SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Tours and Rentals

Notices

Tours and Rentals Issues, experiences & opinions relating to Segway rentals and tours.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:56 PM   #21
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I usually tell people that if they are going to fall off, it will usually be sideways. I still feel that is accurate.

I do demos, but not tours, so I do use the original turtle rate some time, but mostly so I don't have to run so hard in the case of a lean away...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:48 AM   #22
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gihgehls View Post
Turtle mode affects steering. Say it with me:

Turtle mode affects steering!

If you need to limit speed, you are better off programming the fast mode in the infokey to be slower. This way, the (safer) turning rate is enabled while the speed is limited.
Turtle mode has several benefits in my opinion for a first time rider:

1) The steering is less responsive. So, when they do what you tell them not to (on purpose or otherwise), such as leaning hard from side-to-side, they are forgiven by the machine. And I don't understand why a slower turning speed is bad for a beginner. Why are they going to need the much faster turning rate to begin with? Our 130 metre practice track is designed to introduce riders to turns in a smooth manner.
2) Mounting and dismounting is easier. The speed of the steering is even less responsive when mounting and dismounting (with only one foot on the machine). We find a lot of people struggle with the mount and dismount.
3) The top speed is reduced. This is important as it literally means they cannot either inadvertently rush off at 12.5MPH or disregard the training on purpose and do a hard lean forward.
4) It introduces them to the speed limiter. On our faster tour, we do travel as fast as we can (as is safe) in one or two spots and I would hate them to hit the speed limiter and panic at 12.5 or even slower if ascending/descending a hill.

It was for these very reasons that I decided to use turtle mode at the start. But I am glad other operators are having success with their different approach and so long as riders are safe and having fun, that's all that matters.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:02 PM   #23
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Good points, Gareth. I'd forgotten that an update reduced the one-foot turning rate to almost nothing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:10 AM   #24
SegNation
SegNation is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Segway turtle mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halffro777 View Post
We stopped using turtle mode after our first year in business. Everyone hated it and it caused more accidents than it prevented due to the delayed steering.
I will agree. We stopped using turtle mode and accidents dropped dramatically. Many guests would freak out when the Segway would hit the speed governor and they would crash. Since removing the governor, our crashes are far less frequent. As for the Galveston tour, yes they go 12.5 miles per hour, along with Austin and San Antonio. I have taken tours in Munich, which also was at 12.5 mph. The only tour I can remember that was at a lower speed was in Wilmington, NC at 8MPH. The good news is, is that if you are wary of full speed, you can change the top speed on the Segway to 10-11 MPH very easily. I have heard of many tour companies using this method.

Chris
Segway Nation
SegNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:01 PM   #25
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegNation View Post
I will agree. We stopped using turtle mode and accidents dropped dramatically. Many guests would freak out when the Segway would hit the speed governor and they would crash. Since removing the governor, our crashes are far less frequent. As for the Galveston tour, yes they go 12.5 miles per hour, along with Austin and San Antonio. I have taken tours in Munich, which also was at 12.5 mph. The only tour I can remember that was at a lower speed was in Wilmington, NC at 8MPH. The good news is, is that if you are wary of full speed, you can change the top speed on the Segway to 10-11 MPH very easily. I have heard of many tour companies using this method.

Chris
Segway Nation
One tour company told me they do that, so the guides would have a speed advantage and could better catch up to assist people.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #26
SGpoint-Prague
SGpoint-Prague is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Prague top speed

Hello, in Prague city historical centre we use max.10 km/hour (7 miles/hour), because we are "walkers" and we ride on sidewalks. If we leave city centre, we can give max.speed (individual: 18km/hour -12miles/hour)

It is official deal for Segway tour asociation for companies in Prague.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:24 AM   #27
IsegPrague
IsegPrague is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Hi Petr, you forget to mention that in Czech Republic we are "walkers" by law and we can use city sidewalks if we dont exceed speed of walkers. You use max. speed 10km in city center, do you have some details what is max legal walkers speed?
IsegPrague is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
top speed, tour