SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > New Member Introductions

Notices

New Member Introductions Welcome to our community! Come in and introduce yourself to other members!

Old 12-23-2011, 03:17 PM   #1
BoscoBob
BoscoBob is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Gimp on a Segway

I'm new here and wanted to say "Howdy" to all the other gliders here.

I purchased my i2 Commuter last May and have close to 1,100 miles in the last 7 months.

I have been a gimp for over 7 years and have been a virtual prisoner in my home during that time. A 2-block walk (my maximum distance) usually ran about 20 minutes. I finally realized that I truly needed mobility assistance and started comparing models.

The Hoveround® is big, heavy, slow, top-heavy and has horrible range and anything with more than a 1" gap makes for a dangerous go. Don't even think about carrying it in a Corolla!

The Rascal® 3-wheel is top-heavy and during a turn during a test drive, it tipped over, with me on it. No way!

I finally thought about the Segway, and a local dealer had demo rides for a reasonable price. The hook was baited, and I jumped at it.

First impression...this is flippin' easy! The guy who rode out with me for the demo had warned that getting on the Segway, that the most important thing was to not try to balance. Since I absolutely cannot balance without crutches, it took me about 5 seconds to adapt. After an hour and a half over varying terrain (we're talking grass, gravel...the works), I was convinced and told him to charge one up overnight and I'd be by with cash the following day. (He also felt that I was comfortable enough to take it out of "turtle" mode after the first hour. That clinched the deal!)

Today, I talk to people at eye level and rarely drive my car anymore (much to my physician's relief). After living as a virtual hermit for 7 years, my life has truly changed. My local store always greets me with a smile, and even if I forget my Gimpo Sticker, they have never hassled me about using it in their store. I make a point to go at a very, very slow pace in the store, and generally try to be courteous.

The oddest thing about a Segway is that I stand still, and the Segway shakes. It almost makes me feel...well, normal again.

BoscoBob
Nemo hic adest illius nominis.
BoscoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:14 AM   #2
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Welcome Bob.

I am glad you have discovered the segway, and appreciate you sharing insights into other devices.

Glide well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:36 AM   #3
Lx007
Lx007 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Hello Bob.

I am also new to a Segway for increased mobility. This has been the best site for information and assistance.

What made you choose "There's no one here by that name." for your signature tagline? Pretty funny!
Lx007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:41 AM   #4
BoscoBob

5 yr Member
Default In Latin is truth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lx007 View Post
Hello Bob.
[snip]
What made you choose "There's no one here by that name." for your signature tagline? Pretty funny!
Because my name is neither Bosco, nor Bob. I never had children, but swore if one ever "just showed up", that I would name him "Bosco Robert" so I could call him BoscoBob.

Maybe it's a good idea that I never did have children...
Old 12-27-2011, 01:59 AM   #5
aricisom
aricisom is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Thumbs up

Welcome Bob,

I also have balance issues due to missing toes, and other problems. The Segway has also gotton me out of the house more. It is a great machine, and this is a great forum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aric Isom

How-To - What-For - Why-So-Funny

Please visit:
aricisom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:14 AM   #6
BoscoBob

5 yr Member
Default Gimp on a Segway

Quote:
Originally Posted by aricisom View Post
Welcome Bob,

I also have balance issues due to missing toes, and other problems. The Segway has also gotton me out of the house more. It is a great machine, and this is a great forum.
I'm just missing brain tissue that makes me wobble and shake. On my Segway, it shakes, and I stay motionless. Way too great!

Addendum: I apologize if anybody is offended by the term "Gimp". I prefer that word to "handicapped" or "disabled". Those words imply that there is something wrong with me. "Gimp" is about my body, and not who I am. My 2¢, for what it's worth...
Old 12-27-2011, 04:52 AM   #7
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by aricisom View Post
Welcome Bob,

Every morning when I wake up, I try to guess how many toes I have, and whether they are on fire.

The guesses vary, but so far, the real answer is always 10, and no flames.

Right now it seems to be 3 toes, 2 on fire, the other covered in snake skin, and one heel is completely missing. Neither foot is being stabbed with an ice pick, only one foot is vibrating.

Thank goodness I still have my eyes to check up on what's going on down there. Walking can be kind of iffy out there in the real world when your feet make stuff up, and don't do what you tell them. The Segway virtually always does what I tell it to do.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disabled, i2