SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 09-03-2011, 01:58 PM   #1
Goodbaum
Goodbaum is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Banned from grocery store: human rights issue

Hi, it's a long story but I just wanted to post a few details about what happened to me.

A particular security guard who works on the weekends at a particular super market in Toronto has confronted me previously about my Segway. This time she got an employee to tell me I shouldn't come back and then when I asked to talk to the manager I was told it looked unsafe and was banned from the store. This is after I explained to them that I am differently abled and am not able to shop without it because I can't walk more than a few steps currently due to chronic centrally prolapsed disc. I was treated extremely rudely and took it upon myself to call the police who nonetheless compounded the problem by not coming to help and referring me to the human rights council. The human rights council law advise help line didn't help me! In fact they acted like I had no right to be upset because of the rareness of the Segway, even repeating what the store clerk had said, saying that I should have brought a doctors note that says I need a Segway. Nevermind that that violates me privacy and is clearly ableist.

After having another store, the Beer Store mock me and harass me when I came in until a manager set things right (I was told that degenerative disc disease is "just something everyone goes through as they age and they learn to deal with it and get over it" after I had already explained that I've had Guillain Barre for seven years and am partially paralyzed.

I finally took the issue to my local counselor and she is going to contact the MP as well as look into what legal issues are at play here, so hopefully this unfair treatment will stop soon. There should be a permit or some kind of thing to solve this problem.

Anyways other than that so far so amazing.
Goodbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:00 AM   #2
rickb
rickb is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Do you display a placard on your Segway?
rickb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:18 AM   #3
hn7609
hn7609 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I'm just a little curious.....how do you use the Segway to do your daily shopping?? I suffer with ALS and use my Segway for mobility but I would never attempt to do the grocery shopping with it. I could go in and get a candy bar but certainly can't carry any packages, etc. Not trying to be rude or anything......just wondering how you do it?
hn7609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:42 AM   #4
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I wish I had an answer for you but unfortunately although Canada has done research on the Segway there are no protections in place.

In not well versed in Canadian Civel Rights Law so you'll need to dig to see if there is anything you can hang on this supermarket.

Check out this link, don't know currant status :
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...-faq.shtml#a14

Be Big,
AMAC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:50 AM   #5
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

http://www.segwaydisabled.blogspot.com/

Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:06 PM   #6
Pkelley
Pkelley is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Smile

Despite the safety weenies protestations about me causing graves harm to life and limb, I use my Segway as needed. *God forbid one of these overseers of potential calamity ever need aid in walking. Because by their own decree they have declare them selves ineligible to us anything other than dragging as solution to their mobility needs. *Life is fraught with risk, and let us not forget that we have an instinctive survival mechanism to deal with danger and so I say to all protectors of my safety feel free to state the obvious to contemplate the what if you (fill in the blank) an kill your self. *I will not expect them *to live up to their own principled protest. *If they ever find themselves *needing a mobility aid I will suggest they try a Segway and warn them the most likely problem they will have is dealing with the safety weenies.

Pkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:50 AM   #7
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hn7609 View Post
I'm just a little curious.....how do you use the Segway to do your daily shopping?? I suffer with ALS and use my Segway for mobility but I would never attempt to do the grocery shopping with it. I could go in and get a candy bar but certainly can't carry any packages, etc. Not trying to be rude or anything......just wondering how you do it?
I use my seg for shopping all the time. I use one of the little baskets for a few things and push a cart if I need more things. I do have a seat on it though, I cant picture pushing a cart while standing. As far a checking out, any store worth their salt and my business will gladly take things out of the cart for you and assist you in getting back to your car if you need it. If they wont, there are plenty of other stores that will. I do it at our Home Depot as well and have bought lumber and all sorts of other things too. Dont be afraid to ask for some assistance if you need it. Best wishes.
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:48 AM   #8
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwoynaro View Post
I use my seg for shopping all the time. I use one of the little baskets for a few things and push a cart if I need more things. I do have a seat on it though, I cant picture pushing a cart while standing. As far a checking out, any store worth their salt and my business will gladly take things out of the cart for you and assist you in getting back to your car if you need it. If they wont, there are plenty of other stores that will. I do it at our Home Depot as well and have bought lumber and all sorts of other things too. Dont be afraid to ask for some assistance if you need it. Best wishes.
I have a string tote that I drape over the handlebars--making the things I pick up visible. As for pushing the carts, I practiced out in the far corner of the Walmart parking lot first <G> but I assure you that it can be done and that your Seg is far easier to maneuver than the shapping cart! So choose your cart...
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:48 PM   #9
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

When on foot, I always seem to get the cart with the wobbly wheel.

I wonder how that would affect the segway, pushing a cart that is out of balance itself, or not tracking straight.

When I have shopped with segway, it always was with a bag or basket off the handlebars. Far more often however, I leave the machine in the front of the store.

I do not have nearly the mobility limitations as some however, so that is not a factor.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:59 PM   #10
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

I have the cargo kit and just fill up the side bags, works great.

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote