 AM   #9
MowTin
MowTin is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Does this mean a disabled person can use a Segway anywhere a wheelchair is allowed? What about Disney?
MowTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:35 AM   #10
Lily Kerns

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin View Post
Does this mean a disabled person can use a Segway anywhere a wheelchair is allowed? What about Disney?
Exactly! And wheel chairs are to be permitted anywhere that a pedestrian has access.

I'm am rapidly coming to the conclusion is that the only thing that has really happened is that Segways are now mentioned in the ADA rules... That is a start but I'm betting that it is going to take lawsuits to establish what "equal" and "no discrimination" really mean...

Call me Gloomy Gus... or a realist?

Lily