SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:07 AM   #1
SEGsby
SEGsby will become famous soon enoughSEGsby will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default Double Robotics Segway / iPad Robot

Need to be in more than one place at a time, anywhere in the world? How about a Telepresence Robot, from DoubleRobotics? They've combined the functionality of a minimal, remotely controlled Segway, with the Camera, Display and Connectivity of an iPad:

http://www.doublerobotics.com/

http://techland.time.com/2012/08/14/...resence-robot/

Cheers!
SEGsby
SEGsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:39 PM   #2
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

It looks pretty cool, and like a lot of fun!

But will enough people find it $2000 worth of useful and/or fun?

Maybe people with active minds trapped in bodies trapped in beds?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:28 PM   #3
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

The double robot does seem kind of cool, but the cynical me wonders, if you have your ipad in this unit on the other side of the world, what would stop someone from just walking up to it, and taking your ipad? For that matter, what would stop them from taking the whole thing, since it only weighs 15 pounds, and costs $2K. Seems like a relative easy payday for someone who wants to pick it up and walk away...

You dial up your skype call to your double in the Louvre, trying to view some spectacular art, instead see the inside of a storeroom of some Parisian named Louie, and the 6 other doubles there, as well as an assortment of stolen televisions and some pick pocketed wallets and some guy's watch.

I suppose if you happen to be lucky enough to observe Louie stealing your double, I suppose you can make it yell out, "Help, I am being stolen!"

I will add this idea to my signature. I suspect that well done is also better than well seen.

All that said, it is kind of an interesting technology.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:13 AM   #4
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Thumbs up Wow

Wow - thanks for posting this SEGsby. Good to see you back on here.

This looks awesome to me. I guess you don't need to own them yourselves, locations will have them and you just pay to connect into them. Of course, you could have one yourself - but if a museum or University or somewhere already had them, you book them out. Totally cool.

BUT - big shame they just use the iPad. Surely they need an app across several platforms. If it only works with iPads, I can never be a customer. But if they open it up to other tablets or PCs with webcams etc., theres a much bigger market.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:15 PM   #5
unterhausen
unterhausen is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

you can drive our segway robots from across the world, but I don't think it's a good idea

I have been a little concerned about students breaking into them over wireless, but I haven't seen any evidence of that. There is quite a bit of security for an outside person to break into the university network, but it isn't foolproof. With a network this big, there are definitely holes that can be exploited.
unterhausen is offline   Reply With Quote