SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Tours and Rentals

Notices

Tours and Rentals Issues, experiences & opinions relating to Segway rentals and tours.

Old 03-07-2004, 03:04 PM   #1
Florida Ever-Glides
Florida Ever-Glides will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee
Default New Segway Rental/Tour Business

Starting any new business can be fun and rewarding. The same can be said for a new Segway related business. Rentals and guided tours are becoming a cottage industry. But like any new business, there are certain risks that can wipe you out very quickly. If you decide to open a Segway rental/tour company take your time to do it right. You should allow approximately six months to prepare to open. There are so many issues that need to be resolved that are unique to each potential location. Research everything very carefully. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. If you take it slow and careful, placing the priorities in order you can have a successful and fun Segway related business. Also remember, it's also a lot of hard work. I work 7 days per week from 6:30am-6:30pm. It's not a walk in the park but it's fun and personally/financially rewarding.

If you need assistance on any general questions or comments on your ideas, I will be happy to assist in a very 'general' way.

Good luck to all future Segway professionals. Please keep it safe.

Tom Jacobson
Florida Ever-Glides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 07:46 PM   #2
lbinet
lbinet

5 yr Member

Hi Tom
I will be starting a Segway Rental / Tour business in my area. I plan to open in June. I already have a business plan in place and I’m ready to go. But, I would like to learn some of the finer points about operational detail and what kind of problems I can expect. I would greatly appreciate any info you can provide. I’d be willing to pay a consult fee if required. Let me know the best time I can reach you. Send an email with your phone number to: webmaster@LBI.net and I will call you or you can call me at 609-698-2199. Best time to call is after 7:40pm anytime.

Paul Neal
LBI.net
lbinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 11:01 PM   #3
lbinet
lbinet

5 yr Member

Tom
Thank you.

Just for the record…
I posted a message asking for some help from Tom about the segway rental/tour business. He called me within 30 minutes, and we talked for about an hour. Obviously we all here at segwaychat know that Tom knows his stuff, But…
The first thing he said when he called me was, He wont take any money for helping me. No consulting fee. This shows where his hart is.."SEGWAY". IT was really nice of Tom to do that.

Thanks Again!!
Think Big Tom...LOL

Paul Neal
LBI.net
lbinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 12:47 AM   #4
Itsi Atkins
Itsi Atkins is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

I agree, Tom helped me by speaking with the company that wants to rent Segways in NYC. I hope they take his advice and thanks to Tom and Florida EverGides for taking the time to help others.
Itsi Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 07:08 AM   #5
mondif
mondif

5 yr Member

Gee! I would just like to rent a Seg. so that my company can be convinced to buy one or two or ...Try to break the paradigm in New Jersey. Can anyone help me?
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Florida Ever-Glides

Starting any new business can be fun and rewarding. The same can be said for a new Segway related business. Rentals and guided tours are becoming a cottage industry. But like any new business, there are certain risks that can wipe you out very quickly. If you decide to open a Segway rental/tour company take your time to do it right. You should allow approximately six months to prepare to open. There are so many issues that need to be resolved that are unique to each potential location. Research everything very carefully. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. If you take it slow and careful, placing the priorities in order you can have a successful and fun Segway related business. Also remember, it's also a lot of hard work. I work 7 days per week from 6:30am-6:30pm. It's not a walk in the park but it's fun and personally/financially rewarding.

If you need assistance on any general questions or comments on your ideas, I will be happy to assist in a very 'general' way.

Good luck to all future Segway professionals. Please keep it safe.

Tom Jacobson
mondif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 07:15 AM   #6
mondif
mondif

5 yr Member

I would like to rent a Seg for use with-in the company that I work for, but they are very conservative and well you read where this is going. If I could rent a unit I just know that this company would buy. Can anyone help me with this request to rent? Heck they paid to let me go and try one so there is interest. I just need a little help pushing some folks over the fence. Frank
mondif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 02:20 AM   #7
Stan671
Stan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Frank, I may be able to come and visit your location with my HT to show it's capabilities, talk about it and give demo rides to whomever you want. But I won't lend my machine to anyone, sorry.

Stan Dobrowski
Stan671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 04:05 PM   #8
andrewhanna
andrewhanna

5 yr Member

Hey tom-

I have read your posts on segwaychat.com for the last copuple of weeks, and I just finished viewing your website, And i must tell you that you should be rewarded on having such a sucessful business! I admire you, and I would liketo open my own segway rental company in miami, Fl (where I live). Can you please give me some info that I must know about starting a segway rental. Things such as start up fees, profits, etc.

Thank you so much,
Andrew Hanna
andrewhanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 05:07 PM   #9
SegwayRentals
SegwayRentals

5 yr Member

Hi Tom,

I am starting my own Segway Rental shop out here in CA. I was wondering if you can give me any info on starting a rental company (example cost, fees, profits etc.) Also any expert advice would be very appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim Lake
SegwayRentals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 11:20 PM   #10
Matt
Matt

5 yr Member

Hey All,

I have talked with Tom and he has agreed to lead a Segway Tour Operator's Workshop at SegwayFest! 2004. The Workshop, though we are still finalizing the structure will feature 3 primary elements:

1) A discussion that he will lead on starting and running a successful Segway Touring Operation based upon his international award winning tour business in Sarasota (Florida EverGlides)

2) A 45 minute training course on how to adaquately train tour participants prior to their initial glide on a Segway

3) A 45 minute "tour" of the Hyatt property demonstrating the various facets of interactive tours so that you can see first hand how to undertake running a tour in your area.

Due to the nature of the workshop, it will be limited to 10 people and there will be a $50 charge to cover Tom's time and materials. We expect it to fill up fast (actually, we already have a number of the spots covered). If there is sufficient demand we may offer it more than once, but right now we are scheduling it for Sunday morning.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote