SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Ratings and Reviews > Accessories for Your Segway

Notices

Accessories for Your Segway Rate and review various accessories available for your Segway.

Comment

Review Tools Display Modes
SegVator - Lift
SegVator - Lift
Published by OregonForester
05-26-2009
Author rating
Work as described?
100%100%100%
Enhances Segway experience?
100%100%100%
Shipping and instructions
100%100%100%
Recommend to a friend?
100%100%100%
Average 100%
Default SegVator - Lift

I was surprised to not see anything here on the SegVator...it must have scrolled off.

We've owned our SegVator for several months now, but the weather here in the Northwest has not exactly been "Segging Friendly".
This last weekend, my bride and I were able to take a drive of 600 miles with our SegVator firmly attached to our rig.

First, I must say that the quality of the SegVator absolutely matches the Segs themselves, and that we are easily able to attach (and disconnect) the SegVator to the receiver hitch of our rig.

We made 4 stops on the way, and 5 on the way back where we effortlessly unloaded, "glided", and then loaded the Segs. What a great experience! Rather than muscle the Segs in and out of the rig, simply pressing a toggle switch did it all! It is so easy that our 9 year old grandaughter can unload the Seg, glide, and then load it back onto the rig!

We have nothing but praise here for our SegVator, and absolutely reccomend it to all.
Member rating
Work as described?
95%95%95%
100%100%100%
80%80%80%
Recommend to a friend?
100%100%100%
4 users rated 94% average

Review Tools

Latest 5 reviews
By Bob.Kerns on 05-28-2009, 01:52 AM
Member reviews
Work as described?
100%100%100%
100%100%100%
100%100%100%
Recommend to a friend?
100%100%100%
Average 100%

Great device. A few comments:

1) Be sure to ask for the inverter option, if you want that. I did, but initially didn't get it, and it's not something that can be added on later. I was able to swap the entire main unit and get one, but it was a pain that could have been avoided if the choice were better communicated on the web site. I really like the ability to extend my range and top it up while driving.

2) Good, clear instructions, otherwise!

3) I have a bit of problem, if I raise mine all the way without my Seg, with it sticking in the up position. Be sure to carry the tool to unjam it, in case you forget. Very minor issue. I suspect it will disappear with wear...

4) A weld on my receiver hitch failed, letting my Segway down to drag on the freeway. Damage? The trailing edge of my Segvator is a bit sharper than when it was new. It held on and kept my Segway safe.

5) On some vehicles you may have to be careful about dips and such -- try not to let both rear wheels drop into the same dip at the same time.

6) The light doesn't really add much value, because its positioned so to not shine so much where the Segway goes. It's a low-tech small incadescant light. A bit of room for minor improvement there. I use my helmet light for illumination, so no problem

7) Make sure your gen 2 is OFF before you lift. If you misfire and only take it out of RBM, or if you accidentally bump the infokey button and power it up, the Segvator and Segway will have an interesting little battle. Calm will be restored when you lower it enough to release the rider detect switches. Neither will be the worse for their little spat.

Very well put together, thought out, and very convenient. I really, really, really missed it while my receiver hitch was being repaired.
By OregonForester on 05-28-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.Kerns View Post
Great device. A few comments:

1) Be sure to ask for the inverter option, if you want that. I did, but initially didn't get it, and it's not something that can be added on later. I was able to swap the entire main unit and get one, but it was a pain that could have been avoided if the choice were better communicated on the web site. I really like the ability to extend my range and top it up while driving.

2) Good, clear instructions, otherwise!

3) I have a bit of problem, if I raise mine all the way without my Seg, with it sticking in the up position. Be sure to carry the tool to unjam it, in case you forget. Very minor issue. I suspect it will disappear with wear...

4) A weld on my receiver hitch failed, letting my Segway down to drag on the freeway. Damage? The trailing edge of my Segvator is a bit sharper than when it was new. It held on and kept my Segway safe.

5) On some vehicles you may have to be careful about dips and such -- try not to let both rear wheels drop into the same dip at the same time.

6) The light doesn't really add much value, because its positioned so to not shine so much where the Segway goes. It's a low-tech small incadescant light. A bit of room for minor improvement there. I use my helmet light for illumination, so no problem

7) Make sure your gen 2 is OFF before you lift. If you misfire and only take it out of RBM, or if you accidentally bump the infokey button and power it up, the Segvator and Segway will have an interesting little battle. Calm will be restored when you lower it enough to release the rider detect switches. Neither will be the worse for their little spat.

Very well put together, thought out, and very convenient. I really, really, really missed it while my receiver hitch was being repaired.
Another quality post Bob, thank you.
I did order the inverter, and although I cannot remember for certain, I do believe that it was from good advice I had received from one of your earlier posts. In my opinion, the inverter is a neccesity.
Your reason #7 absolutely made my eyes pop open! I read a post some time ago about someone that loaded a Seg in the back of the rig and arrived at his destination, only to find that the InfoKey had fallen off, so I have always been absolutely anal about removing the InfoKeys before travelling, but I certainly never gave it a thought that the arms on the SegVator would press on the rider detect switches!
As for dragging the SegVator through ditches or berms, I too suspect that that could very well be a problem, and it's good advice to pass along, even though I was able to adjust my SegVator so that when raised and it actually sits higher than the top of my rear bumper. Good advice, still.
By footloose on 06-30-2009, 01:27 AM
Member reviews
Work as described?
80%80%80%
100%100%100%
100%100%100%
Recommend to a friend?
100%100%100%
Average 95%
Default SegVator doubles pleasure for fraction of Segway price

Rolling our Segways up and down the ramp got old after a while. The SegVator makes it so easy to decide to ride our Segways that we just simply ride them a lot more often.

The SegVator is well-designed and well-made. We experienced two minor sticking points: The first was a literal sticking point: The paint is so thick that it increases the size of the hitch enough that it's hard to slide it into the receiver, so much so that I had to sand it. It is likewise hard to connect the lift itself to the hitch for the same reason.

The second problem was not really the SegVator's at all: We got the dual-lift version, so we can haul both our Segways. The two Segways were heavy enough that our Camry sank down around five inches in the back. This was enough that the trailer hitch and the SegVator would hit bottom on speed bumps and steep driveways. The SegVator people made up a special, tall hitch onto which I connect the lift. Problem solved. If you run into this problem, go directly to that solution: I wasted a lot of money getting "heavy duty" struts for the Camry which had absolutely no effect. (There's no problem when carrying just one Segway, only when carrying two.)

The device is well-constructed and can take a beating, as my wife found out when she backed our car into a thick wooden post. The Segways rode up out of the way, and about five minutes with a sledge hammer returned the Segvator to its original shape. (The post did not fare nearly as well.) We've had the device for more than a year now, and it has been out in every kind of weather with no problems whatsoever. It is built to last.
By rwoynaro on 07-25-2010, 05:29 PM
Default No power to my SegVator ?

Hi Folks:
Just un-boxxed my SegVator and am having a problem, so I thought I would ask for help. I have the single Seg one. I have a 7 pin RV connector that a local trailer place installed for me, I currently have a 4 pin one that I tow a utility trailer with. I have never used the 7 pin RV connector yet, I got it just for the SegVator.

When I plugged in the SegVator, I get no movement up/down and no lights. I took a meter and am not getting any DC readings from any of the 7 pins on the 7 pin connector. I did try the SegVator with the car running and the lights on also. Does the car have to be running to see any voltage on the 7 pin connector or should you have that anytime ? Maybe I am not seating the SegVator plug fully enough ? Is there any other swiches that need to be turned prior to the SegVator running ? I saw an in-line fuse on the SegVator cable and it has continuity, so its not that... If any SegVator owners read this, can you confirm if you can run the SegVator without the car running, is the standard 7 pin connector REALLY hard to seat the first time, is there anything else I should check ? I can go back to the trailer place, but wanted to try everything easy first. Thanks folks.
By OregonForester on 07-26-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwoynaro View Post
Hi Folks:

When I plugged in the SegVator, I get no movement up/down and no lights. I took a meter and am not getting any DC readings from any of the 7 pins on the 7 pin connector. I did try the SegVator with the car running and the lights on also. Does the car have to be running to see any voltage on the 7 pin connector or should you have that anytime ? Maybe I am not seating the SegVator plug fully enough ? Is there any other swiches that need to be turned prior to the SegVator running ? I saw an in-line fuse on the SegVator cable and it has continuity, so its not that... If any SegVator owners read this, can you confirm if you can run the SegVator without the car running, is the standard 7 pin connector REALLY hard to seat the first time, is there anything else I should check ? I can go back to the trailer place, but wanted to try everything easy first. Thanks folks.
That's your problem, exactly. When I hooked mine up to my F150, I had the same problem, even though it was a factory plug. It seems that although Ford has a "hot" lead leading to the plug, there is a relay that needs to be installed in the fuse block under the dash before it is actually "hot". Although Ford thoughtfully includes the relay, it is in a ziplock bag in the glove compartment!
You should have one pin that is hot whenever the key is on (I'm sorry but I cannot recall which one.) That is so you can operate the lift, but when you go into the store someone cannot operate it! There is another pin that should be hot only when your lights are on. That works so that the inverter only runs then.

Actually, you should repost this in the other Forum, and I suspect that you will receive lots of responses from those that know more than I...they should also be able to tell you which pins should be hot, and when.

You'll love your Segvator, btw. It makes your life a lot simpler.
By Notasperfectasyou on 02-09-2012, 01:30 AM

Does anyone have a phone number for Segvator? It's not on their website and sending them e-mail does not result in a reply. Ken
By birfbrain on 06-07-2012, 06:12 PM
Default SegVator Seat and Lift

Would someone kindly post the retail pricing for the SegVator tall seat and for the Lift device?...I want one of each but have no idea if I can afford them or not. SegVator's Web site leaves alot to be desired. Thanks I'm more interested in the cost for the taller seating platform.
By miiseg on 06-20-2012, 12:37 PM

That's the first I've heard of a SegVater, I just had to look it up! Can't wait to get my Segway now!
By dblair on 09-19-2012, 03:30 PM

I'm currently wiring my Element to use my Segvator. I have a dual kit on order for it and on the whole it seems to be very well designed and built.

The one thing I find questionable is the attachment of the Inverter and it's box. Two screws at the top and the bottom seems to flop back and forth at will. The box also doesn't seem too waterproof. I've been considering moving the Inverter to the inside of the Element and just running power cords from it to the Segways. Can anyone with a lot of miles with the SegVator comment?
Comment