SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:35 AM   #11
lilnyc
lilnyc is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegwayDan View Post
I see!

If you feel like it sometime, I'd be very interested to hear your "Segway Story": a little (or a lot) about yourself, how you got interested in the machine, and what sorts of things you plan to do with it both personally and professionally.
Hi SegwayDan,

There's more about me at http://www.LillianYoung.com

I have always loved technology and gadgets. When the Segway was a prototype, I followed it closely. I was new to New York and sold my car, but preferred independent commuting to public transportation, so I sought something to facilitate that desire.

I started with a Xootr kick scooter and rollerblades, but my favorite was the Xootr EX3 electric scooter. It looked like a kick scooter, and you could toss it over your shoulder once at your destination, but it had a tiny, hidden motor on it. I think it accelerated to 17mph and weighed about 20+ pounds, making it the lightest electric scooter at that time. The price for mine (two batteries) was $1,000. Unfortunately, the batteries died, and the model is discontinued.

In comes the Segway. I rode the first generation Segway...right into an expensive art sculpture. At that time, I didn't have $3,000 for one, but I tasted blood...Segway blood. I longed for one for years to come.

In 2007, I noticed my neighbor riding his Segway around, as well as a couple and a few others. I knew that it was not regulated in NYC though, so I researched the Piaggio MP3 500 and the .

I would have to get a motorcycle license, pay for parking ($200/mo.) and refill them with gas. Also, my parents objected, and I respect their wishes. Fortunately I didn't get those because the economy tanked shortly thereafter.

In 2008, I moved forward and purchased the i2 Commuter model despite the NYC regulations. My neighbor was ticketed twice in Chelsea (by an officer who is anti-Segway), but beat one of the two tickets. I figured that I'd stay on the West side where there are fewer people and avoid tickets. So far, so good...but I don't get optimum use out of it.

I personally use the Segway to get to and from my gym, which is 20 blocks away. I live far West in Manhattan, avenues from the nearest subway. At certain times, cabs are off duty or full. Also some look at me, assume I'm going to a neighborhood far outside of Manhattan, and don't pick me up. At such times, the Segway would serve as a perfect form of personal transportation.

Professionally, I am a Video Editor, so I carry my laptop and other heavy equipment in my backpack. In order to arrive at work un-drenched, I hail a cab, but depending on traffic, a simple $4 cab ride can double to $8. The ability to use the Segway to commute to work would be perfect.

Unlike the motorcycle options, I love that the Segway does not require gas, can be driven and parked indoors, is safe, easily maneuverable, and after the initial investment, very financially practical.

The Segway would officially become a replacement for my car if it were regulated in NYC. As of now, I use it wisely and use my kick Xootr at other times.

Last edited by lilnyc; 05-26-2009 at 08:45 AM..
lilnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:26 AM   #12
SegwayDan
Advanced Member
SegwayDan has a spectacular aura aboutSegwayDan has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnyc View Post
Hi SegwayDan,

There's more about me at http://www.LillianYoung.com

I have always loved technology and gadgets. When the Segway was a prototype, I followed it closely. I was new to New York and sold my car, but preferred independent commuting to public transportation, so I sought something to facilitate that desire.

I started with a Xootr kick scooter and rollerblades, but my favorite was the Xootr EX3 electric scooter. It looked like a kick scooter, and you could toss it over your shoulder once at your destination, but it had a tiny, hidden motor on it. I think it accelerated to 17mph and weighed about 20+ pounds, making it the lightest electric scooter at that time. The price for mine (two batteries) was $1,000. Unfortunately, the batteries died, and the model is discontinued.

In comes the Segway. I rode the first generation Segway...right into an expensive art sculpture. At that time, I didn't have $3,000 for one, but I tasted blood...Segway blood. I longed for one for years to come.

In 2007, I noticed my neighbor riding his Segway around, as well as a couple and a few others. I knew that it was not regulated in NYC though, so I researched the Piaggio MP3 500 and the .

I would have to get a motorcycle license, pay for parking ($200/mo.) and refill them with gas. Also, my parents objected, and I respect their wishes. Fortunately I didn't get those because the economy tanked shortly thereafter.

In 2008, I moved forward and purchased the i2 Commuter model despite the NYC regulations. My neighbor was ticketed twice in Chelsea (by an officer who is anti-Segway), but beat one of the two tickets. I figured that I'd stay on the West side where there are fewer people and avoid tickets. So far, so good...but I don't get optimum use out of it.

I personally use the Segway to get to and from my gym, which is 20 blocks away. I live far West in Manhattan, avenues from the nearest subway. At certain times, cabs are off duty or full. Also some look at me, assume I'm going to a neighborhood far outside of Manhattan, and don't pick me up. At such times, the Segway would serve as a perfect form of personal transportation.

Professionally, I am a Video Editor, so I carry my laptop and other heavy equipment in my backpack. In order to arrive at work un-drenched, I hail a cab, but depending on traffic, a simple $4 cab ride can double to $8. The ability to use the Segway to commute to work would be perfect.

Unlike the motorcycle options, I love that the Segway does not require gas, can be driven and parked indoors, is safe, easily maneuverable, and after the initial investment, very financially practical.

The Segway would officially become a replacement for my car if it were regulated in NYC. As of now, I use it wisely and use my kick Xootr at other times.
Great story, website, and samples, Lillian! Thanks so much for sharing them with us!

Interesting coincidence on your interest in the Piaggio MP3 500. I like it a lot from the test drive my wife and I took on it not long ago. However, Darlene didn't like the second seat. Too hard. The suspension was a little harsh, too. But otherwise, it was a very nice scooter.

You are to be commended for being a Segway pioneer (Agent i2 ;-)) within the NYC DMZ! Glide on, soldier!

Dan Swanson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

727-403-2628
SegwayDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 03:08 PM   #13
lilnyc

5 yr Member

Thanks, SegwayDan. I appreciate your checking out the website and samples as well.

I envy you and your wife for having tested the Piaggio MP3 500. I wasn't allowed to test it without a motorcycle license.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:06 PM   #14
SegwayDan
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Thanks, SegwayDan. I appreciate your checking out the website and samples as well.

I envy you and your wife for having tested the Piaggio MP3 500. I wasn't allowed to test it without a motorcycle license.
That's too bad! It's well-behaved if a little heavy. Once you're on it, you can't see the front wheels, and you soon forget that there're two of them, except for the extra traction they afford for cornering and braking. If you watch the various demo videos on YouTube some of them show how agile the machine is because of the two front wheels. I saw one video where the rider rode along a low curbing parallel to it with one of the front wheels up and one down. Amazing!

It also has a CVT (constant velocity transmission) so there are no gears to shift. I didn't take it out on the highway, but the dealer said it would easily do over 100 mph.

Dan Swanson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

727-403-2628
Old 05-27-2009, 04:27 AM   #15
florin
The Gliding Dutchman
florin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Since your new office is only 3 blocks away from your apartment (I read it from your twitter page), you can start gliding to work probably. Saves you some bucks. Hopefully enough savings to get you to MAMS in the future

Florin
florin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:38 PM   #16
lilnyc

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by florin View Post
Since your new office is only 3 blocks away from your apartment (I read it from your twitter page), you can start gliding to work probably. Saves you some bucks. Hopefully enough savings to get you to MAMS in the future
LOL!! You're right. They moved 3 blocks away Tuesday. But my boss wants me to bring the Segway! I'll have to do that.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:59 AM   #17
florin
The Gliding Dutchman
florin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
LOL!! You're right. They moved 3 blocks away Tuesday. But my boss wants me to bring the Segway! I'll have to do that.
(Perhaps I misunderstand your message, I'm not native english speaking, sounds to me that you aren't too happy about it: "But my boss ...")

But isn't that exactly what you want? The boss wants you to bring your segway with you. You must be the happiest Segway owner in NYC, I guess.

Next step, get your boss convinced that he needs to have a section about Segway usage in the EU and how the Segway is used for Segway Polo. Make your boss understand that it's important to decide quickly, the MAMS registration fee will rise from the 1st of June.

Florin
florin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 05:25 PM   #18
segsurfer
segsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Lil, bummer you ditched the EX3, I'm sure Jason at MTO could build you a suitable replacement set of batteries. The xootr is most definitely a neat bit of kit the idea that they've evolved the simple kick scooter to a legitimate form of transportation is awesome, if nothing else from an engineering standpoint. The spyder is awesome as well, I aspire to own one at some point, to cure my motorcycle itch. P.S. Dan, as an incurable gear head I must correct you, CVT stands for continuously variable transmission.
-segsurfer

segsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:42 PM   #19
SegwayDan
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by segsurfer View Post
. . .P.S. Dan, as an incurable gear head I must correct you, CVT stands for continuously variable transmission.
-segsurfer
OK, thanks. I stand corrected!

Dan Swanson

727-403-2628
Old 05-30-2009, 11:14 AM   #20
lilnyc

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by florin View Post
(Perhaps I misunderstand your message, I'm not native english speaking, sounds to me that you aren't too happy about it: "But my boss ...")

But isn't that exactly what you want? The boss wants you to bring your segway with you. You must be the happiest Segway owner in NYC, I guess.

Next step, get your boss convinced that he needs to have a section about Segway usage in the EU and how the Segway is used for Segway Polo. Make your boss understand that it's important to decide quickly, the MAMS registration fee will rise from the 1st of June.
"But" is a form of saying "however." I should have used a comma, rather than starting the sentence with But...but anyway

You are right. I am happy about his request to ride it.

Tags
segway i2, sony ex1, steadicam