SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Videos and Podcasts

Notices

Videos and Podcasts For all Segway-related multimedia posts, music, podcasts, videos, etc.

Old 12-09-2007, 05:04 AM   #11
DarthSegVator
DarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default Move On!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Seg View Post
I wish they would un-implement it. Depending on whose analysis you read, YouTube is either the first or the second biggest user of bandwidth in the world.

As a person who works in the bandwidth optimization arena (yes, different business) I love it (makes me $$$$) but man does it slow down the internet and when I'm browsing on my Blackberry or on a slow connection it just mucks things up!

What most people tend to forget is that not everybody has broadband, in fact a minority worldwide have broadband or even a semblance thereof.

Steven
If you have a problem with this...fine.

Others don't. There is no need to "ban" something simply because it doesn't work for you.

Skip over the thread or don't play the video.

Your choice. Personally, I think it's kinda neat and I like it.
DarthSegVator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 05:54 AM   #12
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSegVator View Post
If you have a problem with this...fine.

Others don't. There is no need to "ban" something simply because it doesn't work for you.

Skip over the thread or don't play the video.

Your choice. Personally, I think it's kinda neat and I like it.
My goodness. Who died and made you "ruler"? I didn't ask for a ban, I stated my opinion just have you have just stated yours. Or is it that I can't state my opinion if it doesn't agree with yours?

Why does everything on SegwayChat have to evolve into a negative?

Geez...

Steven
Desert_Seg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 06:25 PM   #13
Five-Flags
Five-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quade View Post
... Perhaps at some under-engineered facility, but certainly not system wide.
I think the point Steven is making is that system-wide the system IS under-engineered; no-one could have predicted the explosive growth. So now, everyone is trying desperately to keep up with demand.

It's not so simple as saying "add more" -- I work for a local government and we're busily trying to predict what our needs will be in three years in order to get them budgeted for City Council to approve. (Anyone got a good crystal ball they can spare???) Most large corporations also have a two-to-three year lead time for large acquisitions.

You can't just think "I'll get this, and then get more later if I need it". If you go back to Council for more, it's "Why didn't you get what you needed the last time?"

The infrastructure is growing, but do you see at&t going out and replacing every home phoneline with 1 Gb fiber to the demarc by 2011? 100Gb to the Central Offices?

It is coming, but slowly - as demand and finances allow.
Five-Flags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:55 PM   #14
hellphish
hellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Seg View Post
Yes and no. The link uses slightly more bandwidth as an image of the same size but that's not the real point. The issue is the total bandwidth consumption

I don't have the numbers in front of my but, for math's sake let's say that "average" size is 100K. That is 100K that is shot out every time somebody opens that post (it is not cached locally on your PC).

You then multiply that times the the number of views and you have a large number.

Let's take your Segway Video Classics post. It has four (4) embedded links and has been viewed 81 times:

4 x 100K x 81 = 32.4 MB

Not a lot unless you are Frank Tropea and are hosting the site out of your own pocket and have bandwidth charges to pay for the embedded link! (most don't, btw as it is just a pointer). Of course, if you are on a non-broadband account you are looking at a slow load abut disabling the autoplay function is a great touch.

Now, let's take the flipside, which is that 1/2 those people click on the link. If I remember correctly the average YouTube vide is just over 6.1 MB in size....

4 x 6.1 x 40 = 976 MB just streamed across the internet thanks to YouTube (and you ).

The point is that the viral nature of YouTube is killing the internet. As of June of this year YouTube accounted for 20% of all HTTP traffic (equal to 10% of all network traffic). Read that again....one company, one site, one application accounts for 10% of all traffic.

More numbers:

As of June YouTube was serving approx 100,000,000 (yep, 100 MILLION) videos a day. Average size, 6.1MB, that is 610,000,000 MB a day or 595.7 TB a day...every single day of the year.

Based on current worldwide network size, a constant growth rate in users, and the ever increasing downloads via HTTP (most often termed recreational downloads) there are strong indications that for many the internet will slow to a crawl between 2010 and 2012.

We proved how important controlling recreational internet at the local campus of a US college. In a matter of hours we were able to control the flow of P2P, YouTube, and Facebook (the three worst offenders on the net) and cut their bandwidth consumption by greater than 70%...saving them more than 55GB a day. Sure, some of the students aren't happy but...who's paying the bandwidth bill?

Anyway, I need to jump off my bandwagon here. I could go on forever.

Steven
Responding to the bolded: What are you talking about? The whole point of embedding youtube is so that Frank DOESN'T pay for hosting videos. You seem to understand that but you have a strange (and long) way of saying it.
hellphish is offline   Reply With Quote