SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Tours and Rentals

Notices

Tours and Rentals Issues, experiences & opinions relating to Segway rentals and tours.

Old 07-09-2004, 03:34 AM   #11
Burke
Burke

5 yr Member

Hi, Jim. Welcome to Segway Chat.

Where in California will you be operating, and what are you planning to do? Tours or unsupervised rentals? Just curious! Your profile doesn't say much. Thanks.

Janice
Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 01:46 PM   #12
SegwayRentals
SegwayRentals

5 yr Member

I plan on having several locations. Some will offer Tours Only, some rentals only and some both.

Jim
SegwayRentals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 07:16 PM   #13
Burke
Burke

5 yr Member

Are you the guy who's doing Catalina Island? We heard from a beachgoer last weekend that the City Council (or whoever governs Catalina) has just recently approved some pilot project with guided Segway tours and that everyone wonders how they'll be on the hills. I can't imagine it wouldn't work. What goes up, must recharge on the way down!

Janice
Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 10:33 PM   #14
SegwayRentals
SegwayRentals

5 yr Member

No. I am planning on doing other locations.
SegwayRentals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 06:29 PM   #15
BruceWright
Advanced Member
BruceWright is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I could probably go from Avalon to the Airport on a Segway! It's only about 6 miles.

That big hill at the beginning is the only real obstacle.

-Bruce Wright

Segway: Vehicle of Dream
BruceWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:17 PM   #16
RobsterClaw
RobsterClaw is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Segway Business

I am thinking about starting a Segway business in Colorado....I know, not the best time to start a business...and I was wondering whats steps you went thru with your local county or city to get approval is any. Also are there any tips on starting my business plan...start with only 4-6-8-10 segways...etc.

thanks
RobsterClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:51 AM   #17
Copenhagentours
Copenhagentours is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Smile

Hi everyone,

This is my first post. I am planing to operate a guided tour here in Copenhagen, Denmark. The city is ideal for just such a tour as it is competely flat and has an extensive bicycle lane infrastructure in place.

I have an i2 already and I plan to get 8 more to begin with. My biggest concern is that Segways are not legal for use in Copenhagen as they have not been given any classification.

There has been a tour operating in Stockholm for the past four years where the Segway is also unclassified. The tour operator there has just braved the legal limbo and has been very successful in operating the tours over the past few years.

Now I am trying to get some paperwork together to submit to the authority's here so I can get permission to start touring.

If anyone has any suggestions or any information that could be useful, statistics, pro's of the tour etc it would be greatly appreciated.
Copenhagentours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:52 AM   #18
Just Seg-it
Just Seg-it is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Advise from Tom

Hello Tom, I´m new to this chat. I have a project for opening a Segway tour in Madrid, Spain. I´ve been working on it for about a year. I agree with you on taking things slowly to make sure your not getting in something you should´nt. The project has gone through approvals by several entities like the the Chamber of Commerce here in Madrid, IMADE (who promotes new business for the Madrid area) and Deloitte (international business assessment.

My project has also been selected for a prize contest by BBVA (bank in Spain who´s director opened the NYCEX today and is in the U.S. to speak on economic recovery from the crisis). One of the aspects of this contest is to gain votes from people who think of it as a good project.You can read up on all the details on this web page: Just Seg-it BBVA Open Talent

I would appreciate if you would read it* (*translation on the second commentary) and tell me what you think of it. If you like it you can also vote for it on the little box that reads: VOTAR It would also be great if you can tell me how I can get other people to vote for my project. It is important that I get as many votes as I can.

I have high hopes of getting this project started. I´ll be turning 50 this July and I´m having a heck of a time trying to find work so I´m hoping to provide it for myself with this endeavour. It looks like you are well thought of in the Segway community, so I would really appreciate any help or ideas that you can provide.

All the best,
Jan van der Mersch
Just Seg-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:17 PM   #19
CovRob
CovRob will become famous soon enoughCovRob will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copenhagentours View Post
Hi everyone,

This is my first post. I am planing to operate a guided tour here in Copenhagen, Denmark. The city is ideal for just such a tour as it is competely flat and has an extensive bicycle lane infrastructure in place.

I have an i2 already and I plan to get 8 more to begin with. My biggest concern is that Segways are not legal for use in Copenhagen as they have not been given any classification.
We have the same problem here in the UK. I started my tour company last summer and, like all the other Segway operators in the UK, had to find a private landowner who would grant permission for them. I am fortunate in living in a popular tourist destination and also having access to massive areas of countryside.

In Wales there is a tour around Cardiff Bay docks. Alan from Cardiff Bay Segway took a long time to consult and reassure the local council that he was offering a suitable product. The one major hurdle in the UK to running a Segway tour is liability insurance. The tour MUST be on private property to obtain cover.

I wish you luck with your project and look forward to your updates.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:05 AM   #20
Madsegs
Madsegs will become famous soon enoughMadsegs will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default Advise

1. You do not need lots of segways to start (but you may not be able to cater for bussiness groups without them). I started with 5 cattering for myself and 2 couples or a family of 4.
  2. Bussiness groups are the most difficult and show little or no respect for the segways (they are not paying) so the low starting number allows you to get settled, confident, find your market and experience.
  3. You will probably run at a loss for some time (1 year plus) so be prepared.
  4. You have a better chance of a good return on the current stock markets than a segway tour operator so do it because it is what you want to do, NOT TO MAKE MONEY.
  5. Run it yourself (if possible) as people you hire are working for money and the enthusiasm lasts just a few months (and the additional costs).
  6. I spent EVERY minute of empty tours travelling around Madrid on a segway for nearly a year (far too many coffies involved on the breaks) on the yellow key so that i was visable (not fast), met the locals (i know all the homeless, beggars, actors.....) and learnt loads about my city.
  7. Let people ask for information (and they will as you are on a segway) as when they learn that you are gliding around because you love it they will be more interested than a pushed flyer.
  8. Place you website clearly on the segway from front and behind (i use UK yellow/reflectice numberplates) as this is will be your best form of free advertising (for me the best including paid adverts).
  9. Automate your reservations with a confirmed deposit so people do not stand you up or waste your time (link at the bottom of mine from the programmer if interested).
  10. When confronted with the cost (as most segway tours are more costly than renting a car for a day) compare it to karting or horse riding as people often place it in a walking/bike tour catagory.
  11. A segway tour is for the segway and seeing the sights is second. If they learn correctly and are given the time to play around safely they will see more later in the tour.
  12. Insist that they push the limits of the segway on the beginers key (i include steps within 5 minutes of training -down, and a titanic later-hands free and leen full forward on the bar...NOT FOR I2) as this gives them confidence.
  13. The more they understand the segway the more you will show them later in the tour.
  14. If you have a bussiness (if you dont forget it), plan include the price of replacing batteries 3 years in on 60% of your fleet (even if you are not doing well).
  15. Work on 20% capacity (Bplan)the first year at most on tours offered.
  16. Do lots of other segway tours in different cities if possible (take your own if you need to save cost but some people are not prepared to help).
  17. city centers are not for groups of 10 or more segways. You will upset pedestrians and have a sharp incline in accidents, see less, less personal all for the same price (or less as groups want a discount).
  18. Segways DO have maintanance it´s just not oil like a car.
  19. Geroge Bush is not the only person to fall off a segway and accidents will happen. I have had 36 falls in 3+ years BUT 90%+ of customers that have used a segway before my tour have seen one of more. Keep a detailed report of why, where and what could prevent them in the future. Outside of training people do not just turn into each other for no reason.
  20. After training look for white knukles, sweaty palms (yes even on hot days) and overconsentration as they need more guidance and a slow pace.
  21. Please ask questions or add some as this could take me a whole day and this is just my experiences.

Don´t you just love segs, i´m always riding mine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Madsegs is offline   Reply With Quote