SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 10-04-2002, 11:33 AM   #11
Seeker
Seeker

5 yr Member

There seems to be general consensus that helmets shouldn't be mandatory for adult Segway riders. As far as the comparison between a jogger and a Segway rider, I think it holds true somewhat, but I think that with jogging, you are in pretty much constant contact with the pavement. So if you begin to lose your balance, there is the ability to control yourself more easily. On a Segway, if you should fall from it, you are falling a distance, albeit a small one, and I think that when you fall at 12mph, it may not always be possible to land in such a way as to prevent considerable injury.

On the topic of helmets, there's this commmercial I used to see which showed a series of pictures. On the first picture it has a kid with a bike helmet, on the second it shows the dad without one, then on the third it shows a kid without a helmet, and then the caption reads something like,'The evolution of an accident', or something like that. I think the commercial did an effective job with the 'learn from example idea'. So my feelings would still be that while helmets for adults on Segways should not be mandatory, it would be a good idea to encourage this practice.

Seeker
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 03:13 PM   #12
dupa
dupa

5 yr Member

There is no question helmets reduce injuries and healthcare costs. However, the Harley crowd has very effectively turned the whole thing into a freedom of choice issue, with tremendous success, after a lot of organizing. These are the "IN" scooterheads right now, and they've got things their way.

I made a biker video in 1989..."Harley Rendezvous 1989", you can still order it at www.harleyrendezvous.com. I directed it, wrote parts, did many of the interviews, and a lot of the camerawork. My first scooter experience. They're still getting $30 for it. I'm not into the Harley scene, it was a job I fell into( I sit down at a bar in Manchester, a women I don't even remember is next to me and says the guy she is with needs someone to make a video of a big biker party in New York. I'm thinkin', surrrrre, bring my expensive equipment to a dusty, blasted group of roudy bikers partying for four days straight? I asked her, "do you know what they have in the budget for this four day event?" She said "I thinks it's five thousand dollars." I said, "You know, I've always wanted to make a biker video!" ) It's still selling.
dupa is offline   Reply With Quote