SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:01 AM   #1
klochto
klochto is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default i2 vs x2 for rainy belgium city

Hello,

I have tried i2 during few days in DC , it was wonderful clean streets adapted
to running seg.

But i want to buy one now to run it in brussels witch is dirty rainy city with
quite big "stairs" all over the streets and it much much less adapted to run a wheel chair for example.

So i'm considering to buy an X2 as it will allow me simple transitions between
the footpaths and the street and will be more "bump" tolerant.

I would like to know what is the real overheat of an X2 in term of range .

I can read its a half of an i2 but in offroad use . Witch is normal but on flat street i can hardly imagine to loose half of the range because of the bigger wheels and low pressure tires .

Can some x2 owner get me the "real picture" . Maybe there is some "tricks" like increasing pressure on an x2 , etc .

Thanks
c
klochto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:21 AM   #2
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default The X2 though a better ride......

is bigger and more imposing, especially on a city sidewalk or street, as I recall your city has some narrow streets with even narrower sidewalks. So think about it from someone who will be approaching you, you will be pretty scary looking on a x2

While the i2 is more designed for urban enviornments and is smaller to go on and into spaces that the x2 can not.

Remember neither machine climbs up stairs.

but both machines can go down over curbs and with LOTS OF PRACTICE other things.

I would say a i2 in a european city would work well.

And don't worry about the rain or dirt, the Segway is very tough and can handle all of that. You will of course want to clean them before bringing them inside with you.
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:51 AM   #3
jrvcd
jrvcd is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I have an XT and during Segfest in longbeach i pumped up my tires to 8 psi and i was able to get more range i belive we rode about 20 miles on that loop also now for the street i run the x2 golf tires for the street and it works great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jrvcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:32 AM   #4
klochto
klochto is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

how can you go down a large "step" with an i2 without bumping it hard ?
klochto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 12:37 PM   #5
Seginaway
Seginaway will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

The X2 has a lot of advantages for use in a bumpy, dirty environment however its size is a big minus. Notwithstanding the idea that an X2 is very intimidating to pedestrians in limited spaces vs. the much sleeker and smaller I2, the X2 is more difficult to manage in tight environments vs. the I2. It doesn't fit through doorways as well and takes up more of the sidewalk. If Brussels has small sidewalks, it will take up the whole sidewalk which is not a good thing for interactions with the general public.

That aside, the distance one can expect on an X2 in an urban environment is much higher than the 12 miles, or in your case 19 km, listed by INC. I use my X2 in a suburban/rural area (in NO situation or manner that INTIMIDATES pedestrians) and feel comfortable with a 17 -19 mile range, 27 - 30Km with higher than recommended tire pressures. This, of course, is primarily on asphalt with limited hills and valleys in relatively warm weather. Higher tire pressure, 8 - 10 psi vs. recommended 4 psi, will enhance distance and detract from ride quality. 8 - 10 psi makes asphalt glides rougher and limits your off road control as the firmer tires bounce off of terrain imperfections to a much greater degree than when they are filled to the recommended 4 psi. Its a tradeoff that one has to make depending on the intended glide.

As far as steps or curbs, going down is easily traversed after some practice but uphill is a no no. The higher the curb the greater the jolt and there has been some talk here that the jolt at the bottom may not be good for the electronics and other internals. As a result, I've limited my curb drops to only those times that it is absolutely necessary.

Good luck.

Last edited by Seginaway; 05-09-2008 at 12:43 PM.. Reason: Forgot to add info about tire psi.
Seginaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:16 PM   #6
Isidore
Isidore will become famous soon enoughIsidore will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I can't imagine that the conditions in Brussels are that different from London and like other posters here I would worry about the size of the X2 if you are going to use it on the pavement rather than the road. The i2 works fine and you can go into lifts and through doorways through which the X2 just wouldn't fit. That by itself would be a real problem in every day use for me. I would get an i2 and if you really find that you are restricted in the size of step you can go off you can always get some turf wheels and tyres. For me it's much less of a problem to step off for a moment when getting up or down too big a step than to have to drag an X2 sideways through a doorway!
Old 05-10-2008, 02:18 AM   #7
CovRob
CovRob will become famous soon enoughCovRob will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I've run an i2 for over 700 miles on UK roads. I've just bought x2's with turf tyres for a guided tour set-up and have been playing with them near where I live.They are agreat fun. The tyres on the x2 give a softer ride (even though I've upped the pressures from 4 to 8psi) but the width and difference software profile makes them less responsive on on-road journies. The i2 is very robust and capable and for city use I wouldn't have anything else.

Tags
i2, range, stair, x2