SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > New Member Introductions

Notices

New Member Introductions Welcome to our community! Come in and introduce yourself to other members!

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 09:03 AM   #61
cruiter
cruiter is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Almost "New Owner"

I've committed, just waiting 'till the 18th or (sooner would be great) to get a call from Segway of Alpharetta (Scott Holloway) that my new child has arrived. Since the begginning i've read the articles with interest but when they were on Fox news on a recent Saturday morning, I decided it was time to test "Glide". A call to Scott and a half hour later, I was learning how to back up on one. I've not ridden an earlier generation and don't think I care to before I pick this one up. It felt great, and if someone had to camera to shoot my expressions, it would have been interesting I'm sure. I have been paying attention to the sight that offers different color options for the new i2. I won't leap on that, but might plan something out. As a retired USN vet, I may try to come up with some sort of Naval Vet scheme. Any ideas ???
Looking forward with much anticipation for that feeling a guy has in his neighborhood when he has a new toy that he knows others are lusting after. Who knows, where we live, there just might be one or two others with enough discretionary funds to not want to be behind the "Jones"
Jim in Cumming, GA
Old 09-06-2006, 10:23 PM   #62
pelley
pelley is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Long-time fan, first-time owner(s)

Like many here, my wife and I followed the story since the early "Ginger" days. The first time we saw a Segway in person was at EPCOT Center in Disney World. Years passed and I never got the chance to actually step on one.

I always knew that if I tried one, I would want to own one. Well, we finally got around to it recently by taking a Segway tour in downtown Sarasota (Ever-Glides). The experience left such an impression that today we became the proud owners of two Segways: a midnight blue i180 and a white i2.

I spent the better part of the evening cruising around the neighborhood in the i2. Eventually I ventured about a mile to the local grocery store, even riding around the produce aisle briefly before returning home. I got a lot of startled looks from people in cars. One even changed direction to get a better look. A kid on a sidewalk bench talking on a cell phone looked up and remarked "Holy schnikees!" (which I'm not really sure how to spell).

Tomorrow, weather permitting, I might actually try the 12 mile commute to my office-- just to try out the concept. It will take over an hour but I'm sure it would be fun.

Chris
Old 09-08-2006, 01:43 AM   #63
SidewalkSkimmer
SidewalkSkimmer is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Smile

SidewalkSkimmer / Beaverton & Hillsboro, Oregon / 02-Sep-2006

Will be using it for commuting to work (approx. 3 miles), to church, and other errands in the area. Essentially replacing the family's second car.

Signed up at the beginning of August to purchase an i180. Halfway through the month saw the i2 was announced & the price was the same. Called up our dealer in Portland here and they made the switcheroo--no problemo. Picked it up at the preappointed time on 02-Sep and have absolutely loved it! Only test-rode an i180 once before, so no real unlearning involved!
Old 09-08-2006, 06:49 AM   #64
cruiter
cruiter is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Holy schnikees

Wow, you have your i2!!! "Holy schnikees", how long had you been waiting? Did your dealer just get his shipment? As you can read in these posts, quite a few of us are waiting with eager anticipation. Enjoy and keep posting to us. I'm envious

" We know that communication is a problem, but the company is not going to discuss it with the employees." (Switching supervisor, AT&T Long Lines Division)
Old 09-08-2006, 11:53 AM   #65
pelley
pelley is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiter
Wow, you have your i2!!! "Holy schnikees", how long had you been waiting? Did your dealer just get his shipment? As you can read in these posts, quite a few of us are waiting with eager anticipation. Enjoy and keep posting to us. I'm envious
I guess I'm lucky because he actually had a couple in stock. The other one sold the same day we bought ours. I know it must frustrate folks who have been waiting weeks for theirs!

Anyway it's great. I actually did the 12-mile commute into work and enjoyed it tremendously. At lunchtime I drove it to McDonald's and went through the drive-through line! Crazy I know, but I had just had to do it once. The looks on their faces were priceless.

One thing has struck me-- how many people remark that you are "lazy" or "cheating" by riding a Segway. Yet most of these people drove their car to work. Anyone here experience the same thing?

Chris
Old 09-08-2006, 08:11 PM   #66
SEGsby
SEGsby will become famous soon enoughSEGsby will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

I got a lot of that from people who rented bikes and rode them along the boardwalk by the beach. Never really sure what to say, since I don't think of any scooter as an excuse to be lazy... *shrugs*

Just didn't respond to those kind of people while gliding on the rental...

SEGsby

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelley
I guess I'm lucky because he actually had a couple in stock. The other one sold the same day we bought ours. I know it must frustrate folks who have been waiting weeks for theirs!

Anyway it's great. I actually did the 12-mile commute into work and enjoyed it tremendously. At lunchtime I drove it to McDonald's and went through the drive-through line! Crazy I know, but I had just had to do it once. The looks on their faces were priceless.

One thing has struck me-- how many people remark that you are "lazy" or "cheating" by riding a Segway. Yet most of these people drove their car to work. Anyone here experience the same thing?

Chris
Old 09-09-2006, 02:48 PM   #67
n1iic
n1iic is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I purchased a used i167 one week ago and I am loving it.
I broke my leg really bad in May of 2004 and did nerve damage, and now I have bone spurs in my heel making it a bear to walk on. I went back on crutches, and finally admitted to myself that I have a permanent injury. My wife agreed that the Segway would make a big difference in life, so that was easy.
Wow, has it been a big uplift in my life, and my marriage. We went to the local fair last weekend, and got to walk around an enjoy the beautiful day.

Jason
Old 09-18-2006, 06:17 PM   #68
jehemer
jehemer is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Smooth gliding

I've had my Segway for a week and love it. Lets me get out to my childrens events which my MS prevented me from attending. Cross country meets and soccer games.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:58 AM   #69
terhorstj
terhorstj is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

HT i180, Midnight Blue, Li-ion batteries. Purchased from Segway Orange County in Southern California, now in New Haven, CT.

Using my Segway as my primary mode of transportation (left the car in SoCal until I finish graduate school at Yale).

People here can't believe their eyes!
Old 09-28-2006, 10:46 PM   #70
IPC_ALiNN
IPC_ALiNN is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default New to the Forum

I've been riding Segways since July 2005. I get paid riding Segways. I am a Segway Operations Instructor in the Security business.

Alot of information found here. Just finally decided to register.

Thanks in advance.

IPC_ALiNN
Closed Thread