SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Tours and Rentals

Notices

Tours and Rentals Issues, experiences & opinions relating to Segway rentals and tours.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:09 PM   #21
Mr_Laurenzano
Mr_Laurenzano will become famous soon enoughMr_Laurenzano will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Exclamation Gen 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Forward Rentals View Post
As a tour operator and of course a "Pro-Segway Advocate", I think quade's plan is a little too risky. That being said, he is completely right! Without a younger generation making these "pigeon holed" machines cool, they will never thrive in future years.

I think instead of shutting down creative ideas like quade's we should embrace it, explain our concerns, work with this creativity and figure out a way to accomplish the common goal, while still staying with in our legal concerns.

Moving Forward Rentals actually has a younger campaign currently in use. We offer a Segway Kids Club Night (ages 9 and up) twice a week at our storefront in Sea Isle City. During these nights we play several games while atop the amazing Segway with the chance to win a Moving Forward Rentals Prize at the end of their session. Kids absolutely love it!!! All the while, anticipating the day then can take one of our tours (NJ law 16 or older in public). This is our attempt to change the stigma for the younger generation.

Quade, is there a way to take in the concerns of business owners, that have much to lose, during a long term experiment? Keep that train of thought flowing...
...the kids are the future, don't quit never give up. Were here to piss you off, that's all.
Theroy is action
Show and tell.
Crash
Old 05-08-2009, 11:02 PM   #22
mark1qhorsey
mark1qhorsey is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Talking Broaden your rental marketing basis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Forward Rentals View Post
We at Moving Forward Rentals are constantly trying to think of new, innovative ways to market our Segway Rental and Tour Company.
Any thoughts or ideas???
Think - what other solid electric mobility devices, in addition to PTs are there? Not everyone wants to ever ride a PT, its balancing is not intuitive for some! So, along with your PT renatals, also rent some low-speed 2-wheeled bikey things like eGOs, and such. Try to match mobility of Segs to the other type. You may catch a lot of folks who would go rent them, with their more adventurous other halves.

In fact in general anyone who thinks they can optimize their Segway business with only PTs is missing the "alternatives" part in an alternative transportation dealerships.
mark1qhorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:52 PM   #23
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1qhorsey View Post
Think - what other solid electric mobility devices, in addition to PTs are there? Not everyone wants to ever ride a PT, its balancing is not intuitive for some! So, along with your PT renatals, also rent some low-speed 2-wheeled bikey things like eGOs, and such. Try to match mobility of Segs to the other type. You may catch a lot of folks who would go rent them, with their more adventurous other halves.

In fact in general anyone who thinks they can optimize their Segway business with only PTs is missing the "alternatives" part in an alternative transportation dealerships.
This is a fantastic idea, IMO. Almost every beach-side bike rental place has things besides bikes. They have trikes, and little pedal car things.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 01:56 PM   #24
Halffro777
Halffro777 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Here's what I use for people who do not want to ride a Segway:

http://www.mygopet.com/

They cost $1200 and have 99% of the same mobility of a Segway(it's more difficult to back up). I have had a ton of people who ride these instead of the Segway and it also a cheap way to add an extra unit to your fleet as there have been countless times when I have all my Segways spoken for and I needed something for me to ride. If you already have a full fleet of Segways this is an awesome way to expand. Call me if you have any questions or interest in acquiring one. Oh yeah, they go 20 miles per hour, and have a longer battery life then the Segway.

Geoff
813-380-1916
Halffro777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:03 PM   #25
mark1qhorsey
mark1qhorsey is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Lightbulb Nice little knockoff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halffro777 View Post
Here's what I use for people who do not want to ride a Segway:

http://www.mygopet.com/

They cost $1200 and have 99% of the same mobility of a Segway... Call me if you have any questions or interest in acquiring one. Oh yeah, they go 20 miles per hour, and have a longer battery life than the Segway. Geoff
813-380-1916
Nice, had never heard of them before. There are a lot of alternatives out there! Good luck
mark1qhorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:22 PM   #26
Florida Ever-Glides
Florida Ever-Glides will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee

Providing the BEST possible tour experience for your guests is the absolute #1 priority. Repeat business and word of mouth is priceless. Gimmicks to bring in more customers is usually short lived and not always good in the long run. In August we will have been operating a Segway Guided Tour 'Attraction' for 6 years (the 1st in the U.S.). Nothing works better than staying focused on providing the guest with a truly unforgettable experience. And don't lose sight about the fact that if you are offering a 'real' tour experience rather than a 'guided ride' you will hve a greater chance of long-term success. cheers...
Old 05-30-2009, 12:39 PM   #27
Copenhagentours
Copenhagentours is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Are there any tried and test means of delivering your product, a Segway Tour, directly to those who are most likely to buy it?! There are no shortage of people that want to "try" a Segway, but there seem's to be a shortage of people that want to pay for the pleasure! What am I doing wrong. I have 9 i2's and have alot of interested tourists. Is two hours to long of a tour to offer people? At around €50/$70 per person in Copenhagen. Has anyone tried using a PR company to get exposure?
Copenhagentours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:32 PM   #28
Florida Ever-Glides
Florida Ever-Glides will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee

First of all, if you have the attitude that what you are doing is simply providing a 'product' for people to just buy, then you may be altogether on the wrong road. You should be providing a unforegetable experience that is the high-point of their vacation. If you are providing a guided 'ride' instead of a well thought out tourist attraction, again this is usually a recipe for business disaster. Also, it is a must that your Segway tour is in a demographic location that attracts both affluent and educated people. For maximum revenue/profit potential the tour should not be any less than 2 hours, or you'll just be working hard and not smart. But you must be able to keep their interest for the duration by providing an 'excellent' and interesting adventure. $70.00 is a good price point if the demographics can support it. I used a PR company when I tried my first expansion in 2005. It was a waste of money and I would not recommend it. Try advertising in 2-3 of the most popular local tourist guides with at least 1/2 page ads. Use a minimal value coupon to track the results of the advertising....Good luck.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:20 PM   #29
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Ever-Glides View Post
First of all, if you have the attitude that what you are doing is simply providing a 'product' for people to just buy, then you may be altogether on the wrong road. You should be providing a unforegetable experience that is the high-point of their vacation. If you are providing a guided 'ride' instead of a well thought out tourist attraction, again this is usually a recipe for business disaster. Also, it is a must that your Segway tour is in a demographic location that attracts both affluent and educated people. For maximum revenue/profit potential the tour should not be any less than 2 hours, or you'll just be working hard and not smart. But you must be able to keep their interest for the duration by providing an 'excellent' and interesting adventure. $70.00 is a good price point if the demographics can support it. I used a PR company when I tried my first expansion in 2005. It was a waste of money and I would not recommend it. Try advertising in 2-3 of the most popular local tourist guides with at least 1/2 page ads. Use a minimal value coupon to track the results of the advertising....Good luck.

Tom,

I see this post as a potential to offer an insight to a superior work ethic, and a goal of excellence. You have a plan and a standard that works for you, and I wish you continued luck with it...

Unfortunately, I see daily that many business people do not put the effort needed to be the best at what they do, and they are satisfied with being merely good enough. The world is full of examples of 'good enough for government work' or 'good enough to get by' and so on... The virtue of striving to be the best there is has been fading on all fronts, and our society has been systematically trying to remove it. That is the reason that there are no scores kept at kids soccer games, and we celebrate so much of the mediocre. When everyone gets a trophy for just being there, there is less motivation to excel.

It is refreshing to hear a person who simply states that the best business plan is to do a spectacular job. If you offer a superior service, you will succeed. Simple and true... While it may be possible to offer a lesser service and still succeed, it is not nearly as likely, and of course, leaves you open to being bested by another with more drive... One advantage to being the very best at what you do, is that all the competition is behind you... (As opposed to all around)

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 05:23 PM   #30
AggiePhil
AggiePhil is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Any photos or videos of how the Lean Seat is used?
AggiePhil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
moving forward rentals, new jersey shore, sea isle city, segway rentals, segway tours