SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 09-10-2016, 07:05 PM   #1
Gene Barlowe
Gene Barlowe is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Amtrak Segway policy.

My wife and I are retired and are considering some Amtrak excursions. Is anyone familiar with their Segway policy? It's a little complicated because I have a handicap placard that frequently opens doors for me but my wife doesn't. Obviously we need to be allowed to take both Segways on our trips. Is Amtrak out or is there a way to make this work? Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
Gene Barlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:07 PM   #2
ions82
ions82

5 yr Member

Interesting idea. I have been considering taking the Amtrak to visit family. Being able to travel with the Segway would be a strong selling point for taking the rail. Then again, I've been a wheelchair user for the last 15-years, so I have no idea how I'd fare going Seg-only when travelling from home. Guess there's only one way to find out. This fall, I will be travelling with both. So, maybe I'll get a good idea.

Is there a way you guys could take a short "test-trip" to see if they get the green light? The only time I've taken the Amtrak from here, the train was nearly empty (and the ticket was only $19). I can't imagine that there would be much fuss if there is plenty of space available on the car you're in. Are there AC outlets in the cars that can be used for charging? I didn't look for any the time I rode. With a little planning ahead, I think I might be able to go on some pretty cool trips via Amtrak and Segway. Great idea!
ions82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:41 AM   #3
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

From Amtrak's website

Quote:
Online Accessible Travel Request Limitations

Amtrak.com does not currently offer the ability to make any of the following accessible travel requests:

Service animals
Special meals
Travel with oxygen equipment
Passengers who require refrigerated medication
Use of Segway personal transporters

To make reservations for accessible travel requests not available through Amtrak.com, call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245) or TTY 1-800-523-6590. Agents are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
It used to be (~2007) that Amtrak did not allow Segways aboard, but this information suggests that perhaps that has changed. You have to call them, rather than using the website. Good luck!
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:47 AM   #4
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Wow no service animals?....There is a law suit waiting to happen!

Good info thanks!
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:53 PM   #5
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Can't do it on amtrak.com.

You have to call them.
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 10:55 AM   #6
dudeman1961
dudeman1961 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Segway on Amtrak

YES, AS A MOBILITY DEVICE it can be done. My wife and I traveled from Salinas to Portland 7/15. You declare it when you book, do this by phone and not online. Arrive early, check in, then you can push or ride it up into the train on the wheelchair ramp they will bring out.

They had never seen one before, but they were totally fine with it.

On the way north they stowed in an empty chair spot, on the way home the train was packed and they stowed it in a staff area. You will need to be able to get to your seat, etc. by yourself as the aisles are too narrow to ride it. It is not considered a piece of checked baggage but you will get a claim check for it.

https://www.amtrak.com/wheeled-mobility-device-services
dudeman1961 is offline   Reply With Quote