SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:46 PM   #1
leeoulton
leeoulton is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Smile X2 Tyre conversion in England Uk

Hi all,

I have been getting confused reading all kinds of info related to all Segway models. I am trying to find the answer to my question.

We currently have six X2's all with the standard Segway All terrain tyres.
We are hoping to make the fleet up to 10. There are used X2's widely available in the UK at half the price. However they are former X2 Golf with the turf tyres on.
So the question is. If we bought theses machines, how straight forward is it to convert them to all terrain tyres. Genuine or non genuine parts.

I've seen links to sites but all overseas and would be to pricey to ship especially from the USA.

Any non confusing info would be highly appreciated.
Shipping from somewhere in Europe would be cheaper I suppose if anyone knows any other similar tyres which will fit.

Thank you for reading.
leeoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:59 PM   #2
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Genuine and I believe the tyres are around a hundred pounds.
Segway have introduced a new wheel style for the X2 however, so you may want to contact them about it.

I think standard off road (knobby) tyres will fit on the turf rims, but I cannot guarantee.
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:32 PM   #3
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

CovRob (on here) has done this I believe as he gave me expert advice on converting my x2t into a plain x2. I cannot recall the details I'm afraid. I'll dig out my old emails to see if I have them in there.

I already had the x2 tyres (from Segway UK). I justed needed smaller screws (because the x2t are wider and come with spacers and longer screws) and a handyman to swap the tyres. I took mine to a motorbike shop who did them. Then refitted the wheels without the spacers and using the shorter screws.

Good luck.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:37 PM   #4
CovRob
CovRob will become famous soon enoughCovRob will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Hi Lee,

It's not a difficult task and all the parts can be sourced from UK suppliers. Segway UK did have a stock of OE X2 tyres that were priced around the £50 mark, but that was well over a year ago. I know they now also offer X2 wheels & tyres but are asking £260 each.

The X2 Turf wheel rim is the same as the ordinary X2. As Gareth said, it's the tyre and fixing bolts that are different and a case of removing the aluminium spacer too.

What I did when I went through exactly the same exercise as you want to do is:
Tyres: I used Maxxis Razr M931 tyres 21 x 7.00-10 but other brands are available around £60-£70 each;
Remove the spacer plate used to move the wheel further out from the gearbox;
Replace the bolts used to fix the spacer with shorter ones. I sourced mine from ondrives.com, select "shoulder screws" from their "fasteners" link and you'll get a pdf of all their fasteners. On page 491 the part number you want is AM10-30 (4 required per wheel) 71p per bolt plus VAT plus delivery;
A local tyre fitter swapped the tyres.

Good luck - it's not a difficult task, but if you need to, PM me.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:40 AM   #5
leeoulton
leeoulton is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Thanks

Thanks all. I feel a bit happier now I know it is possible. This group is brilliant. Thank you very much
leeoulton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tyre, x2