SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Tours and Rentals

Notices

Tours and Rentals Issues, experiences & opinions relating to Segway rentals and tours.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:10 PM   #1
Moving Forward Rentals
Moving Forward Rentals is on a distinguished road

Location: Servicing Sea Isle City, the South Jersey Shore, and Philadelphia
5 yr Member
Default Unusual Marketing Ideas

We at Moving Forward Rentals are constantly trying to think of new, innovative ways to market our Segway Rental and Tour Company. We try to interact with new and existing customers every way we can. Our business is seasonal as we are located in Sea Isle City, New Jersey (along the Jersey Shore). The majority of our clientele are vacationers that have always come to the shore for a family get away. New Families are discovering us every year and they seem to always come back.

Moving Forward Rentals utilizes customer mailing and emailing lists, print advertising, Internet advertising, and so on... I still feel we are missing something though. As we are in an area where competition is very low...

What other different, radical, catchy ways are you other Rental and Tour Companies marketing you businesses? We should push for a national "Segway Rental" campaign...as we all would look to capitalize on exposure and awareness! Let's create a Segway Groundswell! Any thoughts or ideas???
Moving Forward Rentals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:19 PM   #2
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Are you targeting the elderly and disabled in any way? How about offering to do a demonstation at senior centers or retirement communities?
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:35 PM   #3
Moving Forward Rentals
Moving Forward Rentals is on a distinguished road

Location: Servicing Sea Isle City, the South Jersey Shore, and Philadelphia
5 yr Member

No I haven't done enough "target" advertising. I think that you have a couple great ideas. We have several "active adult communities" that I think would be a perfect place to do demonstrations and tryouts.

Any other ideas??? What about the "National Segway Tours Campaign" either print, Internet, TV, radio, or combination of these??? We need to start working together more and view it as "us against the rest of things to do" and not against each other!
Moving Forward Rentals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:57 AM   #4
DarthSegVator
DarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default Offer High LeanSeat's

Note: Totally self-serving post...

How about offering a couple of units with a high LeanSeat for disabled or elderly customers that may have a difficult time standing for long periods without a break?

High LeanSeat on Gen 2 machine.

100_0965.jpg

High LeanSeat on Gen 1 machine.

IMG_3200.jpg

The LeanSeat can be used on either Gen 1 or Gen 2 machines. Installation and removal is only (3) three screws per side and can be done in minutes.

With the baby boomers beginning to turn 65 (at the rate of 12,000 per day) in the next couple of years, the market for providing options to people that have difficulty walking longer distances is enormous and a great service to provide and promote.

Try to identify reasons why someone that shows interest in your tour decides against taking one. Price or technophobia could be reasons. Weather or available time to do the tour as well. You may be surprised that some will indicate that they just don't think they can stand that long or will get too tired and not be able to complete the tour.

Then post/advertise your special offering on the appropriate websites.
DarthSegVator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:33 AM   #5
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Forward Rentals View Post
No I haven't done enough "target" advertising. I think that you have a couple great ideas. We have several "active adult communities" that I think would be a perfect place to do demonstrations and tryouts.
Remember that "elderly" and "disabled" can be "active adults" too....<G> One will never know how a Segway fits a person's needs until they have a chance to try it out.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:42 AM   #6
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Bring free demos to where people are, and have a little time to try it.

Avoid venues with alcohol, of course. but county fairs, green fairs, job fairs.

This might be especially good during the latter part of the off-season, when you may have more time (depending on what you do during the off-season).

Retirement and assisted living facilities would fall under this umbrella as well. But I'd go further, and offer local physical and occupational therapists, and others who work with seniors and the disabled free tours.

Make them fun, and make them education -- both for them and for you. If you have existing disabled customers, invite them to come along to demo. Try to learn how you can help them help customers who might potentially benefit from owning one.

Offer a no-risk trial -- if the Segway doesn't suit them and they can't complete the tour on the Segway, it's free. That's not just for the disabled and seniors -- that's also for people who are timid.

If you can bring your Segways to places where tourists frequent, you can offer free demo trials in advance of tour time, and maybe you can get people hooked into a paying tour. Usually tours are tucked away a bit out of the way (for cost reasons) and rely on flyers, which I don't think are nearly as effective as as people actually seeing them in operation, seeing other people on them, and trying them themselves.

I see some drawbacks -- distractions while watching the safety video and during instruction are issues you'd have to manage. You don't want to be right in the thick of things, but on the boundary of an area with lots of customers, and a quieter area to train, while still being visible.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:59 PM   #7
SegNerd
SegNerd will become famous soon enoughSegNerd will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Well, since you said unusual, different, radical, and catchy, I did have this one idea for something like this...

SegNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:57 PM   #8
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegNerd View Post
Well, since you said unusual, different, radical, and catchy, I did have this one idea for something like this...

Yeah that's the perfect image that we should be projecting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:15 PM   #9
emrnyc
emrnyc is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Thumbs up I Like it!!!

I Like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gihgehls View Post
Yeah that's the perfect image that we should be projecting.

NYC's Only Segway Trained Level 1 & Level 2 Service Tech

8 EMS - 37 PAPD - 23 NYPD - 343 FDNY
Never forget our Brother & Sister Heroes 9/11/01.
It was not how they died that made them heroes.....
It was how they lived!

Check out Emergency Medical Rescue of New York City's website
emrnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:36 PM   #10
SegNerd
SegNerd will become famous soon enoughSegNerd will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Hey, it was just a thought. You certainly don't have to use it!
SegNerd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
moving forward rentals, new jersey shore, sea isle city, segway rentals, segway tours