SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Videos and Podcasts

Notices

Videos and Podcasts For all Segway-related multimedia posts, music, podcasts, videos, etc.

Old 02-10-2007, 12:15 AM   #21
Segway Shawn
Segway Shawn can only hope to improve

5 yr Member
Angry Segway image

Segway inc promotes, and is "safety first" always. We know that, we also know that people that ride Segways are sometimes seen as "Geeks" "Kooks" "Nerds" etc, etc. Why is that? because as dealers we market "Safety" redundantly.

Price, and the "safety" points have made it a "Not so fun" transportation device. Mostly being used by adults going to work, or advertising, or wearing orange vests and looking like a bunch of ducks in a row following the leader on some sort of tour. How fun! We all know it really is fun, it just looks goofy.

As dealers we need to market to the "extreme" consumer the same way we market to the "mobility minded" users, and the commercial users.

We at Segway New Mexico realize that safety is an issue for every Segway Dealer, we promote safety...we tell people the machine is not made for this, don't try this or that. We also make sure we film in areas that are clear of pedestrians, on sunday mornings etc.

We are in a Segway friendly state with a Governor and Mayor that not only uses and promotes the use of Segway, they approve of the Segway being used in the cities, parks, and bike paths in a way to help promote tourism.

There is not a "jackASS" stunt in the whole video.

Ok, Whos next?....Whatch You Ghat? C'mon...there are lots of people like use out there with cameras and music. Dig it out, upload it and show the world how Segways are COOL!

I am going to go cut up some clips right now.....and post one. Thats right....I did not post it on Youtube, but I am putting them on our webstite in the next few days. Thats how someone got there hands on it a bit early.

Hope people enjoy it and post some of there own. I would love to see what everyone else has going on in their area. I here there is a XT track out in Missouri somewhere. Shoot some video....people.

Oops...My point for this long post, Jon Stevens from Segway inc is shown on Youtube dropping off a 36" ledge, thats about 6" more than us....Damn.

I love Segway and want to show it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Albuquerque & Santa Fe
(505) 244-1420

Last edited by Segway Shawn; 02-10-2007 at 12:28 AM.. Reason: for fun!
Segway Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 01:01 AM   #22
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Seems to me that over the last week I've seen a lot of automobile videos showing driving that would be unsafe for the average driver - or even impossible (like the Edge commercial) - or "do not try this at home". I haven't seen a lot of complaints about that. Much less somebody trying to use those commercials to ban automobiles.

Regarding riding XTs (and X2s) on sidewalks: in New Mexico, Segways are considered pedestrians, and are permitted to travel on sidewalks and bicycle paths as well as roadways. Regardless of what Segway Inc says about "intended use", I don't want (and I doubt that anybody else wants) the government to try to distinguish between what's permitted for an I2 and what's permitted for an XT or X2.

Now, having said that - it's clearly a matter of common sense, courtesy, and safety. In many places in this state, the only reasonable and safe place to ride may be the sidewalk - regardless of what model Segway I'm on. Please come ride a few miles with us ("in our shoes"), and judge for yourself. And if I'm not inconveniencing or endangering other occupants of the sidewalk (common courtesy), I don't see a real problem.

And when Shawn says he's committed to safety - it's not just idle chatter. My wife and I are experienced owner/riders of two XTs. Some time ago, we rode an X2 and ordered two. This week, we picked the X2s up from Shawn at Segway NM. He said "bring your helmets and we'll do a cruise around the park" - and after a quick-but-thorough orientation, and our promise to view the safety DVD when we got back home, Shawn accompanied us for about 3/4 hour to make sure we were riding safely. He would not have let us leave with them, if he had any doubts.
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 07:37 AM   #23
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

No one was hurt. There was no near misses. No one frightened, startled, forced off a pavement etc. The people in the video were having fun - and the risk was at their expense. It is a video of extreme segging behaviour, by some "brave" souls. Everyone loves to see this stuff. For years, you've been able to buy videos of stunts and no one has ever used, to my knowledge, such "evidence" to ban anything.

"Stupid is what stupid does." Whether that be on a Segway, Car, bicycle, motorbike. You can't prevent it from happening. People will find a way to do stupid/fun stuff with things - any things in fact!

Hopefully the video will attract people to the x2 product, which, afterall, is an off-road recreational vehicle.

Dealers, when you demo the x2's capabilities, do you not try and show what it is capable of? I bet you don't go that extreme, and sure, you almost certainly won't be doing any hands-free drops, but you know what I'm saying. Remember the Segway video showing the XT dropping a few feet and going one wheel off a log? And, I don't recall such remarks being made against Derek Hugger's extreme Segway stunts. All were fun to watch but I don't think I'd try them myself.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:16 PM   #24
Majestic
Majestic is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Shawn,

Great video. Makes me want an X2 also. Thanks for sharing.

Fred
Majestic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 08:02 PM   #25
slowride
slowride is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member
Wink I knew they were having fun but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNPHX View Post
Now if this was done in front of city hall then I could understand the concern.
actually, I think that is City Hall in the snow scene.

As the wife and mother of this bunch, and after watching this video, I have just one concern...

I need to look into better insurance and our agent can never see it.
slowride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 07:03 AM   #26
Worm
Worm is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Wow, really cool video.
Worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 09:41 PM   #27
slowride
slowride is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Actually, this video is much better. We're looking for the best 30 seconds to cut out and use for a local commercial. For some reason it got moved to videos but I think it should be under buy & sell.

slowride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:15 PM   #28
safety1st
safety1st will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default Segway authorized tour?

Tom here is where "Segway authorized tours" is working. Notice on Inc's web site who is authorized and who IS NOT?

David

Last edited by safety1st; 02-14-2007 at 12:17 AM..
safety1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 12:01 AM   #29
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by safety1st View Post
Tom here where "Segway authorized tours" is working. Notice on Inc's web site who is authorized and who IS NOT?

David
http://www.segway.com/tours/

Washington DC? Anywhere in Texas?
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 12:22 AM   #30
safety1st
safety1st will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default Soon

Soon in Dallas and Austin. But one of the requirements under Segways operating rules is we are not allowed to have photos or videos of any rider without a helmet.

David
safety1st is offline   Reply With Quote