SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Ratings and Reviews > Accessories for Your Segway

Notices

Accessories for Your Segway Rate and review various accessories available for your Segway.

Headlight
Headlight
A Non-INC Solution
Published by bentbiker
12-31-2008
Author rating
Work as described?
100%100%100%
Enhances Segway experience?
100%100%100%
Shipping and instructions
20%20%20%
Recommend to a friend?
100%100%100%
Average 80%
Default Headlight

I'm assuming that accessories reviewed here need not be manufactured by INC, especially now that INC has removed their headlight from the list of available accessories. Although I have great NiteRider Flight Li-Ion HID headlight, it is expensive, vulnerable to theft, and once installed on the accessory bar, it has a single purpose.

I recently purchased an Aurora Tactical Flashlight that is powered by a single 18650 Li-Ion battery (same size as the cells in the Segway). It has 5 modes of operation:
Medium brightness
Low brightness
High brightness
Fast strobe (great for daylight usage)
SOS
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15740

Bottom line is that I believe it is about as bright as the NiteRider and only 15% of the price (with 2 batteries, a charger and the mount). So far I've only been able to test one of the two mounts I ordered (one is still backordered), but this $2 quick-release mount at http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.792

seems perfect, assuming it holds up over time. It probably needs to be mounted to an accessory bar, and with the quick release, I now have the brightest flashlight I will ever need for use around the house or leading a SWAT team into a nighttime exercise.

For about $60, I couldn't be happier. However, in the interest of full disclosure, be advised that it took almost 2 months and many communications to get the product. Everything went wrong and my order was marked as complete when they had only shipped the charger and batteries. I know other customers have NOT had these problems, but stuff can happen, especially when you are trying to buy from a company half way around the globe. If you are interested, the parts you want are:
15740_____Aurora AK-P7-4 HA-III SSC P7-C 5-Mode 900-Lumen LED Flashlight (1*18650)_____$38.90
00792_____Flashlight Mount_____________________________________________ ____________$1.99
05790_____TrustFire Protected 18650 Lithium Battery (2500mAh 2-Pack Blue)_______________$10.00
06105_____Digital Li-Ion 18650 Battery Charger________________________________________$8. 44
Member rating
Work as described?
20%20%20%
Enhances Segway experience?
20%20%20%
Shipping and instructions
40%40%40%
Recommend to a friend?
20%20%20%
1 user rated 25% average

Review Tools

Latest 5 reviews
By bentbiker on 04-13-2009, 06:35 PM

This is what the light looks like when mounted on the accessory bar.

By Bob.Kerns on 04-14-2009, 10:00 PM

It looks like that mounting would detract from using the accessory bar as a handle for pulling the Segway up stairs?

Which I did an awful lot of on Sunday (I still can hardly move today -- from moving me, not the Segway). It really helps to pull from the center.

Just an observation of a tradeoff, not a criticism.
By DesertSeg on 07-14-2009, 07:05 PM

I mounted two of these on a custom made bracket so they are just below the handlebar bag and they are SUPER bright!
Comment