SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 11-07-2006, 01:24 AM   #1
Billy Kirkland
Billy Kirkland is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default The New X2 Golf

I had the chance to try the new X2 Golf today. It sure is sweet to ride with the wide tires and the new LeanSteer ™. I will be at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Resort in Naples at the Segway hospitality and display areas for the next 5 days. We will have the x2 for people to try. I will give more info latter when I take it for real test run. Here is some info about the golf event.

The Tournament is sponsored by Merrill Lynch.

Greg Norman Productions manages the Shootout including the hospitality and display areas
www.mlshootout.com

WCI will be giving away an x2 Golf unit at the end of the week for their VIP entrants.

A “closest to the pin” on the 8th hole during the Pro Am will win an x2 Golf unit – The unit will be on display at the 8th green
A foursome of Pro-Am players is tentatively scheduled to use x2 Golf units during the Tuesday practice round and during the Pro-am on Wednesday and Thursday.
Two Segway Employees will accompany them.
Golf Launch Media / VIP Event

Court of Palms
Monday, Nov. 6
3:00 – 5:00 PM
Executive Presentation followed by Riding and Demo Stations
2:30 Jim and Jason Arrive
3:00 Welcome / Introduction - Jim Norrod, CEO
3:10 Jason Barton, VP Sales
3:25 Gary Wilcox, GM - Tiburon CC
3:35 Jason - Wrap-up
3:45 – 5:00 Demo Stations / Riding
Billy Kirkland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 09:43 AM   #2
Florida Ever-Glides
Florida Ever-Glides will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee

Janey and I are going on Wednesday...
Old 11-07-2006, 11:57 AM   #3
Otto Orive
Otto Orive is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Kirkland View Post
I had the chance to try the new X2 Golf today. It sure is sweet to ride with the wide tires and the new LeanSteer ™. I will be at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Resort in Naples at the Segway hospitality and display areas for the next 5 days. We will have the x2 for people to try. I will give more info latter when I take it for real test run. Here is some info about the golf event.

The Tournament is sponsored by Merrill Lynch.

Greg Norman Productions manages the Shootout including the hospitality and display areas
www.mlshootout.com

WCI will be giving away an x2 Golf unit at the end of the week for their VIP entrants.

A “closest to the pin” on the 8th hole during the Pro Am will win an x2 Golf unit – The unit will be on display at the 8th green
A foursome of Pro-Am players is tentatively scheduled to use x2 Golf units during the Tuesday practice round and during the Pro-am on Wednesday and Thursday.
Two Segway Employees will accompany them.
Golf Launch Media / VIP Event

Court of Palms
Monday, Nov. 6
3:00 – 5:00 PM
Executive Presentation followed by Riding and Demo Stations
2:30 Jim and Jason Arrive
3:00 Welcome / Introduction - Jim Norrod, CEO
3:10 Jason Barton, VP Sales
3:25 Gary Wilcox, GM - Tiburon CC
3:35 Jason - Wrap-up
3:45 – 5:00 Demo Stations / Riding
I have been waiting for the x2Golf. I am interested specially to know if a bad handicapp golf player, playing militar way, right left, will have no troubles completing 18 holes in a golf course with a lot, I mean a lot, of hills.
Thanks for any information
Otto Orive
Otto Orive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 01:58 PM   #4
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player
Default Otto's obsession with range

I've been holding my tongue for months (though I think back in August I did vent with a "JUST GO BUY A GT!"). And I know how new buyers are always obsessing about one unanswerable question or another. I was once a new buyer too (and my obsession was about figuring out how much life was left in a pair of used NiMH batteries).

But here's the realities...sometimes you just gotta go for it knowing that there'll be some hassles in the future. Be assured that you won't be the only one struggling with whatever obstacle you encounter, and you have a whole community here in Segway Chat who'll be working right along side of you figuring out how to work around whatever obstacle pops up. I'm sure Segway INC and their engineers are also doing the same thing, but to be honest, I put my faith in the tinkerers here on SC! Besides, the tinkerers come up with cheaper solutions quicker...

During my self imposed silence on commenting your situation, I may have come up with a cheap and effective solution for you. If you bought that prototype golf frame (that wrapped around the both sides of the segway I think) on Ebay last month for $300 along with a spare set of used NiMH batteries for $200, then one of the $1550 used NiMH i180's (with another $50 for a pair of OEM ETT-like tires that you mount yourself or with help from someone here in Segway Chat) would give you a GT for $2100. Spend another $100 figuring out a cargo solution so you can carry your spare NiMH with you, and now you have 20 mile range and positively could finish 18 holes on a VERY unique segway which would be nicely balanced with golf clubs on one side and 20 pounds of batteries on the other! (I'm assuming you're ok with swapping batteries in the middle of 18 holes on the rare occasion where you'd need to get that extra battery power from the spare NiMH.)

You also have the option of either picking up a third set of used NiMH (like I have) for $200 or a set of used Li-Ions for $1250 if somewhere along the line you find you need more power/range. At the moment, with the x2, there's only one option to get longer range. Buy a new pair of Li-Ions for $1600 (plus tax and shipping). At some point in the future old used Li-Ions will be upgradable to be used on x2's, but there's no specific date when this battery upgrade will be available (nor how much it'll cost).

I will point out that while the NiMH are your "insurance", you need to be aware of how battery performance degrades with temperature. I hate to feed your fears, but if you played the 18 holes at 6AM when it's just above freezing, you're going to see reduced range as compared to if you played the same 18 holes at noon.

ps - When I go long distance gliding and I'm concerned about how much "juice" a hill is going to take out of my batteries, I just get off and power assist up a hill. Now I have a lower cargo system and I'll readily admit that power assisting with alot of weight in the bags (40 pounds) is a bit tougher than usual. But my point is that you have options (other than a spare set of NiMH) on how to handle things if your batteries are running low in the middle of 18 holes.

With an x2, you don't have the power assist alternative...oops, I may have just found something else for you to obsess on! 8^) 8^) 8^)

Last edited by polo_pro; 11-07-2006 at 02:20 PM..
polo_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:55 PM   #5
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plomoh View Post
...With an x2, you don't have the power assist alternative...oops, I may have just found something else for you to obsess on! 8^) 8^) 8^)
WRONG. Both the Gen 1 and Gen 2 have power assist, it is just packaged differently.

Everybody knows the Gen 1 PA but some folks don't quite understand it on the Gen 2.

On the Gen 2 you put it into RBM and by pulling or pushing on the LSF you have PA, and I use it all the time so I know it is there and it works.

Steven
Desert_Seg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:55 PM   #6
Otto Orive
Otto Orive is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plomoh View Post
I've been holding my tongue for months (though I think back in August I did vent with a "JUST GO BUY A GT!"). And I know how new buyers are always obsessing about one unanswerable question or another. I was once a new buyer too (and my obsession was about figuring out how much life was left in a pair of used NiMH batteries).

But here's the realities...sometimes you just gotta go for it knowing that there'll be some hassles in the future. Be assured that you won't be the only one struggling with whatever obstacle you encounter, and you have a whole community here in Segway Chat who'll be working right along side of you figuring out how to work around whatever obstacle pops up. I'm sure Segway INC and their engineers are also doing the same thing, but to be honest, I put my faith in the tinkerers here on SC! Besides, the tinkerers come up with cheaper solutions quicker...

During my self imposed silence on commenting your situation, I may have come up with a cheap and effective solution for you. If you bought that prototype golf frame (that wrapped around the both sides of the segway I think) on Ebay last month for $300 along with a spare set of used NiMH batteries for $200, then one of the $1550 used NiMH i180's (with another $50 for a pair of OEM ETT-like tires that you mount yourself or with help from someone here in Segway Chat) would give you a GT for $2100. Spend another $100 figuring out a cargo solution so you can carry your spare NiMH with you, and now you have 20 mile range and positively could finish 18 holes on a VERY unique segway which would be nicely balanced with golf clubs on one side and 20 pounds of batteries on the other! (I'm assuming you're ok with swapping batteries in the middle of 18 holes on the rare occasion where you'd need to get that extra battery power from the spare NiMH.)

You also have the option of either picking up a third set of used NiMH (like I have) for $200 or a set of used Li-Ions for $1250 if somewhere along the line you find you need more power/range. At the moment, with the x2, there's only one option to get longer range. Buy a new pair of Li-Ions for $1600 (plus tax and shipping). At some point in the future old used Li-Ions will be upgradable to be used on x2's, but there's no specific date when this battery upgrade will be available (nor how much it'll cost).

I will point out that while the NiMH are your "insurance", you need to be aware of how battery performance degrades with temperature. I hate to feed your fears, but if you played the 18 holes at 6AM when it's just above freezing, you're going to see reduced range as compared to if you played the same 18 holes at noon.

ps - When I go long distance gliding and I'm concerned about how much "juice" a hill is going to take out of my batteries, I just get off and power assist up a hill. Now I have a lower cargo system and I'll readily admit that power assisting with alot of weight in the bags (40 pounds) is a bit tougher than usual. But my point is that you have options (other than a spare set of NiMH) on how to handle things if your batteries are running low in the middle of 18 holes.

With an x2, you don't have the power assist alternative...oops, I may have just found something else for you to obsess on! 8^) 8^) 8^)
Do you call obsession to worry about spending close to 7000.00 for something that you are going to use only to play golf and not to be able to finish 18 holes with still some power to take it back to your car?
I am sorry, but I really do not.
The changes in range that Segway announced for the x2 worry me a lot!
Any way, thank you for your nice reply.
Time will tell
Otto
Otto Orive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 05:16 PM   #7
dgbint
dgbint will become famous soon enoughdgbint will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Smile

Hi Otto

Of course your questions are reasonable.

The original GT completed almost 2 complete 18 hole rounds with an average mass glider on an average course.
So the likelihood of meeting your requirements, 18 holes on a tough course is excellent.

There will probably be a course offering GT rentals somewhere near you, in the foreseeable future.
Maybe somebody here can keep an eye out for this.
Perhaps rent one for a day, and satisfy yourself that the machine meets your needs.
Heck, even if you spend a couple of hundred on an air fare to somewhere not too far away, to rent one for a round, you can have a brief holiday as a bonus.

Good Luck
Michael
dgbint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 05:51 PM   #8
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player
Default Intestinal fortitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Orive View Post
Do you call obsession to worry about spending close to 7000.00 for something that you are going to use only to play golf and not to be able to finish 18 holes with still some power to take it back to your car?
I am sorry, but I really do not.
The changes in range that Segway announced for the x2 worry me a lot!
Any way, thank you for your nice reply.
Time will tell
Otto
Well to be fair, I've never had to make as big a decision as you're considering. My segway only cost me $2500. And as I said, I obsessed on battery life because back then all we had were really expensive NiMH. Maybe if I'd been shopping for a new segway at twice the cost of what I paid, I'd have hesitated even more to the point of not making the purchase.

But hey, I did end up saying to myself "go for it"...and I put my faith in my fellow readers here at Segway Chat to guide me through any difficult times. With a community as large as this one, there's always someone out there who'll be able to advise you in almost any matter involving segways!

(I like that suggestion of finding a golf course that regularly rents GTs and buying a plane ticket so you can play a few rounds of golf there over a long weekend. That's a much smaller investment, and the experience should finally convince you to take the plunge.)

ps - I've done activities even more obscure and unique than trying to use a segway on a golf course. I tied a trailer to the back of my segway, loaded it with 100 pounds of batteries and chargers, reserved hotels every 40 miles down the California coast and then took a week and a half to ride 372 miles solo without a chase car. I'm not trying to brag, nor am I trying to slam you...I'm trying to say I attempted this after asking LOTS of questions right here on Segway Chat. And while no one could speak directly from similar experiences of their own, each of them gave me a little knowledge which when combined with some test glides told me that I could take on this challenge!

OK, I'll shut up now and go back into silent mode (for only this topic...come on guys, do you really think I'd stop posting when I'm this close to being a Senior Member?) for a few months.

Last edited by polo_pro; 11-07-2006 at 05:57 PM..
polo_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 11:41 AM   #9
heyewe
heyewe is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Question Course(s) that rent the X2 Golf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbint View Post
Hi Otto

Of course your questions are reasonable.

The original GT completed almost 2 complete 18 hole rounds with an average mass glider on an average course.
So the likelihood of meeting your requirements, 18 holes on a tough course is excellent.

There will probably be a course offering GT rentals somewhere near you, in the foreseeable future.
Maybe somebody here can keep an eye out for this.
Perhaps rent one for a day, and satisfy yourself that the machine meets your needs.
Heck, even if you spend a couple of hundred on an air fare to somewhere not too far away, to rent one for a round, you can have a brief holiday as a bonus.

Good Luck
Michael
Is anyone aware of a golf course that rents the X2 Golf? I've looked and I can't find one. I've even contacted the NGF with this question (they didn't know of any).
heyewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 09:15 PM   #10
Florida Ever-Glides
Florida Ever-Glides will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee

Met with Billy today at the golf tournament. They had 5 X2 golf units . They're great to ride. Even got a segway hat that says " save a cart, use a Segway". And, I got Fred Couples to autograph it!

Tomorrow we get our new XT's. Can't wait to take them to the beach and have some fun...