SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:16 PM   #1
westleypipes70
westleypipes70 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default problem with key!!! help!!

Ok so I have an i2 I have had it since 2007. I had two seperate keys....lost one in a corn maze...long story short I started using the lanyard key and worked for a while...I accidently washed the key and the battery went dead so I got a new battery for the key! On the key I can go through all the setting....setting my time distance and all and can even get into settings on key!! Now here is the tricky part... when I hit the power button to turn on my segway it doesn't do Jack squat! The time on the top of the display dims a little bit...but they battery is brand new....the little antenna at the bottom of the display doesn't even come on! Well just the little black thing that looks like a golf tee but no signal...can some one help!!! I am not sure whats wrong and I don't want to have to buy a 220 dollar key!
westleypipes70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:08 PM   #2
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

It sounds like the key does not make an encrypted radio connection with the Seg. The problem might be on either end

How long has it been since your Seg has been powered up? What does your battery lights show when the Seg is plugged in?

However, washing the key was a bad thing. It may have caused problems beyond a dead battery. All you need is a bit of corrosion in there. You could try opening it up and searching for damage. Sometimes (sometimes), a little careful removal of corrosion between pcb tracks with an X-Acto knife can fix the problem. However, you might need to buy a new key.
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:24 PM   #3
westleypipes70

5 yr Member

Thank you...yea my battery's are goo I keep it plugged in...if you let the batteries die completely you can damage the battery....the seg tech told me changing the batteries around could help it....but they are flashing green which means they are fully charged! But I was told you can open it up by using finger nail Polish remover to remove the glue on the little hexagon screws....he said cleaning in between the buttons can save you from getting a key...but he said also if your battery is bad that it will give you an error...so I am going to try and open it up.... thanks again for your insight helps me out a lot..points me in the right direction....
Old 03-26-2011, 11:57 PM   #4
team222badbrad
team222badbrad is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

It may already be toast, but it may fix the issue if you take it apart to let the innards dry out for several days.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
team222badbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:36 PM   #5
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

The key has to be programmed to work with a particular segway. Perhaps while being washed, that particular part of the program was washed away...

You may find that you need to reprogram the key itself...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:13 PM   #6
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Sounds like the zigbee part of the board is dead while the rest is working.

"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:06 PM   #7
FrostyEOD
FrostyEOD will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gihgehls View Post
Sounds like the zigbee part of the board is dead while the rest is working.
Sounds about right - the wireless (zigbee) could be inoperative
FrostyEOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:32 PM   #8
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by westleypipes70 View Post
Thank you...yea my battery's are goo I keep it plugged in...if you let the batteries die completely you can damage the battery....the seg tech told me changing the batteries around could help it....but they are flashing green which means they are fully charged! But I was told you can open it up by using finger nail Polish remover to remove the glue on the little hexagon screws....he said cleaning in between the buttons can save you from getting a key...but he said also if your battery is bad that it will give you an error...so I am going to try and open it up.... thanks again for your insight helps me out a lot..points me in the right direction....
It seems that you have two issues here...

There is a battery in the info key, and there are hex key screws on the key that are often filled with glue...

Opening the key and those screws is one thing, but replacing the battery in the key does not require loosening those screws, just take the removable back off first, then use the spare battery to unscrew the whole back using the big slot there. You can replace the info key battery this way and should do so as your first next step.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:49 AM   #9
westleypipes70

5 yr Member
Default thanks for the help!! but its not the key...battery!!!

First of thank you all for all the help its much appreciated...so since my problem isn't the key..the battery is bad....well not bad the tech said that they over made these things that's why they are so indistructable!!! But anyway he said the battery will not be recognized by the Segway if its like below 70 volts or something....he said the rear battery is what the Segway runs off of....the onboard inside the Segway is constantly pushing out radio frequency to tell the key all the information it has to to boot up ..so when of course you don't keep your Segway charging at all times it can get below that voltage it needs to communicate with the key...something I learned!!! Also if you can't get the key to communicate with the Segway, switch your front battery with your back battery...normally the back battery is bad first. Once we put new batteries in it and realized it wad the batteries we put my old ones back in(switched around) and my key communicated with the Segway ...and ut gave ne an error E042! Its bad battery! I guess my question is ...can i revive this sucker or boost it at home...my buddy said Segway doesn't condone it but he said you can send a jolt of power to it ( overcharge it ) and gets it above the 70v that it needs to charge it..on an onboard charger...so you have to boost it and instantly put it on the charger . Also if that doesn't work what's the direction I need to take in getting this fixed? Besides ebay or craigslist
Thanks again for all your help
Westley

Tags
i2, key, segway