SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 03-31-2007, 01:04 AM   #91
SEGsby
SEGsby will become famous soon enoughSEGsby will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Naw, you're fine. I appreciate someone who's willing to play devil's advocate instead of drinking cool-aide like most folk seem to, 'cause it's less confrontational & more socially acceptable...

Since I've joined here, I've learned a lot about myself thru other people's posts, such as:

1. I'm a worthless whiner and whenever I complain about accessories, it's either a dead horse topic, or I'm just a broken record that does no one any good.

2. I love to electrocute people with stun guns. Because I carry one for self defense, that must mean that I'm itching to use it on someone; though I never have. Yet.

3. I beg people to beat me up and attack me when I ride my segway. Perhaps they can spot my evil chi at 30 feet and scream 'DANGER!' to warn others, or perhaps it's my fear of falling that they mistake as evil intent, or I'm so dorky looking as I glide, I must be an easy target, and thus, deserve everything I get coming to me.

4. I'm mean to people who are mean to me, so that makes me the bigger a$$hole.

5. Mimes are people too, no matter their nationality or brand of face paint.

As for manners, you'll find I don't have many. But welcome to Segchat, where we're all individuals just trying to get along and have fun with this Segway thing-- and sometimes don't!

Don't fret about the points, be they cowardly given or not. As controversial as I tend to be here, I can't worry much about what others think. If I did, I would not be using my Segway in public. They hate me, you know.

SEGsby
SEGsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 02:11 AM   #92
Worm
Worm is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

SEGsby:

Bravo! Excellent! Well said!

(I guess you don't know about the cool-aid from the 60's)

Maybe you could change your avatar to a sideview of a dork on a segway, zapping an old lady with a stun gun, while running over a young male?
Worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 12:24 AM   #93
SEGsby

5 yr Member

Worm, don't be weird... *smack*

Two days ago, I crashed Herbie in a 6 inch deep drift of beach sand on the boardwalk. I didn't see it in the dark, until it was too late. Funny how time seems to slow down, and you remember things that normally, you don't see. Like, the wheels on the seg spinning in slo-mo, as it tried to get a grip on a surface, kicking up sprays of sand as it flailed and rotated to the left... I lost traction and fell over the handlebars, landing on my right side. The deep piles of sand were leftovers from that windy evening when I got broadsided by a skateboarder earlier in the week. I'm thinking ETT's would be useful here, if the city isn't going to clean this stuff up.

But as I went to the local dealer today to see if they had replacement parts for me, they all knew about the incident I wrote about earlier in the week, and were asking questions about it. I was a little embarrassed but I tried to clarify things for them a bit better.

One of the questions asked, was very strange, I thought. They wanted to know if I was a writer. I told them I wasn't. I just do computer graphics for a local studio here, in their commercial division. But I did try to explain that when I post, I try not to be boring-- which sometimes gets me in a bit of trouble. I think trying to paint mental images & entertain with words helps make up for me not being much of a statesman when I glide and people give me a hard time about it. It's also somewhat therapeutic.

BTW, the Santa Monica Dealer had a new Infokey Dock and handlebars for Herbie in stock! Tressa put on the new dock and I'll mess with the grips when I get home from work later tonight. Besides some bruising, both Herbie and I are fine.

SEGsby
Old 04-02-2007, 12:42 PM   #94
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

SEGsby,

Sorry to hear about your mishap. I am glad you are okay, and your seg will be...

It would be a tremendous loss to this forum if you were out of commission... Who would we all complain about? Other people do worse things, but you are more fun to pile on...

Your writing skills come into this... It is no fun to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man. You, on the other hand are lots of fun. Every pass or volly has a comeback... Great for the debate, and all sides get well represented...

Keep it up. I cannot wait till your next adventure...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:39 PM   #95
Sharkie
Sharkie will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEGsby View Post
Worm, don't be weird... *smack*

Two days ago, I crashed Herbie in a 6 inch deep drift of beach sand on the boardwalk. I didn't see it in the dark, until it was too late. Funny how time seems to slow down, and you remember things that normally, you don't see. Like, the wheels on the seg spinning in slo-mo, as it tried to get a grip on a surface, kicking up sprays of sand as it flailed and rotated to the left... I lost traction and fell over the handlebars, landing on my right side. The deep piles of sand were leftovers from that windy evening when I got broadsided by a skateboarder earlier in the week. I'm thinking ETT's would be useful here, if the city isn't going to clean this stuff up.
SEGsby
Unfortunately, ETT's wouldn't help in this situation. Soft or loose sand is one of the few things I dreaded when I rode a motorcycle. Nothing will give you traction when the surface itself is not stable. While ETT's may grip the sand better, if the sand itself moves, that's not much help. The only thing you can do in this sort of situation is be extra vigilant for this type of obstacle, and either avoid it or be extra careful when you traverse it. Unfortunately, some things are a problem with pretty much any sort of tire.

Jim
Old 04-02-2007, 03:43 PM   #96
KSagal
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

I had a similar incident a few months ago. I was gliding along a clean sidewalk several days after a snow storm... The season was not new, so there were frozen snow banks on both sides of the sidewalk...

At one point (I would guess I was going about 8 mph) I passed a small breach in the snow bank and hit about 6 inches of a blown in snow drift. (Almost identical to SEGsby's)

My i2 first slowed down because of the drag of going into the soft snow, but my body did not, this caused me to lean forward, which gave the input to increase speed, which was tough on standard tires, in snow deep enough that it was piling up in front of the batteries...

I considered this a resistance/drag event as much as a traction event... Well, the tires were not up to the drag and increase, and I went down. (Very embarrassing, but at least it was on snow... Soft)

I had considered at the time if I had been on my e instead, which has my Ketts mounted, it would likely have not gone down the same way... I believe that when the big lug tires hit that soft snow, they may have had enough grip to climb the hill. Maybe not. I have done similar obsticals before, but each situation is unique...

Anyway, it has stopped snowing, and I now have VERY aggressive tires on the i2 as well...

By the way, I agree that Segway ETTs, both gen 1 and gen 2 would not have been able to get thru this particular problem, because they could not have bitten into the hill of snow or sand well enough... They are great at slippery, but not so much at slippery/ with the extra drag component...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:39 PM   #97
BillPaxton
BillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

I'm bidding on a pair of KETTs right now and the auction ends in 45 minutes!! (c'mon Karl, keep the K in there)

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. ~Ernest Hemingway
BillPaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:08 PM   #98
KSagal

I am not sure what Bill is bidding on, but Ketts are a specific tire, not the same as the michelin etts sold by segway...

THe Ketts I sold were chen Shin tires, with a japanese trials tread pattern... very knobby, but with a smooth ride. I also had super ketts, which were also chen shin tires with a more aggressive knobby tread pattern.

THe ketts were 500% more aggressive than the ETTs.

Then, on the west coast, some of the guys found a tire, made by Kings, with a similar trials tire tread. These were marginally larger in the sidewall. Still a great tire if you can get them to fit under the fenders...

I bought several sets of the tires, sold a number of sets, and then the manufacturer stopped making that tire. And the Kings were a much worse fit that many could not use.

I now have dozens of tires, and some fit, some don't and most are right on the very edge of being usable, or just onto the side of too big.

I have my original Ketts design on my e-167, and they are great. I am experimenting with a very aggressive tire that is now on my i2, but the ride is a bit choppy. More like the super ketts. I am still looking for the tire with the perfect combo of knob and smooth ride...

Old 04-02-2007, 10:14 PM   #99
BillPaxton
BillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I am not sure what Bill is bidding on, but Ketts are a specific tire, not the same as the michelin etts sold by segway...

The Ketts I sold were chen Shin tires
well I lost 'em anyway. Went for $179! I bought chen shin's but they were the wrong radius and the correct one is DISCONTINUED! I had the good fortune to ride on Antony's KETTs in November and I really liked the grip of them.
We rode for 8 hours through wet cobblestone and I never lost traction (well, maybe once for a second going up stairs...but who is dumb enough to try that..)

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. ~Ernest Hemingway
BillPaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:23 AM   #100
SEGsby

5 yr Member

Thanks... I think?

If I get mugged or stabbed, I'll be sure to let you all know.

SEGsby

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post

Keep it up. I cannot wait till your next adventure...