SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:17 PM   #31
SegwayDan
Advanced Member
SegwayDan has a spectacular aura aboutSegwayDan has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnyc View Post
I took the Segway out to Battery Park (that's downtown Manhattan near the Statue of Liberty). This time I had a lot more space...and it was a BLAST!!

I put the camera strap around my neck. Because the Segway is self-balancing, it was super easy to operate. I did a lot of full turns (woo-hoooo) and even chased squirrels while squatting low on the Segway. I never knew this thing was so FUN!

I'll share the video eventually. The footage is shaky, just as before, because it's still hand held, unstabilized. I think I have this stabilizer, and may use it next time:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...lder_Rest.html
Well, Lil, if you're not gonna pony-up for a real Steadicam, that shoulder bracket might help, but you might also want to check out a hands-free mod for the Seg. Maybe you could be steadier with both hands on the camera, while concentrating on staying loose and flexible with your body.

Dan Swanson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

727-403-2628
SegwayDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:05 PM   #32
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
I took the Segway out to Battery Park (that's downtown Manhattan near the Statue of Liberty). This time I had a lot more space...and it was a BLAST!!

I put the camera strap around my neck. Because the Segway is self-balancing, it was super easy to operate. I did a lot of full turns (woo-hoooo) and even chased squirrels while squatting low on the Segway. I never knew this thing was so FUN!

I'll share the video eventually. The footage is shaky, just as before, because it's still hand held, unstabilized. I think I have this stabilizer, and may use it next time:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...lder_Rest.html

I do not know your build, and the strength of your arms, but I do not believe that this shoulder frame is going to smooth out the videos from your segway...

My segway has no suspension, and neither does yours. The only thing we have to absorb the bumps and rough terrain that it encounters is a tiny bit of flex in its tires, and our own bodies... The tires are self explanatory, and for us, there is the flexing of our knees, and even the pendulum action of the lever of our arms...

I believe that if you have the camera on a bracket, on your shoulder, you will not actually reduce the jitters, but increase them, because any stabilization you get from having your body experience bouncing from the segway going over bumps, but your arms not moving as much, will now have your camera act more like the platform of the segway...

I hope I expressed my self clearly...

I believe that the stabilizers spoken of earlier, do the exact opposite to the camera holder that you linked to...

I am curious to know how this all works out...

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:47 PM   #33
lilnyc
lilnyc is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegwayDan View Post
Well, Lil, if you're not gonna pony-up for a real Steadicam, that shoulder bracket might help, but you might also want to check out a hands-free mod for the Seg. Maybe you could be steadier with both hands on the camera, while concentrating on staying loose and flexible with your body.
Hey SegwayDan,

I'll like your suggestion. Since it's just a hobby at this point, I'll probably go with what I have. I have a Pag shoulder mount too.

I did spend almost $5,000 on a Steadicam Pilot (the top of the line model with 2 battery packs). People wanted me to use it in some cases, but didn't want to pay. Others felt that it was overkill, so I got rid of it.
lilnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:49 PM   #34
lilnyc
lilnyc is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

KSagal - That makes sense. I want to try it anyway because...just because, LOL.
lilnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:12 PM   #35
SegwayDan
Advanced Member
SegwayDan has a spectacular aura aboutSegwayDan has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Hey SegwayDan,

I'll like your suggestion. Since it's just a hobby at this point, I'll probably go with what I have. I have a Pag shoulder mount too.

I did spend almost $5,000 on a Steadicam Pilot (the top of the line model with 2 battery packs). People wanted me to use it in some cases, but didn't want to pay. Others felt that it was overkill, so I got rid of it.
Glad I could contribute, Lil. Too bad you couldn't find enough work to make the Steadicam worth it for you, but good on you for being able to let it go. Not good to hang onto stuff you can't use or don't need.

I was thinking of a hands-free Seg myself--as a hobby. I've seen various mods, and got to thinking: why not have a clamp-on hands-free arm to run back between your legs from the stock LSF? I don't think the stock handlebars would be in the way of hands-free gliding, for me at least.

In your case, if you adjusted the LSF to its lowest position, then it might not get in the way much of your camera, either.

That way it would just be an add-on and easily removable for when you weren't in the hands-free mode.

I should think something could be made up from aluminum tubes, angle, bolts, and some foam padding, etc. which could just be clamped onto the LSF.

Dan Swanson

727-403-2628
SegwayDan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
segway i2, sony ex1, steadicam