SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:49 PM   #1
BillPaxton
BillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Default A Call To Arms

My fellow gliders,

I am appalled by some of your behaviors and I can't hold my tongue anymore. I would like to urge you all to take a deep breath and think about some things:
  1. This forum is about SEGWAYs. We all have that one thing in common.
  2. We don't have to agree. God bless America. If you hate ***'s posts, for everyone's sake, BLOCK them and get over it!
  3. Can't we be civil, please? I would like to think if I need a fender or tire, there are 30 people that can help. THAT is what this board was meant for. Be a source of help for those that need help and put your petty bs behind you. You can all take a page out of Dr. Marty's book and see what difference one person can make to someone.
  4. Grow up. Personal attacks are about the most childish things you can do - why is this such a frequent occurance among people that all share #1???
  5. Be constructive with your criticiscms - you serve no one but yourself with a rant. Have you never heard Eldrige Cleaver's "if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem" speech? I say SHAME ON YOU. Again, grow up, and find a way to find equal ground with your peers.
  6. Whatever happened to kindness? You don't have to be any religion or belong to any political party to be kind to people. Just try to see the other persons perspective and try not to be so judgemental - there are SO many other things we can all agree to be angry about. Just try a bit harder to be kind, its really not so hard.
Why did I post this? I was so angered by a post I saw today that I was tempted to just fade away. But I decided to chat for a bit and then I realized that this is a big part of the problem here - the members get upset and either stomp off or make a huge show of their departure...and who does that serve?
We need to put our indifferences aside and realize our similarities, that was the basis of this [and every] forum - to welcome the new people and share knowledge. But remember too that this board did not spring up when you joined, and I think it won't die out just because you storm off in anger. Be an adult - talk, PM, chat with the folks that urk you. I did and now I have new friends as a result.

+B

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. ~Ernest Hemingway
BillPaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:53 AM   #2
jryan
jryan will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillPaxton View Post
My fellow gliders,

I am appalled by some of your behaviors and I can't hold my tongue anymore. I would like to urge you all to take a deep breath and think about some things:
  1. This forum is about SEGWAYs. We all have that one thing in common.
  2. We don't have to agree. God bless America. If you hate ***'s posts, for everyone's sake, BLOCK them and get over it!
  3. Can't we be civil, please? I would like to think if I need a fender or tire, there are 30 people that can help. THAT is what this board was meant for. Be a source of help for those that need help and put your petty bs behind you. You can all take a page out of Dr. Marty's book and see what difference one person can make to someone.
  4. Grow up. Personal attacks are about the most childish things you can do - why is this such a frequent occurance among people that all share #1???
  5. Be constructive with your criticiscms - you serve no one but yourself with a rant. Have you never heard Eldrige Cleaver's "if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem" speech? I say SHAME ON YOU. Again, grow up, and find a way to find equal ground with your peers.
  6. Whatever happened to kindness? You don't have to be any religion or belong to any political party to be kind to people. Just try to see the other persons perspective and try not to be so judgemental - there are SO many other things we can all agree to be angry about. Just try a bit harder to be kind, its really not so hard.
Why did I post this? I was so angered by a post I saw today that I was tempted to just fade away. But I decided to chat for a bit and then I realized that this is a big part of the problem here - the members get upset and either stomp off or make a huge show of their departure...and who does that serve?
We need to put our indifferences aside and realize our similarities, that was the basis of this [and every] forum - to welcome the new people and share knowledge. But remember too that this board did not spring up when you joined, and I think it won't die out just because you storm off in anger. Be an adult - talk, PM, chat with the folks that urk you. I did and now I have new friends as a result.

+B

Very nice thread Bill +R for you!! I just wanted to intercept for a minute if I could. Negativity and attacks lead no where! I am not saying I have never done it myself, to say that would not be wise! But the fact of the matter is that when someone is attacked they hardly listen. Instead they toss the actual message behind the attack in the trash and get a sudden defensive urge. Soon both sides are toggling between the offensive and the defensive, and no one gets any where.

I think we all have the capability of making friends of each other if wwe would let each other! I have made several friends here. Many of whom were my biggest critics in the past. There are some who I absolutely cannot stand but you know what, that's between me and them. This is not a public matter nor do I try to make it so. This is, my friends, common decency! Also, it is very difficult to tell character on an online forum. Certain aspects such as body language and tone are simply missing, which could make all the difference.

Lastly, I think it is important that you have open communication with those that irk you, assuming you do not want to block them. Let them know, but when you send a pm, please do not dehumanize them. I know that I have gotten several pm's through my few months here! I got pm's from some that basically said they hope I die and rot in he!!. I have enough respect for the forum (no respect for said members but that is between me and them not a public matter) to not mention names. What good would it serve me. In these little messages of hate was something hidden..... A message on how I could improve myself!

You see, the problem was this. Given as they wanted to address me as though we were both still in kindergarten I took no notice to the credible aspects of the pm. Disrespect is never really heard. Then, later on down the line some other people decided to address me like a man. I listened and suddenly saw I was way off and made neccessary apologies! You see, it is not what you say but how you say it. Both the hate messages and the constructive ones in essence had the same advice. I, like a normal human being, disreagrded the hate messages. I did listen to the constructive ones however.

I urge you, if you have a problem with another member (and certainly me) please pm them and let them know in a constructive way. I have never left an question brought about by pm unanswered. I always respond and I dare anyone to say different. I will listen and have listened and I think most here will if approached the right way. Oh, and one last thing. I have been honest in sharing my life with you all. I put myself on the line whenever I am honest because many do not believe and that is fine. I understand that it is hard for people to understand my expieriences if they have not had them themselves. I understand that it is hard to fathom that at 19 years old I have seen and done a lot of "abnormal" things.

But I am begging you, ask the questions you need to ask. Many here doubt me, but I find it hypocritical because I have invited everyone to, if they have a question, pm me and ask. Public forum is not a place for Jeremy Q&A but pm is. I will answer just about anything you want. I have yet to find someone who will take me up on the offer. So, unless you are going to ask the questions, do not, at least publicly doubt someone elses credibility! For now, I will just hope things improve and great post Bill!!!

Jeremy Ryan

P.S. You can always e-mail me at jryan_Winston@yahoo.com or jeremy.ryan@tdsmetro.com or call me at 608-469-8232!!
Old 03-21-2008, 06:07 AM   #3
RAG1247
RAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Bill - well written and thought out post and you did it without the whine, whine, whine, and the me, me, me aspect.

Not sure I completely understood the part that stated why is this such a frequent occurance among people that all share #1???

"If you can’t change the people around you, change the people around you"
RAG1247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:18 AM   #4
nora k
nora k has a spectacular aura aboutnora k has a spectacular aura aboutnora k has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAG1247 View Post
Bill - well written and thought out post and you did it without the whine, whine, whine, and the me, me, me aspect.

Not sure I completely understood the part that stated why is this such a frequent occurance among people that all share #1???

ragster ... by #1 he means the common bond of segways

Last edited by nora k; 03-21-2008 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: who does number 2 work for?
nora k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:09 AM   #5
jryan

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAG1247 View Post

Not sure if you are referring to me wth the whine, whine, whine and me, me, me aspect. If you are I am sorry you took it that way! I was merely citing examples of common problems so that maybe others could realize more in depth! Examples never hurt! These examples are from my expieriences because although I have seen and heard others I am not in a position to make judgements nor cite how I saw it without knowing the whole story, which is really a matter of opinion!

Jeremy Ryan
Old 03-21-2008, 09:52 AM   #6
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

Somehow, jryan, I don't think he's talking about you.

Pam
pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 10:15 AM   #7
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default On the other hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam View Post
Somehow, jryan, I don't think he's talking about you. Pam
If you think he is talking about you, think about what you have done.

Of course if you don't think he is talking about you, Think About What You Have Done.

Rep Points for starting this thread!
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 10:28 AM   #8
jryan

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwhopper View Post
If you think he is talking about you, think about what you have done.

Of course if you don't think he is talking about you, Think About What You Have Done.

Rep Points for starting this thread!
I don't neccessarily think he is talking about me.... I guess the kicker would be whether one would be referring to my past or my present. In my past there has very well been reason to make such a comment, in the present, I am not so sure..... Either way, I figured I would chime that in just in case.

Jeremy Ryan
Old 03-21-2008, 04:23 PM   #9
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

I have a question.

Let's just suppose a person, Joe, has been hanging out in a neighborhood bar, fairly regularly, for about 5 years.

Every few weeks (months, whatever) he observes another guy, Sam, come in, and scope out the new people. This Sam sees someone, and tells the new person this story about a new invention that he has in his car. They talk, everyone seems happy, and eventually, the two go out to Sam's car, and Sam talks the new guy into investing in his new idea...

So far, everyone is okay.

After a while, that new guy starts talking about how Sam never followed thru, and he has not heard from him...

Not really a big deal. People make bad investments all the time, sometimes in money, sometimes in trust, sometimes in other ways.

Eventually, the new guy moves on, as people are common to do.

Weeks (months, whatever) go by and all is relatively quiet.

Then, one day, Joe notices Sam is in, scoping out all the new folks at the bar. He strikes up a conversation with one, and eventually, they wind up at Sam's car, and a new investment is made.

This new guy has a similar story and series of events transpire, as it relates to Sam.

Weeks go by. Then one day, Sam is in again, scoping out the new folks.

My question is this... Just what position does Joe take? It is not him that is getting involved. He knows that the regulars at the bar know of Sam, and they do not get involved, nor does Sam spend time with them, because they are not Sam's market.

At what point does Joe act? Or should he not? If he does, someone will get upset. If he does not, someone will get upset. If he does, he may be causing Sam some hardship. If he does not, isn't he assisting Sam to get over?

In my opinion, we live in a society where too many people say it is not their job to monitor their environment. People do not want to get involved, because it is hard, and often not appreciated. In my opinion, Joe should speak up, to help the new guy that does not even know he needs to be aware. But, that is just me.

I don't know the value of always getting along, even with those who do things you do not respect. I would rather have friends and enemies, than a world full of grey people who do not care to speak up in defense of right, or attack wrong.

I am not suggesting that people should be uncivil. I am suggesting that if you know something that may benefit another, and you let them struggle in their ignorance, it makes you a lesser person. If you attempt to enlighten them, it makes you a better person. That much I do know...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 04:28 PM   #10
jryan

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post

I am not suggesting that people should be uncivil. I am suggesting that if you know something that may benefit another, and you let them struggle in their ignorance, it makes you a lesser person. If you attempt to enlighten them, it makes you a better person. That much I do know...
I agree completely, the fact is that it is how you approach that person. If you offer that "enlightenment" via personal attacks, it, in my opinion, makes you a lesser person than not speaking at all. Personal attacks encourage the same behavior you are asking to curb. If you say it in a constructive way, you are a great person for doing so. There's a difference between speaking up and being an @$$! Thank you Karl, +R for you!

Jeremy Ryan