SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 10-03-2002, 01:45 PM   #1
n/a
n/a is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member
Default Pandora's box?

It seems that a battle for the sidewalks and paths is being unleased by Segway. So far the lines are being drawn between Segways and pedestrians. Segway lobbyists has been very carefull to ensure that only vehicles with Segway's unique features will be allowed on sidewalks. So far so good. Segway is the only dynamically stabilizing vehicle with a small footprint around. Has Segway has opened a Pandora's box? Will other vehicle manufacturers be soon coming out with similar vehicles that have Segway's characteristics with regard to balance and safety and perhaps have a more affordable pricetag? Will these manufacturers be demanding that their vehicles also be allowed on sidewalks and paths? Will the sidewalks be overrun by such vehicles? Will it be necessary to set up some sort of special vehicle testing/certification scheme to establish standards for what vehicles will qualify for sidewalks use?

Will that lead to positive change if it happens? Will these types of vehicles create demands for more sidewalks space and paths?
n/a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 03:14 PM   #2
JohnM
JohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

If there $$$ to be made, 'yes' to all.

Positive change? One man's positive is another's negative. Haven't we seen enough examples of that just in discussing Segway? Change is change. It happens every day and there's no stopping it. The world as we know it ended when we woke up this morning. The best you can hope for is to somehow influence the inevitable change to benefit your point of view. Just be careful what you ask for.

http://www.gate.net/~madonia/monkeypa.htm
JohnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 03:37 PM   #3
n/a
n/a is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Welcome to Segwaychat JohnM.

Quote:
quote:Positive change? One man's positive is another's negative.
I dont positive/negative change is as subjective as u seem to suggest, generally speaking. Specifically, with regard to the Segway, sidewalks and transportation, I still think that Segway may help change our attitudes and views with regard to short distance transportation. As to wheter the consequences lead to less cars on the road, cleaner air, etc. or to Segway congested sidewalks and more obesity remains to be seen.

I still remain convinced that Kamen is not primarily out for $$$. As to the rest of the people involved in the Segway project, I am not so sure. Not that there is anything wrong with the profit motive... only when the motive overrides other values. I would be very dissappointed if Kamen fabricated the stuff about his vision to improve the world.

As far as change happening all around us at an accelerated pace, I know that Kamen is deeply aware of it and he is doing what he can to influence the direction and impact of that change.

Segway may be the catalizator for a change in modes of transportation. The consequences remain to be seen, but I think that the Segway's potential to make a positive impact is greater than it's potential for the negative.
n/a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 05:17 PM   #4
JohnM
JohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

I'll agree that Kamen is not out just for the money, at least not as a simple accumulation of wealth, status and power.
Example: He has stated publicly that he hopes Segway becomes so successful so he can bring the regional FIRST competition back to its roots in Manchester. It all started here, but quickly outgrew the local facilities and sponsors. Currently the New England competition is held in Harford and sponsored by United Technologies. Now that Manchester has a new civic arena, Kamen's dream is that Segway LLC will be able to someday provide the money to underwrite the regionals. FIRST is what is driving him at this stage of his career. The NG tv show a couple weeks back made that clear.

However, if the EPAMD concept really takes off, you can bet that there will be plenty of others with less noble goals wanting a piece of the action.
JohnM is offline   Reply With Quote