SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Videos and Podcasts

Notices

Videos and Podcasts For all Segway-related multimedia posts, music, podcasts, videos, etc.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:06 PM   #21
MiamiBeachPatrol
MiamiBeachPatrol is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default LegSteer

Patent schmaten... there are design patents and there are utility patents and trying to defend a patent unless you are a large corporation is an uphill climb at best.
And then there is the issue of defending a patent not registered in the U.S.A. ?

Many people spend a lot of time and money in the pursuit of a patent.
There's a big difference between the 2 types... and often, little is required to acquire a new patent. Often, depending on whether it's "design" or "utility", a little modification is all that's needed to acquire a new "original" patent.

The mistaken impression that others can't... or won't copy, unfortunately, is a lesson hard-learned.

Ulrick and Reinhard's attorney might try contacting the Toyota/Sony team that developed the hands-free control on their Winglet. --- See how quickly they "cease and desist."

Good luck... (although Karl may have said it more bluntly)
:-]

As a point of information, I was referring to the development for this collective community's "personal use".
(I, for one, am not going to try to develop an ancillary product for an original Segway Inc. design)
MiamiBeachPatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:44 PM   #22
MiamiBeachPatrol

5 yr Member
Default hands-free

Hey Jon Beattie.......... I just checked out your German-connection's model.
I also checked out your own website.
Pretty cool. Both your site and theirs.
Clearly they've found a market. Good luck to them.

So you're a steadicam operator, eh?
I'm very familiar with the steadicam. Great product.

Seeing as you use their handsfree model for your work, I trust you certainly know its utility.
It appears that it might not be necessary for us to improve on previous designs...
From the looks of it, I might be sold on their design already.

I just sent them an email (even though it was listed as "rental(at)handsfree-transporter.com")

Do you know what they charge for their i2 frame?
i.e. Just the vertical member with the knee-cups.......... I don't need the steadicam supports/accessories.

Glad I checked you out!

Michael
Old 09-04-2008, 12:53 PM   #23
MiamiBeachPatrol

5 yr Member

Karl,

You might be interested in checking them out.
They've already found an apparently happy niche market... might save you a lot of time and energy.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:29 PM   #24
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiBeachPatrol View Post
Karl,

You might be interested in checking them out.
They've already found an apparently happy niche market... might save you a lot of time and energy.

At your suggestion, I have checked out both sites... Very nice.

Still, the idea is in the public domain. I have seen handsfree segways since the 2004 segwayfest. (which by the way, makes the idea not patentable, even if the hardware is...)

It is nice that they want to try to claim ownership of this concept, but it simply is not so.

They do seem to have a nice looking, clean looking handsfree knee gripping addition to the stock segway... good for them.

It will not affect my segway at all...

Part of my issue, since I have been now riding handsfree, is that handsfree is not for me in all circumstances... Rough terrain, full on 12.5 mph for long glides, and other considerations have lead me to want to have both the option of a handlebar for my hands, and a leg steer unit...

I will work a bit more over the next few days and weeks, and they need not worry, mine will not infringe on any possible pattent they have on that equipment. As for the idea, my address is in my profile, and they can contact me directly if they want to sue me...

I do not begrudge them the want to protect their products, but some things are just not doable...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:32 PM   #25
JBeattie
JBeattie is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Reinhard's stearing control is 3000-4000 euro's. I think. You'ld have to double check with them.

Its far beyond cutting a post. the base post is built and welded like a tank. And the top saddle controls are strong and highly adjustable. The leather saddles are really comfy.

I posted some behind the scenes of a movie I am working on in another thread here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JBeattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:36 PM   #26
JBeattie

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
At your suggestion, I have checked out both sites... Very nice.

Still, the idea is in the public domain. I have seen handsfree segways since the 2004 segwayfest. (which by the way, makes the idea not patentable, even if the hardware is...)

It is nice that they want to try to claim ownership of this concept, but it simply is not so.

They do seem to have a nice looking, clean looking handsfree knee gripping addition to the stock segway... good for them.

It will not affect my segway at all...

Part of my issue, since I have been now riding handsfree, is that handsfree is not for me in all circumstances... Rough terrain, full on 12.5 mph for long glides, and other considerations have lead me to want to have both the option of a handlebar for my hands, and a leg steer unit...

I will work a bit more over the next few days and weeks, and they need not worry, mine will not infringe on any possible pattent they have on that equipment. As for the idea, my address is in my profile, and they can contact me directly if they want to sue me...

I do not begrudge them the want to protect their products, but some things are just not doable...

Ulrick and Reinhard developed handsfree units 4 or 5 years ago. They did it for the gen 1's. Gen 1 had the paddle controls for turning.

Like I said if you a do it yourselfer do whatever you want.

But if one thinks they can market the unit themselves. Thats were a conflict can come up.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:52 PM   #27
KSagal
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBeattie View Post
Ulrick and Reinhard developed handsfree units 4 or 5 years ago. They did it for the gen 1's. Gen 1 had the paddle controls for turning.

Like I said if you a do it yourselfer do whatever you want.

But if one thinks they can market the unit themselves. Thats were a conflict can come up.

I do not want to argue with you about this... I wish them luck with their projects...

But at the same time, do not think I have not been around this stuff for several years myself...

You cannot patent that which is already in the public domain.

I do not know the date of their patent. If you publish it, I will honestly tell you if I saw a working hands free unit before that or not... Either way, I have seen many home built units, that did not infringe on that same idea...

If a person modifies an existing patented something, it does not preclude a different person from buying that same patented something, and also modifying it. Even if both products seem similar, there is no infringement if they are truly developed with no knowledge of the other...

I do not have any plans to commercially develop this idea anyway, but that is not the point... I will not tolerate someone coming into my little world and say that something that I created was inappropriate because someone else that I did not know about did a similar thing...

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:12 PM   #28
JBeattie

5 yr Member

I'm not looking to get into an argument. I respect everyone in this communitty. I am new to the forum only been here a few months.

Here's a link to the first discussion about the Handsfree Transporter from 10/05. Note that it is stated that it was 2 years of development at that point.

http://www.steadicamforum.com/forums...ee+transporter

Not knowing that someone else has developed a similar idea to one you have. Gets you no where when they hold a patent. Yes you can patent an idea. You have 17years to build market and can go after anyone who is infringing on it.

This has happend with the boys at Segway and it was an ongoing issue for years with Garret Brown (inventor of the Steadicam) as well.

http://steadicam-ops.com/ also has a copy of the video from 10/05 the first public use of the handsfree transporter with Steadicam.

When you read about ulik and reinhard you know they were using it for live music and comedy acts for awhile before Steadicam got into the mix.

Like I said I respect everyone here. I know you are a bigtime poster and that you are very active in your world. I'm not trying to rock the boat. Just passing along some info.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:18 PM   #29
JBeattie

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiBeachPatrol View Post
Hey Jon Beattie.......... I just checked out your German-connection's model.
I also checked out your own website.
Pretty cool. Both your site and theirs.
Clearly they've found a market. Good luck to them.

So you're a steadicam operator, eh?
I'm very familiar with the steadicam. Great product.

Seeing as you use their handsfree model for your work, I trust you certainly know its utility.
It appears that it might not be necessary for us to improve on previous designs...
From the looks of it, I might be sold on their design already.

I just sent them an email (even though it was listed as "rental(at)handsfree-transporter.com")

Do you know what they charge for their i2 frame?
i.e. Just the vertical member with the knee-cups.......... I don't need the steadicam supports/accessories.

Glad I checked you out!

Michael
Yeah when I roll into set people can't get enough of it. I let most people that ask to try try it. Its a great tool that saves me a lot of energy.

The way I did it was I purchased my x2 from segway in DC (they were great Steve's the man). Then got the lean control and hardmount from Germany.

Works out best for your pocket that way.

The lean control goes on with the same bolt system that comes stock.

here's a link to my youtude page with some behind the scenes stuff
http://es.youtube.com/user/JBeattieSteadiway

Old 09-05-2008, 12:00 AM   #30
KSagal

JBeattie, We do not have to agree on this...

Thank you for the information. These surely are interesting modifications and devices... I again wish you luck with your projects...