SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 03-30-2007, 04:18 PM   #81
Worm
Worm is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Tim:

You used the following quote to illustrate that the term "black" is wrong. Your quote included: "Many blacks in America" and to de-Africanize blacks"

Quote:
...In the 1980s the term African American was coined on the model of, for example, German American. It was largely popularized by Jesse Jackson, and quickly adopted by major newspapers. Many blacks in America expressed a preference for the term as it was formed in the same way as the names for other ethnic groups. Some argued further that, because of the historical circumstances surrounding the capture, enslavement and systematic attempts to de-Africanize blacks in the U.S. under chattel slavery, most African Americans are unable to trace their ancestry to a specific African nation; hence, the entire continent serves as a geographic marker.

Last edited by Worm; 03-30-2007 at 04:24 PM..
Worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 05:46 PM   #82
hellphish
hellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

I'd like to point out that Jamaica isn't in Africa. My black friend at work is neither African nor American.

I do have issue with calling black people "blacks" just as I have an issue with people calling white people "whites." It makes it look like you're picking teams.

BTW, what do the initials "NAACP" stand for?

EDIT: It stands for "National Association for the Advancement of Colored People."

Last edited by hellphish; 03-30-2007 at 06:28 PM.. Reason: removed snark
hellphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 06:34 PM   #83
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player
Default by any other name

I prefer to be called "the polo player formerly known as prin...I mean, plomoh".

(ah...classic OPTA...but sadly this thread found it's way to OT before I could do my handy work)
polo_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 09:06 PM   #84
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

As an American of Tan countenance with light red striations, I find it intersesting that at least one person here, and it seems to me that more than one person has seen fit to lecture us on the proper way to call very large groups of people.

I recall and will not recheck that I was told that "this is how these people choose to be called"... According to whom?

I was insulted reading at least one very clearly written lecture, as if some other person has knowledge that is not available to others. He even said that he has more experience, yet how could he possibly know what experiences others on this board have?

I'll not quote this particular post or that, several here have been over the top. I am sure that some people here will be insulted that I have called them on this, and some that I do not even recall will insist that I am only singling them out, but that does not matter...

I don't think one person can or should present themself as knowing the will and desire of large groups of people. Within large groups there are always variations... I believe it is reasonable to request that people not be derogatory in their lables but the definition of this or that being derogatory is not up to one person, regardless of how much that person deems themself 'in the know'....

I will use an example... Hebrew is an ancient language, commonly spoken historically by Jews. Yiddish is a more recient language (with elements of Hebrew, German, Rusian, and other Slavic dialects) , commonly spoken by Jews from certain areas in europe originally, and then by their decendents.

If a non Jew were to refer to a person as speaking "Jewish" I would not really know if they were refering to Hebrew, or Yiddish, but I could and have said in the past that they were being politically incorrect, and somewhat insensitive. This is a position that I am familiar with...

My mother is in her late 70s. On more than one occasion, she has told me this or that was said in 'Jewish'. I believe she was referring to Yiddish, but I am her son. Should I 'correct' her? Who is it that is insulted by that term? Is she not someone who is in the group that would be defended by me telling other people not to use that term?

I know black people who refer to themselves as black. I know black people (and I use that term out of respect for the people that CHOOSE to call themselves that, who am I to call them African anything, since they come from the carribian?) I am happy to refer to a person in the manner that either they refer to themselves, or in a manner that is consistant with what they have asked me to call them.

Personally, I think that many people are too thin skinned about much of this. An insult is an insult, and a complement is a complement and a neutral word is a neutral word... Intonation can make the most benign word into a complement or insult.

I have fairly well had my fill of all this. I have already posted that I believe the reason that we are even talking about this is that a young man was called black in a story, and I believe that there was an attempt to increase the perception of potential danger by using that descriptor. It may have been accurate, politically correct or otherwize, but it was used to further the sense of danger, in that particular instance. I am not saying that I was insulted, or that choice of adjectives was not appropriate, I am saying that it was appropriate for what was being attempted to be conveyed, and it worked for me... I also indicated that it did not work for others.

One more time, I am honest, and I am subjective as a result of being a human being, and draw upon my personal experiences and the things I have learned. I judge situations by the tools I have available, and strive to give the benifit of the doubt when I can, and further strive to be more and better than the results of just what someone else told me, and strive to act better than my many many teachers...

I also take extream efforts to teach the same...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:39 PM   #85
hellphish
hellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
Personally, I think that many people are too thin skinned about much of this. An insult is an insult, and a complement is a complement and a neutral word is a neutral word... Intonation can make the most benign word into a complement or insult.
Thank you Karl! You nailed it. Way to end the thread.

Last edited by hellphish; 03-30-2007 at 10:47 PM..
hellphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 12:04 AM   #86
SEGsby
SEGsby will become famous soon enoughSEGsby will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

If there was a firmware update that let Herbie stand up on his own, be it E-Stand or E-Park, I'd go for it.

It would be a huge help while I attach the leenstear lock..

SEGsby

Quote:
Originally Posted by plo View Post
Sure there's an answer to your problem...I'm surprised Karl responded without commenting on this. I have a one word answer for you:

e167

Now whether you'll be able to get Herbie programmed with E-stand, well, I don't know. But it sounds like this would satisfy your complaint, eh?

ps - By the way, my e167 is named "Silver".
SEGsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 12:24 AM   #87
SEGsby

5 yr Member

eJM has been awesome, and I want people to leave eJM alone. This person's brave enough to say what they truly eel and believe, despite my disagreement over their position. They have the right to chose how they see the universe around them-- just like each of us must.

And that's cool. This is what freedom is all about-- choice, thought and dialog. And there certainly has been a lot of dialog on this topic...

But it's the people who whisper to conspire behind people's backs that I can't stand... And that is not how eJM has handled the situation. That impresses me greatly.

I agree with Worm 100%. Please don't keep your mouth shut. Please do NOT STOP contributing to this subculture! Diversity is what we need, and that is what makes us all grow, think and improve as incomplete beings who try to make things better around us.

Disagreement and misunderstanding and overreaction may exist now, but the future can be better because of it. Much better, if we let it.

Oh, and I can't find any pics of Amish Mimes...

SEGsby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worm View Post
Please don't keep your mouth shut even if you believe you are the only one to have a certain opinion. You have every right to your opinion. Just don't say "and many others" when you are not speaking for anyone else directly.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:28 AM   #88
BillPaxton
BillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the rough

Yes Worm - please don't stop. You are a breath of fresh air. But you must stop mocking my past life as a mime...

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. ~Ernest Hemingway
BillPaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 12:40 AM   #89
SEGsby

5 yr Member
Question

All people are colored.

Human skin is generally less than 1% different, when one compares DNA between all the known races. The only notable difference is the amount of Melanin produced, which gives all humans a distinctive coloration. Individual variation, age, health and exposure to the Sun can of course, alter the appearance of any skin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melanin

The name of this organization has always confused me, since all people are by default, colored in some fashion. Even albinos (not a race), who are the whitest of all the humans on planet earth, are probably not being represented by this group-- as it seems to organizationally, politically & linguistically imply that White is not a color.

Perhaps I'm confused on this subject?

SEGsby

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellphish View Post
...EDIT: It stands for "National Association for the Advancement of Colored People."
Old 03-31-2007, 12:43 AM   #90
eJM
Account Suspended
eJM will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Thank you, SEGsby, I appreciate every word of your last post (you people are too quick - I refer to post #87.). Drive-by rep shooter number 5 (another coward who didn't want to give a name) seems to think I joined with a chip on my shoulder. I'm glad to see that may not be the case with you - besides the fact that I joined almost 6 months ago and have yet to challenge anyone to a duel.

It has been an interesting discussion and I am glad to know a few of the members a little better because of it. Thanks again for the kind words. Maybe some of your good manners will rub off on a few others.

Jim
eJM is offline   Reply With Quote