SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:28 PM   #21
GlennO
GlennO is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

The Gen 1 side bags were good because of their size. I got used to them and then got the Givi bags - which look better but are too wide and not long enough. The bags should be 6 x 17" O.D. in size, the same as the cargo plates. If they are any wider (as the Givi bags are now), putting both of them on makes them too wide to get out of a standard 30" door.

The bag height depends on what we are using them for. I can easily see having a short one (maybe 6" tall) but with a flat top to it so that if I had to, I could put another soft bag on top of it, and bungie cord it to the plate. All in all though, I'd rather have a bag that was about 12" high.

Doing that would require that the bottom of the bag be only 4" wide, and would be rounded up and out to 6", leaving enough room to slip a bungie cord hook though the holes in the cargo plate.

I would recommend having four holes along that 4" width and 17" length. Holes that align with the holes in the cargo plates, so that we could bolt them on. The top should be lockable, but removable too. If I had a 16" square mirror, it would be nice to be able to take the lid off of it, and possibly put it in the bag too, thus bracing the mirror somewhat.

Glenn
GlennO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:43 AM   #22
florin
The Gliding Dutchman
florin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

2 more additional wishes from me:

Something that really hugs (= wrap around) the leansteer in a pretty way, or at least that also the back of the leansteer is covered. When I'm not wearing a jacket, the buckle of my belt touches the leansteer, which causes stratches on the paint.

It would also be nice if you could optionally have a audio system for your iPod/iPhone have build into the case/bag. The controls on the top, small speakers on the top or at the side and inside a compartment where your iPod/iPhone could be stored safely.

Florin
florin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:34 AM   #23
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Default 17" Laptop in i2 Cargo Kit

Bob,

Both JRWILCOX and I use the i2 lower cargo kit for carrying our laptops. I put two cuts on the front and back with my dremil cutoff wheel about 1-1/2 inches apart.

I then slipped a laptop holder into the just created slot and whala, a 17" carrier.

jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.Kerns View Post
Using my spine as a suspension is not a very good thing. Not with the bulging disks due to an inattentive driver, and not with the family history of osteoporosis and such.

The only viable system I've found is a particular, very large backpack, with a computer briefcase inside. This puts the weight on my hips rather than my spine.

I also have to carry an assortment of meds & medical equipment, so it adds up to a very bulky, and often, very heavy load.

Someday I won't be able to manage it. It's already very awkward on the ferry.

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:40 AM   #24
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbackes View Post
Bob,

Both JRWILCOX and I use the i2 lower cargo kit for carrying our laptops. I put two cuts on the front and back with my dremil cutoff wheel about 1-1/2 inches apart.

I then slipped a laptop holder into the just created slot and whala, a 17" carrier.

jeff
Thanks. I'll have to figure out the logistics of using it on the ferry with the added width. I won't be able to make it through the fare gate, which is barely possible without them.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:51 AM   #25
SegwayDan
Advanced Member
SegwayDan has a spectacular aura aboutSegwayDan has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbackes View Post
Bob,

jeff
Hey, the French are French and all, but we could at least show a little respect by getting ONE WORD right, eh? Is that too much to ask?

It's "voila", not "whala". And you say it with a "v" sound in front of the "w": vwala. It means, "look there". "Voi" means "look", and "la" means "there."

Dan Swanson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

727-403-2628

Last edited by SegwayDan; 02-04-2009 at 03:55 PM..
SegwayDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:36 PM   #26
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegwayDan View Post
Hey, the French are French and all, but we could at least show a little respect by getting ONE WORD right, eh? Its that too much to ask?

It's "voila", not "whala". And you say it with a "v" sound in front of the "w": vwala. It means, "look there". "Voi" means "look", and "la" means "there."

That may indeed be the most famous and most used french word, after, "I surrender!"

I know it was just a bad joke in bad taste, but I though it was funny, even if it was a little dis to the French...

By the way, where were the first French Fries cooked?

Please note, I did not say "freedom Fries".

The first french fries were cooked in grease, of course...

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:56 PM   #27
funky-move.de
funky-move.de will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Default FMC High Quality Custom Bag for your Segway

Here are some pictures of our high end Front Bag... Its totaly stripped down and new buildet in high quality leather... i hope you like the pictures..

Olaf

Segway Customizing in Germany

funky-move.de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:18 PM   #28
DesertSeg
DesertSeg is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Looks great! Could you post a picture of it installed?
DesertSeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:52 PM   #29
DesertSeg
DesertSeg is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I believe the Gen 1 bag that went with the e cargo system fits the bill you made up. It was a better shape (in my opinion) and had a flip open Cordura top, with a large see thru window in it, and on the glider's side (rear) it had two large pockets, one on either side, that could easily accomodate a large bottle of soda or water. One side had an elastic rim, and the other had that and an additional drawstring and taller insert, so you could put smaller items in and then close them up...
I just realized that I bought one of these "cargo systems" on eBay! It came with the rack, side bags, and front bag but I thought the front bag attached to the front part of the rack an didn't know it was supposed to go over the handlebars! I'm not sure if it's better looking that the soft bag, but I do like the fact that it's semi rigid.
DesertSeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:09 PM   #30
emrnyc
emrnyc is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default EMS Bags

[PHP[/PHP]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Krause View Post
Hi folks,
I am a designer of semi-rigid (or semi-soft, if you prefer) bag systems
for several different industries. I work closely with Foarm, Inc. of
Santa Barbara, CA. Foarm's products are designed and made right there in SB.

The basic technology employed is usually referred to as 'EVA Bags' however
Foarm focus on higher-end composites that do NOT contain Vinyl.
The result is that we can create bags, holsters, cases and bins that are
both structural AND yet compliant, user-friendly and UV/weather resistant.

It is also practical to offer this technology with knife-proof materials
and lockable access for un-attended Segs.

In case you were wondering WHY there seem to be no aftermarket
bag options custom-designed for Segway applications, it is because the
Segway market for bag systems is too small to attract Chinese mfgs.
Chinese manufacturers have minimums that make custom designs for
Segway models unprofitable for them. - But not for us. We can do
moderate volumes of bags very efficiently in the US.

I have started a file for Segway owner comments regarding bag systems
and I would like to extend an invitation for comments on the subject.
Comments should be made through this forum exclusively to ensure
that the ideas or suggestions expressed are not considered proprietary.

I can't promise I'll develop aftermarket bag systems for this application
but that will depend substantially upon YOUR feedback and the percieved need.
Best Regards.
Jeff Krause
My page count is under 5 (newbie) so for now just search google for:
Custom EVA Bags (exact phrase) if you want to research Foarm or myself.
Hi
We use our segs for EMS and have medical bags from Segway of Ut in the Givi bags.
What would be good for us would be bags that would hold the medical equipment and defib that attach to the cargo plates (or other mounts) that would be able to totaly be removed from the Segway.
Thanks
Martin
718 474 0680

NYC's Only Segway Trained Level 1 & Level 2 Service Tech

8 EMS - 37 PAPD - 23 NYPD - 343 FDNY
Never forget our Brother & Sister Heroes 9/11/01.
It was not how they died that made them heroes.....
It was how they lived!

Check out Emergency Medical Rescue of New York City's website
emrnyc is offline   Reply With Quote